PDA

View Full Version : Museeuw Carbon Flax Frames?

BumbleBeeDave
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Saw this on eBay and wonder about how exactly the flax is supposed to fit in with the carbon and what advantage it's supposed to add. Does it really add comfort as the seller claims by absorbing microshocks? Sounds like that would make for a comfortable frame for endurance riding . . . I'm sure Specialized will sue them soon! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300659931986&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

BBD

54ny77
02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
if you're out on a long ride and bonk, you can eat a little bit of the frame. i hear the seat stays are tasty.

Kontact
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Just as all metals transmit vibration differently, the same is true of fibers you can put in a composite matrix. Flax fibers are light and strong enough to put in a carbon composite without making it unnecessarily dense, but change the resonance.

Whether you believe it will make a difference or not is up to you, but it is probably worth riding one of their bikes before passing judgement. It is, at the very least, an interesting idea and claim, and they have gone to a lot of trouble in refining the flax for composite use if they really don't believe it helps.

bobhufford
02-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't know about Museeuw's version, but Schwinn's can be internally lit ... kewl. :banana:

Bob

http://www.coolhunting.com/2011/06/29/schwinn-flax5.jpg

wallymann
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
ntnt

Charles M
02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I'll tell you, Having those tube sets in hand and listening to them get whacked and the sound they make is quite a bit different than solid carbon... LOTS more muted.

I've also heard a few folks that have a lot of experience on a lot of frames and came back thinking that those bikes damp vibes better than all carb frames of the same weight and same type of construction that didnt use the flax weave.

Kontact
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll tell you, Having those tube sets in hand and listening to them get whacked and the sound they make is quite a bit different than solid carbon... LOTS more muted.

I've also heard a few folks that have a lot of experience on a lot of frames and came back thinking that those bikes damp vibes better than all carb frames of the same weight and same type of construction that didnt use the flax weave.
But Pez, the material doesn't matter!