PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross wheels.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Swapping wheels on my winter trainer/CX'er. Had "normal, handbuilt" '05 32H Centaur/Mavic OP's previously (moved to my beater). Any suggestions? Need to be Campy compatible.

AngryScientist
02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
handbuilts are probably best for a cx bike, because if you ride them hard, something will break, and when it does, handbuilts are easy to fix.

that said, if you're looking for relatively inexpensive, scirocco CX wheels are very nice for the money, and have better sealed bearings than the standard scirocco for water intrusion. pretty nice wheels.

David Kirk
02-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I've had a good experience with this guy -

http://youngwheels.com/

dave

djg
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
So . . . you're saying one set of wheels for winter training (on the road?) and cross? Tubulars with new tires at the start of cross season or clinchers (with new tires at the start of cross season)? For tubbies, I'd say a good set of used wheels or have something built if you are trying to manage price (although there are some pre-builts that don't cost a fortune and sometimes you'll find a good deal on NOS on this board for something like shamal or eurus tubulars, which are great and dependable wheels). For clinchers . . . I dunno . . . what do you want to spend? There's nothing wrong with what you had if it's built by a good builder, and obviously you can upgrade the hubs in various ways and maybe think about DT rims (or HED?). Talk to the builder about spokes, etc. For pre-built/factory wheels, my own experience with Campagnolo/Fulcrum has been great at relatively high points in their lineup and middling ones -- I've found them to be solid performing, extremely durable and dependable wheels. There's just the question of the price.

jr59
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
I've had a good experience with this guy -

http://youngwheels.com/

dave

+100

Joe builds great wheels! Easy t get along with too!

Bruce K
02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
HED Ardennes LT.

I just got a set of tubulars and they are reasonably light and very strong, especially in stallion build.

The clincher version (which I have been using) allows you to run lower air pressures due to the C2 rim.

Price isn't bad either.

BK

fatallightning
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
HED belgiums to WI hubs. 24 radial front/28 2x3x rear. CXrays or db.

nooneline
02-04-2012, 11:35 AM
handbuilts are probably best for a cx bike, because if you ride them hard, something will break, and when it does, handbuilts are easy to fix.

I definitely appreciate wheels with nonproprietary spokes for this reason, but I"m not convinced that CX is harder on wheels than anything else. If anything, the rims and build are protected by a big fat tire.

But I'm also biased because I'm a shrimply little nugget and I can ride lightweight wheels all the time.

Bruce K
02-04-2012, 11:35 AM
That's is very similar to the Ardennes. You just have to decide if you want WI hubs or HED's hubs.

BK

giverdada
02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
i've been riding tune hubs to reflex tubular rims, 32 spokes, cx-rays. the front wheel was a bit too responsive on descents, and i was wondering why, so i ordered a velocity a23 and built it on a new old stock ringle 28 hole hub with sapim lasers. amazing. amazingly solid ride. wicked tracking. great cornering. can't say enough. $20 hub. $40 spokes. $60 rim. unbeatable.

if you're going clincher, i'd definitely recommend anything in the wide rim range, like the HED's (my wife has them and they're stellar), or, for half the price and half the fineness of finish, the velocity A23's. nicest hubs i've used yet, other than stock campagnolo, are the tunes, but they're also a pretty penny and hard to find used. best of luck to you.

n.

firerescuefin
02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm having Eric (Ergott) build up some Ambrosio Nemesis around CK45 Campy hubs (32-holes) for road training wheels, but I imagine they'd be plenty stout enough for cross.