PDA

View Full Version : Long shot: identify a frame by the serial #

tsarpepe
02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Seems hopeless, but I'll try. I am trying to identify an Italian steel frame that has been resprayed. All I have is the serial number: Y098I00651. Does anyone have a similar-looking sequence under their BB shell?

4Rings6Stars
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Seems hopeless, but I'll try. I am trying to identify an Italian steel frame that has been resprayed. All I have is the serial number: Y098I00651. Does anyone have a similar-looking sequence under their BB shell?

Check bikeforums.net classic and vintage. Post some pics of the lugs, seat tube/stay junction, bb shell, brazeons...etc. also check seat tube diameter and verify Italian threading.

oliver1850
02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I agree with 4rings. Every detail is a piece of the puzzle. I checked my late 80s Basso and Pinarello and my 93 Bianchi, but no similarity in serial numbers.

ultraman6970
02-05-2012, 09:24 PM
A picture will help a lot.

bargainguy
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I had a similar situation with the bike below. Definitely Italian, but the guy who sold it to me had no clue who made it.

I schlepped this bike around to every old bike nut I know. All did the head tilt and scratch thing, not a clue.

So I started researching on Classic Rendezvous under Italian. All I had to go on was that the chrome head lugs had triangular/heart cutouts, there was the same cutout on the chainstay bridge, and the fork crown had a distinctive shape.

Eventually tracked it down as most likely a Fiorelli (what Fausto Coppi rode), other possibility a Medici. Fork crowns look the same. Windows on the lugs are less a decorative item than a way for the brazer to see where the metal is flowing according to the CR website.

By the way, bike is long gone, but if anyone here recognizes the maker, feel free to prove me wrong.

Don