PDA

View Full Version : Lance is off the hook

rpm
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
From AP:
LOS ANGELES - Federal prosecutors closed their investigation of Lance Armstrong without charging him over allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs Friday, ending a nearly two-year effort aimed at examining whether a doping program was created to keep the seven-time Tour de France winner and his teammates running at the head of the pack.

Armstrong has steadfastly denied he doped during his unparalleled career, but the possibility of criminal charges threatened to stain his legacy as the world's greatest cyclist and could have cast a shadow over his cancer charity work.

The probe, anchored in Los Angeles where a grand jury was presented evidence by federal prosecutors and heard testimony from Armstrong's former teammates and associates, began with a separate investigation of Rock Racing, a cycling team owned by fashion entrepreneur Michael Ball.

United States Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. announced in a press release that his office "is closing an investigation into allegations of federal criminal conduct by members and associates of a professional bicycle racing team owned in part by Lance Armstrong."

He didn't disclose the reason for the decision.

Charles M
02-03-2012, 04:38 PM
That Novitzki didnt speak for himself makes him a b!tch...

just sayin...

Had this gone the other way and they made a case, he would have done everything short of buying add space at the superbowl...

d.vader123
02-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow! Someone's got to be lying though...His teammates (Hincapie, Hamilton, Landis) are all accusing him and he, of course, is denying it.

What is Hincapie, Hamilton, and Landis' agenda for accusing Armstrong??? I don't know what to believe anymore. Either Lance has never taken drugs for his races or he is the smartest cheater ever in the history of the world (not just cycling).

witcombusa
02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Cover up, cover up, coverup, cover up, cover up, cover up.......

It smells really bad :no:

Remember all those "powerful rich guys behind the scenes"

Guess they got that way from knowing how not to loose, eh?

texbike
02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Awwwww, poor Floyd...

I guess he's not going to reap the rewards from his whisle-blower attempt to make money. :cool:

Texbike

slowgoing
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm glad it's over and I don't care that nothing came of it. It was a fabulous waste of money and I'm glad the spigot was turned off.

wooly
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm glad it's over and I don't care that nothing came of it. It was a fabulous waste of money and I'm glad the spigot was turned off.

+10000000000000000

67-59
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Yeah, thanks Novitsky for spending our money on your little witch hunt.

And agree with Pez - what a coward for not making the announcement himself. With any luck, it's because he was busy clearing out his office....

sloji
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
"The brilliant writer and film maker Sherman Alexie's film, Smoke Signals, features a short chant that goes: John Wayne's teeth, Are they false, are they real? Are they plastic, are they steel? It is an inquiry into the authenticity of multiple myths, not the least of which addresses the monolithic heroism of the famous film star where, uncannily, "the cowboys always win." More and more communities are wisely and thankfully losing faith in the silver bullet solution of the "hero", whether locally or non-locally originated, who will "save" people from their collective deficiencies. These are the communities where authentic heroes have one message to the people in the community: "When you're wondering where the leader is on this (name an issue), pick up a mirror." In all of the communities I'm working with around the country more and more people get that leader is convener of new conversations. Period." J. Ricchiuto.

bigboyblue
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
but wouldn't it be nice to know the truth just once!

biker72
02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Awwwww, poor Floyd...

I guess he's not going to reap the rewards from his whisle-blower attempt to make money. :cool:

Texbike
Slowgoing

+100squared

firerescuefin
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Here's my excel take.

Lance + Bonds = (agendas*ineptitude)^2

rnhood
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
A lot of money was wasted and, unfortunately most of it was our money. If the lawyer was spending his own money it would have never happened. The evidence just wasn't there. But its always easy to spend someone's else's money.

I'm also happy its over and will tip the glass to Lance tonight. Wish he had made it 8. ;)

firerescuefin
02-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm also happy its over and will tip the glass to Lance tonight. Wish he had made it 8. ;)

"to Lance, the great sportsman and altruist" :rolleyes:

Let's not get carried away there.

majorpat
02-03-2012, 05:30 PM
but wouldn't it be nice to know the truth just once!

"You can't handle the truth!"

2LeftCleats
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Glad that's settled to everyone's satisfaction and Lance's honor is restored. I'll dig out my old yellow bracelet.

carlineng
02-03-2012, 05:40 PM

So so so true.

slowgoing
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
"You can't handle the truth!"

I can handle the truth. I just don't want to pay for it. I'm perfectly content believing he doped even though he hasn't been convicted by the feds.

Louis
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I knew it - he was innocent the whole time.

All the others were liars.

whforrest
02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I've become nuetral on this topic......................how much justice can you afford?

I still don't think this proves his innocence............although many people will interpret it this way.

Sadly I sold my Lance stuff over 5 years ago when I realized things were not adding up, but I do appreciate him for other reasons...............like his tenacity and I have to thank him for giving me over 20 years of entertainment.

And as many cancer survivors will tell you he has made a huge impact on their lives...

time to move on..............

67-59
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I knew it - he was innocent the whole time.

All the others were liars.

I don't think many here are saying that. I'm certainly not. But it was a monumental waste of your money and mine to go on this witch hunt years after the event. Once the relevant race and other anti-doping agencies determined that there wasn't enough evidence to proceed, that should have been the end of it. Instead, Novitzky decided to spend a ton of our money...to come to the exact same conclusion.

93legendti
02-03-2012, 06:23 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/news/feds-drop-armstrong-investigation_205505

Novitzky was dealt a blow in April when his high-profile investigation of Major League Baseball homerun king Barry Bonds ended with a mistrial on steroids-related charges.

thinpin
02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I look forward to the day
when all this will go away.
I will not hold onto my breath though
as it might lead to my early death.
:beer:

Walter
02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I have worked as a lawyer in the criminal justice system for over 40 years...mainly in the federal system. This decision is a blockbuster.

It is very easy for the Govt to indict anyone for anything. It does not take much at all to charge. One witness saying it happened is enough. When a high profile investigation goes on this long there is a real push to bring charges to vindicate the money and time spent.

They can then craft a plea agreement in a weak prosecution case that validates the charges (on the surface), but saves a defendant many things in many ways.

When a decision is made to fold the tents without any charges even being filed, it means that some very skilled trial prosecutors basically said it ain't there...we cannot in good faith go forward.

I applaud the Government lawyers who made this call. It will expose the Government to some (just) criticism, but it appears to have been the right (albeit tough) decision to make.

Louis
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
When a decision is made to fold the tents without any charges even being filed, it means that some very skilled trial prosecutors basically said it ain't there...we cannot in good faith go forward.

We've always known that LA ruled the cycling world. Now we also know that he rules the federal prosecutors.

Don't mess with Texas. ;)

wc1934
02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
"A grand jury in Los Angeles was convened for the investigation. On Friday, without citing a reason, United States Attorney André Birotte Jr. said in a statement that prosecutors and special agents had ended the investigation into “allegations of federal criminal conduct by members and associates of a professional bicycle racing team owned in part by Lance Armstrong.”

Ballgame over - the fat lady has sung!

alastair
02-03-2012, 06:51 PM
He's going to become even more unbearable now.

54ny77
02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Lance who?

97CSI
02-03-2012, 07:00 PM
My hero has been vindicated. :hello: :hello: :hello:
Now, I can ride again.

TomP
02-03-2012, 07:02 PM
No matter what, few are likely to change their opinions. I have always liked and believed Lance. I too will drink a toast.

Charles M
02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
In other news,

Since Floyd didnt have much else going on and now wont have a big payday as a "whistle blower", will he make a living in Southern Cal by dropping the word "whistle"?

How does Tyler feel now, as first he lost his twin and now this?

Will Travis Tygert do what Novitzky did and get blinded by the potential spotlight and run up a giant bill with USADA now?

TomP
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I have worked as a lawyer in the criminal justice system for over 40 years...mainly in the federal system. This decision is a blockbuster.

It is very easy for the Govt to indict anyone for anything. It does not take much at all to charge. One witness saying it happened is enough. When a high profile investigation goes on this long there is a real push to bring charges to vindicate the money and time spent.

They can then craft a plea agreement in a weak prosecution case that validates the charges (on the surface), but saves a defendant many things in many ways.

I applaud the Government lawyers who made this call. It will expose the Government to some (just) criticism, but it appears to have been the right (albeit tough) decision to make.

Well said...kudos

merlincustom1
02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
What are the odds that Contador walks on Monday?

Jaq
02-03-2012, 07:58 PM
From AP:
LOS ANGELES - Federal prosecutors closed their investigation of Lance Armstrong without charging him over allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs Friday.

Friday!?! But what about all those other times?

Jeebus.

;)

johnmdesigner
02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/sports/cycling/federal-prosecutors-drop-lance-armstrong-investigation.html?_r=1&hp

Gee an awfully short article. Does the Grey Lady have S##t on her face again?

Dr. Sparrow
02-03-2012, 08:26 PM
What a horrible day for e-RICHIE. First SRAM sticks it to him and now this! :crap: :crap:

I guess it's time for the haters that wagered LA would be found guilty to pay up.

charliedid
02-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Bike racers are so f&^%$) lame

FlashUNC
02-03-2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/lance-armstrong-wants-to-tell-nation-something-but,17973/

michael white
02-03-2012, 08:45 PM
The cool thing about innocence is that you don't have to prove it.

I agree with the comments about Novitsky. Big guy went AWOL today, eh?

Rueda Tropical
02-03-2012, 08:49 PM
The Feds may have felt that a criminal prosecution was not going to fly but they may still leave a parting gift for LA in the form of this (in cycling news):

The case may not be concluded for Armstrong, however, as the US Anti-doping Agency (USADA) has announced that it is "looking forward to obtaining the information" which was gathered through the grand jury investigation.

CEO of USADA, Travis Tygart indicated that today's decision by the US Attorney may help his agency pursue Armstrong on doping violations..

"Unlike the U.S. Attorney, USADA’s job is to protect clean sport rather than enforce specific criminal laws," read the statement from Tygart. "Our investigation into doping in the sport of cycling is continuing and we look forward to obtaining the information developed during the federal investigation."

This would help justify the inquiry as if he gets sanctioned for doping it will leave the public impression that he was crooked but the Feds just didn't have enough for a domestic criminal case. If Hincapie and others besides Floyd and Hamilton spilled the beans behind closed doors there may still be serious consequences with sport governing bodies.

572cv
02-03-2012, 09:03 PM

Thoughtful informed commentary, not simply opinion. Thank you

1centaur
02-03-2012, 09:15 PM
A question for lawyers: Can USADA get the testimony to the grand jury that's under seal, or when they say they look forward to "obtaining the information developed" do they mean they'll interview Hamilton and Hincapie in a setting where perjury is no longer an available and meaningful threat, and therefore end up with....nothing?

Dr. Sparrow
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
... If Hincapie and others besides Floyd and Hamilton spilled the beans behind closed doors there may still be serious consequences with sport governing bodies.

Hope springs eternal!

MattTuck
02-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Lance is the 1%.

The top 1% of VO2max.

cmg
02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
good for him. always thought it was a witch hunt anyway. the effort was a little late in getting out of the gate, no physical evidence. too little too late. course no one is going to blow the whistle when their in the money.

Elefantino
02-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I'll dig out my old yellow bracelet.
Never stopped wearing mine. It's not about the man.

cdimattio
02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Not sure it means anything other than a cause for celebration that they put an end to the outflow of tax dollars. After the embarrassment with the efforts against Clemens and Bonds it was time to give up.

Pass the Kool Aid.

merlincustom1
02-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Lance is the 1%.

The top 1% of VO2max.

Not really: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/vo2max.htm

54ny77
02-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Next up: Novitsky goes after Lance retroactively for contributing to the delinquency of one of the Olsen twins, circa '06 or thereabouts.

Louis
02-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Next up: Novitsky goes after Lance retroactively for contributing to the delinquency of one of the Olsen twins, circa '06 or thereabouts.

Um, I think they were already delinquents by then. That's one thing you can't blame him for.

jpw
02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
So LA will no doubt now sue his accusers for defamation, no? No, I don;t think he dare do it.

This story isn't over. Others are still digging.

Johnnyg
02-04-2012, 05:30 AM
From AP:
LOS ANGELES - Federal prosecutors closed their investigation of Lance Armstrong without charging him over allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs Friday, ending a nearly two-year effort aimed at examining whether a doping program was created to keep the seven-time Tour de France winner and his teammates running at the head of the pack.

Armstrong has steadfastly denied he doped during his unparalleled career, but the possibility of criminal charges threatened to stain his legacy as the world's greatest cyclist and could have cast a shadow over his cancer charity work.

The probe, anchored in Los Angeles where a grand jury was presented evidence by federal prosecutors and heard testimony from Armstrong's former teammates and associates, began with a separate investigation of Rock Racing, a cycling team owned by fashion entrepreneur Michael Ball.

United States Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. announced in a press release that his office "is closing an investigation into allegations of federal criminal conduct by members and associates of a professional bicycle racing team owned in part by Lance Armstrong."

He didn't disclose the reason for the decision.
innocent until proven guilty! You can't believe a couple of habitual liars. Viva Lance! Show me the evidence? The greatest story in all of sport.

Rueda Tropical
02-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Hope springs eternal!

Either they can get the grand jury testimony or they can't. If they can't it's over. If they can, then they will have every US rider -including Lance if he testified- corraborating the key part of Floyd and Hamilton's testimony. Libel would have been a gift to Novitzky giving him something easy to prosecute. I'm sure no one was taking that risk.

I expect Lance's lawyers will see that the testimony is sealed for ever if that is legally possible. Not sure if it couldn't be made available for civil actions why Tygart would say he was pursuing it. Without that he's got nothing.

oldguy00
02-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Very happy about this. I hope Novitzky gets canned.

laupsi
02-04-2012, 07:26 AM
It has been written for some time now that the Feds really didn't have a case given the timing of the investigation and the evidence at hand. The statute of limitations pertaining to this case have come and gone. With this in mind I don't see the reason for rejoicing about or laying further blame on LA w/the recent headline. In my opinion it was the only logical solution to the "case" as it was the only outcome possible.

Now, what we don't know is why the investigation continued to the lengths it did. Perhaps there was a method/reason to following through up to this point and all this may play out if future allegations are revealed? There's a hint of this already; stay tuned!

Finally, and I am sorry for what follows is "only" my opinion: In a world w/such brutality, cunning and conniving, I find it almost impossible to believe that LA is totally innocent of doping. Forget his spectacular results, in my mind his results have nothing to do w/the LA story in relation to the doping allegations. "It's all about the bike", but in this case "the bike" is LA. It's out there in plain sight for all to see.

Fairy tales, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus no longer reside next to my bedside. Why do these images continue in our world where all other points of logic and real evidence show otherwise? Things are what they are and this is always the case especially as it relates to people; even more so when viewed over a period of time. Simply put, LA's whole demeanor speaks volumes about himself and his "person" in general. If anyone has shed light on the "evidence" it would have to be LA himself.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
It has been written for some time now that the Feds really didn't have a case given the timing of the investigation and the evidence at hand. The statute of limitations pertaining to this case have come and gone. With this in mind I don't see the reason for rejoicing about or laying further blame on LA w/the recent headline. In my opinion it was the only logical solution to the "case" as it was the only outcome possible.

Now, what we don't know is why the investigation continued to the lengths it did. Perhaps there was a method/reason to following through up to this point and all this may play out if future allegations are revealed? There's a hint of this already; stay tuned!

Finally, and I am sorry for what follows is "only" my opinion: In a world w/such brutality, cunning and conniving, I find it almost impossible to believe that LA is totally innocent of doping. Forget his spectacular results, in my mind his results have nothing to do w/the LA story in relation to the doping allegations. "It's all about the bike", but in this case "the bike" is LA. It's out there in plain sight for all to see.

Fairy tales, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus no longer reside next to my bedside. Why do these images continue in our world where all other points of logic and real evidence show otherwise? Things are what they are and this is always the case especially as it relates to people; even more so when viewed over a period of time. Simply put, LA's whole demeanor speaks volumes about himself and his "person" in general. If anyone has shed light on the "evidence" it would have to be LA himself.

And your sig

"give me science over religion every time"

Sums it up for me.

PQJ
02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Well said, laupsi. Nobody should now conclude that he is innocent of the doping accusations. He isn't. Another case of the strong doing what they can and the weak suffering what they must. It will be an injustice if Contadors case is resolved against him.

Dr. Sparrow = Lifelover? (I'm an amateur sleuth and a clue was given!)

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-04-2012, 07:48 AM
And your sig

Sums it up for me.
+1. On that. And that. historically, money (especially big, eff you money) trumps justice. Almost every time.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2012, 07:50 AM
+1. On that. And that. historically, money (especially big, eff you money) trumps justice. Almost every time.

Yep, I'll bet some (BIG)$ changed hands.

laupsi
02-04-2012, 08:05 AM
And your sig

Sums it up for me.

A bit about my sig given the constant reference to it on this forum:

While It's obvious I don't follow along w/the main stream; choosing a single belief, mind you this is not the same as no belief, it has more to do w/the complications resulting from conjecture and things like religious discussion.

At least w/in the model of the scientific method arguments are be based upon testing and "measurable/observable" results, no conjecture, no irrationality, no ill will, hypocrisy, fear, etc... (again there are fallacies to even this w/in human nature)

Therefore I would prefer if we could all agree, by all I am refering to all dealings, not only those w/specific to this forum, to treat everyone w/the respect and denency offered by such rational behavior. It's a pipe dream, I know, but it's still something to shoot for.

slowgoing
02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
So LA will no doubt now sue his accusers for defamation, no? No, I don;t think he dare do it.

This story isn't over. Others are still digging.

He can't sue them for defamation based upon their statements to investigators. There is an exception in the defamation laws for statements made in the course of litigation so people won't be discouraged from telling the whole truth - it's called the litigation privilege. They are still subject to perjury laws by prosecutors if what they said is untrue, but Lance can't go after them for defamation. If they are making comments outside of the case, though, that's fair game.

firerescuefin
02-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Therefore I would prefer if we could all agree, by all I am refering to all dealings, not only those w/specific to this forum, to treat everyone w/the respect and decency

I agree, what that has do with ones religious belief/or lack thereof is where you lose me. I would imagine that the spectrum is present on this board and that rational thought, and treating all with dignity and respect (except when asking what material should I make my frame from) is the cultural norm. There are plenty of folks from all walks of faith who have made and continue to make significant contributions to the scientific community, yet there is a sentiment by some that such faith shows a lack of intellect or reasoning, painting those with such beliefs as mindless zealots. That's offensive to me, as I respect whatever belief you hold (even if not at all), because in the end, it's a deeply personal choice.

on topic...I'm glad it's over, so he can focus on selling Mich Ultra to the tri-folks and sell those Livestrong branded treadmill, bikes, and yoga mats at your local sports store of choice, and let the next generation of cyclist take their rightful place. Everywhere, members of the flat earth society are toasting each other with FRS cocktails. May you never get too close to the edge. :beer:

gemship
02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
What a horrible day for e-RICHIE. First SRAM sticks it to him and now this! :crap: :crap:

I guess it's time for the haters that wagered LA would be found guilty to pay up.

Don't know much in regards to E-Ritche and don't care but I whole heartedly agree regarding the LA haters and this board. They know who they are and now they are seething in their disgust for Lance. Personally I'm not a LA lover but I do think this witch hunt was a waste of money despite believing he may have doped. I just don't really care enough to waste money on it. Big gov't MYOFB and let the race organizers police themselves.

laupsi
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree, what that has do with ones religious belief/or lack thereof is where you lose me. :beer:

actually it has nothing at all to do w/one's religious beliefs, never wrote it did. just wanted to comment on my sig given that is has drawn assumptions from others and negative comments.

r_mutt
02-04-2012, 04:49 PM
"Witch hunt" and "waste of taxpayer dollars"= Fabiani propaganda that apparently has managed to persuade many here.

michael white
02-04-2012, 05:00 PM
R Mutt: Some might think it's a wonderful idea in a recession to prosecute athletes for alleged drug activities regardless of our ability to pay. Large numbers of us think there are better things to do with the big chunk of our non-!% income that is taxed. C'est la freaking vie. If you don't like it, I suggest you pull your head out from wherever it is and blow your money however you want. Thanks.

r_mutt
02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
It's funny how often "waste of taxpayer dollars" gets trotted out in the Lance defense. Our government "wastes" money in so many places, but somehow, that doesn't concern any Lance defenders. Take your misplaced anger and personal attacks somewhere else. according to your logic, cheating in professional sports is fair game in a recession, because it's too expensive to police and prosecute.

Bruce K
02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Now we're sort of going in circles and the personal stuff is showing up.

Let's talk Super Bowl or something.

How about a helmet thread? :crap: :rolleyes: :no:

BK