PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old cycling clothing

wasfast
02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I have a variety of items, especially shorts, that are pretty worn but not so bad that I can bring myself to through them out. What to do with them? Is there some deserving folks I can donate them to? Should I just pitch them?

chris7ed
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I have 2 pairs of old shoes. Sidi Genius 2 (or something like that) and Time Equip (the yellow and red ones). Somebody could use these. Old shorts? That's a needy cyclist.

maunahaole
02-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Pitch them. Someone else wearing old used shorts is pretty gross. Not to mention that they get transparent when old. Don't do that to someone.

Louis
02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I use my old shorts when doing stuff like the rowing machine or yoga.

In my case the chamois goes bad before they become "transparent."

PQJ
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Trainer workouts.

Bob Ross
02-03-2012, 02:37 PM
as shorts start to get transparent I "promote" them to the Winter Wear drawer, where I'll (hopefully) only wear them underneath tights.

If they're too worn to be worn (heh!), they get tossed

...unless I'm feeling particularly opportunistic, and then they get eBay'd. It's scarey what some folks will give you money for.

rjfr
02-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Donate them to the homeless in S.F. with Pinarellos or Colnagos.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=103449&page=2&pp=15

TimD
02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Cut them in half. Then you'll be compelled to throw them out.

67-59
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
as shorts start to get transparent I "promote" them to the Winter Wear drawer, where I'll (hopefully) only wear them underneath tights.

Same here. Got some old bibs where the chamois is intact, but the Lycra is wearing thin in places and stitching has come apart in others. And some non-bib shorts where the chamois is fine, but the waistband elastic is shot. Both are still fine when worn under winter bibs w/o chamois. When they get so bad that they aren't even good enough for that, I pitch them without guilt.

benitosan1972
02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Donate them to a youth/underprivileged cycling program, well, maybe not the shorts. Toss those out, it's equivalent to wearing used underwear :no:

ultraman6970
02-04-2012, 09:50 AM
U need to shave man :P

In my case the chamois goes bad before they become "transparent."

pitonpat
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Pitch them. Someone else wearing old used shorts is pretty gross. Not to mention that they get transparent when old. Don't do that to someone.

Ha! While riding in the MS150 City to Shore this past year, I got stuck in a pack behind an older rider who obviously had been wearing his shorts for a really long time. Unfortunately the crack of his ass was clearly visible through the nearly transparent fabric of his shorts! Please, if you ride with others, don't subject us to an anatomy lesson....... Wait, unless you've got a really attractive ass. Then it's OK!

cetuximab
02-06-2012, 06:12 AM
I don't understand the reasoning behind the unwillingness to wear previous worn clothing. I could understand it if they were not washed. Does one believe there is still residual germs on the clothing?

If it is a germaphobic tendency, there are a lot more bacteria and virus involved in shaking hands and touching fomites like door handles etc. Once in a while people wash their hands after going to the bathroom, but I have not seen people wash their hands before using the bathroom. And one likely touched the door handle to get into the restroom, before one puts their hands where their bibs would contact.