PDA

View Full Version : SLO / Paso Robles / Central Coast area

mvrider
02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
My wife and I live in the Bay Area, and we thought we'd take a road trip down to the Central Coast area over Memorial Day weekend (our first anniversary!) for some riding, dining, and imbibing. It seems like many forum members live in or are familiar with that area, so I thought I'd reach out.

I found this old thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=54130), and also found the slobc.org (http://www.slobc.org/local-rides/index.html) web site for great ride recommendations. I suppose we could just emulate the Wildflower or Lighthouse Century routes.

Aside from those, do you have any specific recommendations for places to stay, eat, visit, etc.? We tend to prefer smaller lodging. On Tripadvisor, the B&Bs in SLO get mixed reviews, but I have found some interesting cottages on VRBO. We're open to Paso Robles, Cambria, or other bases, as well. Walking distance to a nice downtown would be a plus, but not at the expense of peace and quiet.

Thanks!!!

54ny77
02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
if i won the gazillion dollar lottery and there was one place in the country where i had to pick to live my remaining days here on this earth, slo would be it. i've lived in some amazing places, but for me, slo town takes the cake.

sorry that wasn't more helpful. ;)

enjoy your trip!

elegant
02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
SLO is definitely an area I would like to live in someday. But, just because you mentioned it, I am familiar with the Cambria area, and if I were you, I would be staying there. Especially since you prefer smaller lodging; that's all Cambria is. It has a very warm small-town feeling to it, beautiful beaches and nice bicycle riding.

I couldn't recommend anywhere specific because the only place I've stayed is family owned property just north of Cambria in San Simeon.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your anniversary!

Ken Robb
02-05-2012, 01:25 PM
while in the area McPhee's in Templeton is a restaurant to enjoy. Fine food and service with many interesting local wines by the glass. They do 3 meals a day and have been good about honoring reservations.

Steve in SLO
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
I am in SLO. Shoot me a PM...I can help.
Probably best to talk by phone for efficiency sake.
Steve

thinpin
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
what does SLO stand for?

Steve in SLO
02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
San Luis Obispo ( California )

thinpin
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks

cnighbor1
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
go to crazyguyonabicycle.com and read of rides on west coast
I could sag ride if camping with my escape

sc53
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm just returning from a week in Paso Robles at the Paso Robles Inn. Spent a day walking the beach at Cambria and the road between Paso and Cambria (Rt 46) would have made an incredibly beautiful ride (27 miles one way). Big wide shoulders, gorgeous scenery, ocean coming into view over the hills about halfway along. I didn't have a bike but want to return with one. Lots of fine dining in Paso, lots of wineries in the area on small winding roads that would also make for great riding.

edl
02-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I've been through this area several times on the ALC rides. Most of the places I've stayed weren't memorable, but for eats, you have to try Artisan in Paso Robles if you enjoy the food scene in SF.

Rides - I'm sure Steve can help you out, but if you want to look at the ALC routesheets here they are:

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/documents/route-slips/10/alc10-route-sheets.pdf

The top of 46 has a great view of the coast when it's clear, even if you don't do that part on bike you should drive up and have a look.

mvrider
02-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! I've passed my contact info to Steve, so I'll be anxious to get more details.

I just found out that the Great Western Bicycle Rally (http://www.greatwesternbicyclerally.com/) takes place in Paso Robles that weekend, so certainly let me know if you have any experiences with that.

mvrider
02-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Many thanks to Steve for unbiased insights into the characters of several of the Central Coast towns. Based on his recommendations, we'll be staying in San Luis Obispo, and will explore the country roads around there. Hopefully, we'll have photos worth sharing in ~June.