PDA

View Full Version : quick Q: campy medium cage RD - max cassette?

AngryScientist
02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
anyone know what the largest cassette cog a medium cage campy RD can handle??

oldpotatoe
02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
anyone know what the largest cassette cog a medium cage campy RD can handle??

The 'book' says 13-29 with a double crank, 13-26 with a triple, altho I have installed lotsa 13-29 on a short cage rear der, double crank(including compact).

As an aside, I'm going to try a 12-30 IRD 10s cogset on a Moots with a short cage RD and compact crank, Campagnolo..I'll let ya know but I suspect it'll be OK.

Dave
02-03-2012, 07:32 AM
A medium cage is intended for use with up to a 29T cog, if a double crank is used. Whether anything larger can be used would require experimentation. Not every bike has the same RD hanger dimensions.

With a triple crank, you're supposed to use a long cage RD with a 13-29 cassette. I tried this with a medium cage RD once. IIRC, I couldn't get the upper jockey pulley to clear the 29T cog, in the little ring.

AngryScientist
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
thanks guys, thats what i wanted to hear.

Ralph
02-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm running a triple 30-42-53 and 13-29 with med cage on a steel frame. On my Cannondale, I couldn't do that.....but could with a double and medium cage. It depends on hanger length. My experience is you'll be fine with med cage and 13-29 and double, and if hanger is longish, OK with short cage. You may have to play around with chain length some to pull upper pulley out of way with short cage. Vertical drop outs make life more difficult.

BTW....Do your experimenting with old chain....when you have length like you want, then put on new chain. I keep an old 10's chain cleaned up and lubed only with WD 40 (not messy) for sizing purposes.I don't mind putting links in and out for this chain....not riding on it anywhere.