PDA

View Full Version : Frame upgrade advice- Look 585 to...?

kramnnim
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I've put ~15k on my Look 585, and have been thinking/dreaming of a new frame. There's nothing wrong with the 585, I just have that "new bike itch". Plus, half the fun is in the search. I'm not quite sure what to look for, though.

I'm 140#, and need a 55-56cm TT. I think the 585 frame is around 1-1.1kg, don't want anything heavier. I don't care about stiffness, all day comfort is more important. (I don't race, and the roads here are mostly crappy chipseal)

Sure, I could go steel/25c tires, etc...but I don't want the extra weight.

Sounds like the 595 is just a racier version of the 585. 586 looks good, but would it be much of an upgrade?

Time VXRS? NXR? Parlee? What else should I consider?

saab2000
02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Crumpton Corsa Team might be an option.

I also own a couple 585s and am curious about the Corsa Team.

T.J.
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't rule out steel based on weight. My speedvagen is just a hair over 15 pounds and the ride is as advertised

BCS
02-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I used to have a 586. Sold it because I got sick of the ISP.

My advice is to keep the 585 which from all accounts is a great frame and buy something totally different--get a Ti frame, lugged steel, rando bike, etc. IMHO high end carbon frames are more alike than different. Going from a 585 to a 586--meh

saab2000
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Agreed that there is not much of an upgrade from the 585. It is an exceptional bike and hard to improve upon very much.

gianni
02-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Keep the Look 585 IMHO. I have come full circle from selling a previous 585 Ultra to Ridley, then SL3 and back to a 585 ultra. I could not be happier. I agree with the previous post about getting something different if you want to try but hold onto that beauty.

Cheers,

wooly
02-04-2012, 04:06 PM
I had a 585 Ultra and it was a terrific riding bike. I've since had a number of frames since but have good memories of that frame. Like TJ I am now on a Speedvagen. I don't think you should limit yourself to a certain weight frame, as that may limit your material. Components and builder can provide you great ride that will rival or be even better than the Look.

And BTW - I've had a number of carbon bikes (Parlee, Calfee, Look, Colnago). And I definitely prefer metal for comfort and performance. :bike:

Jason E
02-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Legend? Ti CJ? Featherweight?

chismog
02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
C'mon brother. You know you want to stick with the French ladies. Have a look at the Cyfac Absolu and see if that tickles your fancy. Pez did a good review a while back if I recall.

Climb01742
02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
And BTW - I've had a number of carbon bikes (Parlee, Calfee, Look, Colnago). And I definitely prefer metal for comfort and performance. :bike:

wooly, would you mind elaborating on this point, particularly the comfort aspect? with the exception of an MXL, all the metal bikes i've owned have not been terribly great in the comfort department. not arguing at all; hoping to learn something. thanks in advance. ;)

Ken Robb
02-04-2012, 05:06 PM
one of the Serotta ti or part ti bikes might have a livelier feel. My all ti Legend was springier than my LOOK 381 but they were both fine bikes. I guess some folks would say it "planed".

PaMtbRider
02-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Like others have said, it is hard to upgrade from a 585 without going custom. I sold a 585 when I got a great deal on an Ottrott. If I ever see a good deal on a 585 or 595 in xxl I will do my best to add this bike back to the garage.

rice rocket
02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I know everyone hates Specialized now, especially post lawsuit, but how about a Roubaix? Or the Volagi? :D

I haven't ridden those "comfortable" carbon bikes, but I hear they're pretty awesome.

Lionel
02-05-2012, 02:21 AM
A C59 maybe

soulspinner
02-05-2012, 05:09 AM
A C59 maybe

+1 This frame is supposed to be outstanding, love to try one myself.

gearguywb
02-05-2012, 06:01 AM
585's are a great ride. Had one a couple of years ago and can not think of a more "do everything well, nothing poorly" ride.

Tire and wheel selection will have far more impact on "comfort" than about anything else. Don't know what you are currently riding, but a well built box tubular rim with some 25's (or larger) will truly give you "all day" comfort.

saab2000
02-05-2012, 06:06 AM
My only regret on the 585s is that Look stopped making frames in 1cm increments when they started with the 585 and stopped the 481 and also changed the geometry every so slightly, making my fit and position not quite as ideal as it was on the 381 I had. I would ideally be somewhere right between the L and the XL. Alas, there isn't one like there used to be.

But if the 585 works for you it's hard to find something much better.

My short list would include the C59 Colnago and the Crumpton as I mentioned. The Colnago is obviously more expensive but if that's not an issue I'd consider one strongly. They are available in 1 cm increments.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2012, 06:59 AM
I've put ~15k on my Look 585, and have been thinking/dreaming of a new frame. There's nothing wrong with the 585, I just have that "new bike itch". Plus, half the fun is in the search. I'm not quite sure what to look for, though.

I'm 140#, and need a 55-56cm TT. I think the 585 frame is around 1-1.1kg, don't want anything heavier. I don't care about stiffness, all day comfort is more important. (I don't race, and the roads here are mostly crappy chipseal)

Sure, I could go steel/25c tires, etc...but I don't want the extra weight.

Sounds like the 595 is just a racier version of the 585. 586 looks good, but would it be much of an upgrade?

Time VXRS? NXR? Parlee? What else should I consider?

This

http://moots.com/our-bike/road/vamoots-rsl/overview

jghall
02-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I'll ditto what the others have stated, the 585 is a great bike. Some of the newer stuff may be better in certain areas, but as far as an "all arounder", the 585 is tough to beat.

Not ridden all the new stuff, but not much has impressed me. Don't get me wrong, there are many great racing bikes, but that does not appear to be what you are looking for(not my cup of tea either). Of those "stock" bikes, the Evo was one of the few of the that I was impressed with. Has a good level of comfort. Parlee's Z5 was nice too.

Custom may be the answer though. Whether that be carbon, steel, or Ti. Which gets you into; Vanilla, Zank, Kirk, Strong, Crumptom, Cyfac, and Serotta.....just to name a few.

Good luck on your search.

zap
02-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Keep the Look 585.

Get a new wheel set or if not done already, upgrade to Campy.

or

travel so you can ride elsewhere with the money not spent on a new frame.

Lionel
02-05-2012, 09:34 AM
My short list would include the C59 Colnago and the Crumpton as I mentioned. The Colnago is obviously more expensive but if that's not an issue I'd consider one strongly. They are available in 1 cm increments.

hehe, we have the same taste. The C59 is the only off the rack bike that I would be tempted by these days. If i was in the market for a new carbon frame I'd probably go with a custom Crumpton. I do not think the Crumpton is more expensive that the C59.

merckx
02-05-2012, 09:40 AM
get a c40.

kramnnim
02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Wow, lots of love for the 585.

I guess I should have mentioned that cost is very much an issue...while I'd love a C59, I'd have to win the lottery to afford one.

My intentions were to keep the 585 for rainy day/backup use...maybe I should get a nicer set of wheels for it. Currently running Chorus 11...guess I could try to pick up some SR11, but then I'll want something to put the C11 on...

saab2000
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
My intentions were to keep the 585 for rainy day/backup use...maybe I should get a nicer set of wheels for it. Currently running Chorus 11...guess I could try to pick up some SR11, but then I'll want something to put the C11 on...

There's no functional difference between Chorus and Super Record. Just a few grams of weight here and there.

Save the money and get a killer set of wheels..... That's going to be the biggest upgrade you can get.

happycampyer
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Since cost is an issue, I wouldn't bother changing the C11 for SR11—the bike will basically ride the same. C11 has by far the best bang for the buck. Sure, SR11 is lighter and has some refinements over C11, but C11 gives you 99% of R11, and 98% of SR11 (and that's coming from someone who has SR11 on four bikes).

As others have said, the 585 is a great all-around race bike. It rides and handles well, it's stiff but not crazy stiff, etc. Imo, while a Time, Cyfac, Colnago, etc. will be different, and you might like one better than the 585, the overall experience is very similar. Custom carbon would allow you to tweak the ride quality to your weight and other preferences, but the cost is substantial. And I've learned that buying other people's customs is a bit of a crap shoot.

If you end up keeping the 585, I would think about new wheels first. I recently test rode the Enve Smart 3.4's and the Zipp Firecrests, and I have to say that wheels keep getting better and better. Road tubeless or a wheelset built with wider rims are a less expensive way to change the ride quality and breathe new life into the 585 (and of course can be used on any ultimate replacement if you eventually go that route).

Another alternative that others have suggested is a bike made from a different material. I have more experience with ti bikes than steel, so I'm a bit biased, but you could pick up a nice ti bike used that would be a great compliment to the 585. I've had over a dozen ti bikes and currently have the RSL (which Oldpotatoe recommended). While its' ride is more comfortable than the 585, it's still a very racy bike, and not many show up for sale used. If you want all-day comfort I would lean more towards a used Vamoots (non-RSL), a Legend, IF ti Crown Jewel, etc., or perhaps an Ottrott.

wooly
02-05-2012, 01:38 PM
wooly, would you mind elaborating on this point, particularly the comfort aspect? with the exception of an MXL, all the metal bikes i've owned have not been terribly great in the comfort department. not arguing at all; hoping to learn something. thanks in advance. ;)

Hey Climb - Maybe comfort wouldn't be the first measure and distinction that I would draw as a comparison to a carbon bike. I think we all know of carbon frames that are really stiff. I think well built steel and ti can offer a nice blend of comfort and a connectedness to the road that I haven't found in other frames made with carbon. My moots frames had this. My s3 Waterford frames were a little more stiff that I would prefer but still great riding and super responsive. My SV has a nice blend of stiffness but definitely smooths out road chatter (plus geo that works for me).

I didn't have this feel in the carbon bikes but I totally realize this can be impacted by the wheelset you're running. I was running Shamals on my last Parlee Z1. I'm running hand-builts on my SV. So that's not an apples to apples comp.

Anyway, I'm realizing as I write this that this is really unclear. It's hard to describe. Maybe I should get another carbon?!! :D

kramnnim
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
My 585 actually replaced a Ti frame...an older, low end Litespeed with straight gauge tubes. I'm guessing the ride quality is inferior to that of a Legend or CJ...

cataño
02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
If you're looking to add a light, race-y, fun bike that will offer a different ride to your stable without overlapping too much with the Look, maybe think about an aluminum frame? Lots of great options all up and down the price scale - Pegoretti Love #3, Spooky, CAAD10, Allez E5, Cyfac, Strong, Gaulzetti, Storck, Merckx, Canyon, etc, etc - and definitely a great way to get a light as heck race bike without spending colnago money.

tannhauser
02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
There is zero similarity between an old Litespeed and a CJ.