PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist fatality...two cyclists hit each other head on while riding

Frank
08-15-2005, 11:19 PM
I have read of quite a few fatalities over the years involving cyclists, but never have heard of two cyclists hitting each other head on while riding. I have seen some close calls on some out and back training/racing routes where there were blind corners, but never a collision.
==================
Allen man killed in head-on bike crash
Plano: Second cyclist hurt on popular route in southeast part of city

08:37 PM CDT on Monday, August 15, 2005

By PAULA LAVIGNE / The Dallas Morning News

A head-on collision between two bicyclists killed one man and injured another on a popular cycling route in southeast Plano.

The Sunday morning crash had area cyclists buzzing Monday as they exchanged phone calls and posted messages on regional online cycling forums.

Jim Hoyt, owner of Richardson Bike Mart, said he's never heard of a fatal head-on collision in his 50 years of cycling. "We can't figure it out."

One cyclist, 52-year-old Michael Mahoney of Allen, was taken to Medical Center of Plano, where he died Sunday. The Collin County medical examiner's office would not release a cause of death Monday, but a family friend said he died of severe head trauma.

The other cyclist, 37-year-old Jordan Muller of Richardson, was treated in the emergency room and released, a hospital spokeswoman said. Mr. Muller could not be reached Monday.

Both were riding road bikes and were wearing helmets, police said.

Nancy and Doug Clark have been friends of Mr. Mahoney and his wife, Nadine, for almost 25 years.

Mr. Mahoney had worked for J.C. Penney since the late 1970s, and both families had been transferred, at different times, by the company from Wisconsin to North Texas.

"He loved his family more than anything, and he had friends that are going to miss him forever," Mrs. Clark said. She said he had started cycling about four years ago after knee surgery forced him to give up running.

On Sunday, he and Mr. Muller were cycling in opposite directions near Wyngate Boulevard and Wynwood Drive in an industrial section of southeast Plano, Plano police Officer Carl Duke said.

Cyclists use the interconnecting streets as a circular route for timed races staged on Tuesday nights and sponsored by Plano Cycling & Fitness.

Mr. Mahoney was cycling counterclockwise on the route and Mr. Muller was riding clockwise, and they hit head-on in the middle of the street.

Race organizer Randy Eller said the races run clockwise, and most people who cycle the course for practice would be going clockwise. They probably wouldn't suspect someone coming from the other direction, he said. However, the course is a series of public streets, and cyclists can ride any direction they choose.

"It's seldom you would see someone going counterclockwise. But it's not like [Mr. Mahoney] was doing anything wrong," Mr. Eller said. Mr. Eller said racing cyclists could reach speeds of more than 20 mph on the course, but police do not know how fast the two cyclists were going at the time of impact.

Officer Duke said a passer-by called 911. Police are investigating the fatality as an accidental death and do not anticipate filing criminal charges, he said.

Laura Alton, a Richardson cyclist who came across the crash scene Sunday, said she was surprised that the two collided on a straightaway where it was likely one cyclist would see another approaching.

"I've just never heard of anybody hitting somebody head-on," she said. "If you're riding on a tour or a rally, you might have a crash, but not just head-on. Everybody's just kind of shocked by, 'Wow, how did this happen?' "

Mrs. Clark said Mr. Mahoney had been cycling in the area before. He was training for the popular Hotter'N Hell Hundred ride in Wichita Falls on Aug. 27.

"It was a big event for him to do the Hotter'N Hell," J.C. Penney co-worker and cyclist Craig Mathew said. "He really did live for it. I'd say, 'Are you going to do the whole thing? The whole hundred miles?' And he'd say, 'Yeah, yeah.' "

Along with cycling, Mr. Mahoney also was an avid fisherman, NASCAR fan and motorcyclist, Mrs. Clark said. He and his wife had two adult children, Thomas Mahoney and Monica Spaulding.

"He liked to do anything at least once," Mrs. Clark said. "He was never afraid of a challenge."

The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at St. Jude Catholic Church in Allen.

E-mail plavigne@dallasnews.com

William
08-16-2005, 05:07 AM
I'm very sorry to read this news. My condolences to their families.

The only thing that makes sense to me is two riders hammering with their heads down not looking far enough up the road. On top of that add plain old bad luck.

William

cyclesberuff
08-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Wow I was commuting to work in DC on the WO&d Bike path when I saw from my vantage point some guy flying down a linking bike path and without slowing down one bit merge onto the bike trail hitting with fool's velocity an unsuspecting cyclist head on. The Idiot's helmut visor nearly took off this poor guy's nose. Blood everywhere.Ever since then I have learned to listen to blind merge lanes.

BumbleBeeDave
08-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Getting hit by a car is bad enough. But this adds insult to (fatal) injury. It sounds like William is right. I bet both guys were training hard and Lady (BAD) Luck caught them. I mean, the street must be at least 50 feet wide. What are the odds? About like getting hit by a meteorite while out riding . . . In any event, and awful, tragic accident.

BBDave

andy mac
08-16-2005, 07:06 AM
sometimes i have to resort to riding in central park.

it constantly amazes me some boneheads will ride clockwise when 99% of riders and 100% of cars are legally traveling counter clockwise.

my fiance had was forced to crash into a bunch of runners a few weeks back because two cyclists were taking up the whole lane going the wrong way and didn't get out of the way. she had a choice to hit the runners or the cars. thankfully she took the softer option and nobody was hurt too badly.

have they taught physics in this country since 1800? sometimes i wonder...

PanTerra
08-16-2005, 10:04 AM
This was hard to fathom. I don't think I have ever seen cyclists going counter clock-wise on this course. It was such a freak thing. The surviving cyclist has a broken nose, multiple broken bones in his face and a broken clavical, as well as numerous abrasions, bruises etc. One of the LBS sponsors the weekly crits which are held every Tuesday night. It will be a somber evening tonight.
http://panterragroup.home.mindspring.com/GDB/Crit_Aerial_2.jpg

Tailwinds
08-16-2005, 10:11 AM
That is very sad news. Unfortunately, something like this happened in Denver in '03. Two cyclists hit head-on on a bike trail, and one guy died. The other guy supposedly broke his back and is a paraplegic now. They collided under an overpass where there was a curve in the path, and it was slightly dark there. I talked to a woman last week on a bike trail here that said she crashed recently under another overpass when an oncoming cyclist hit her head-on in her lane. She might require surgery on her shoulder, but they both walked away from it, thankfully.

Andreu
08-16-2005, 10:25 AM
I can kind of understand it when people hit each like this other on trails or in parks - but on what is essentially a "closed" loop - it is really wierd!

There is a loop just like the one above not far from us in the town and we use it on winter nights for training - everybody goes clockwise - there is no law/regulation as it is open road to everybody - but I cannot imagine wanting to go any another way as it would entail crossing traffic (very sparse but dicey) and riding alone. Plus they would be probably get shouted at aggressively every couple of laps as they would be in the wrong place on the road.

Very sad for the riders and families involved.

0.002 centimes,
A

Sandy
08-16-2005, 11:36 AM
I was leading a club ride several weeks ago. I sweep all rides that I lead, so I am always the last rider. About 9 miles into the ride, I saw the results of an accident between 2 cyclists, one of whom was in my group. He is about 6'3", with a large build and weighs 255-260. From what I understand, he saw 3-4 riders in front of him, so he decided to go on the other side of the road (small, with no shoulder) to pass the cyclists in front of him. He rode into a cyclist coming the other way, hitting the other cylist very hard with his large left shoulder. The other cyclist had a very deep cut in his left forearm, and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The rider in my group had a sore shoulder.

I don't think that the rider in my group even realized how foolish he was in riding on the other side of the road to pass (in a very busy park location). He never even got the name of the other cyclist, and never found out how he was doing.

Sandy

jt2gt
08-16-2005, 12:03 PM
This is crazy...I used to race these crits when I lived in Dallas. Its a small loop and you can see around the whole loop while riding it (no trees). I cannot believe they didn't see each other at least sometime. Even if they were head down hammering, you would think they would know someone else was on the course. Unbelievable...condolences to those involved.

JT

Cadence230
08-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Stay off bike paths! We have some here that are only about10' wide at the widest with blind turns every which way. It seems someone is always getting f'd up in these places. Beware I say. Sometimes my little group will take a trail for a short cut (''amateur hour'' I call it). I think in the future I'll bring up the rear. Uh huh...I said REAR.