PDA

View Full Version : Pre and Post 2006 Campagnolo Issues

sjpitts
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I was under the impression that all of 10 speed campy (post 2001) was cross compatible.

So that you could use 10 speed centaur ergos with chorus derailleurs and such. I understand that there is a potential minor issue with QS and non-QS front derailleurs, but that usually works ok.

However, I have now seen a couple references to pre and post 2006 compatibility issues.

For example, I was looking at some KMC DX10SC chains, and the retailer described these as for post 2006 10s campy, but not pre 2006 10s campy.

I also saw IRD conversion cassettes (campy spacing, shimano hubs) described as usable on pre 2006 but maybe not post 2006.

But I don't recall ever seeing anything that said you couldn't use any campy 10S cassette or chain, pre or post 2006.

What is the truth here? What, if anything, did campy change in 2006 and how does it effect the ability to mix and match among campy 10 speed components?

Thanks

Grant McLean
02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I was under the impression that all of 10 speed campy (post 2001) was cross compatible.

it is compatible.

Campagnolo made the chains slightly narrower to reduce some noise,
but there is no compatibilty problem, and you can mix and match.
QS levers and derailleurs can be mixed, it works fine.

-g

rain dogs
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
it is compatible.

Campagnolo made the chains slightly narrower to reduce some noise,
but there is no compatibilty problem, and you can mix and match.
QS levers and derailleurs can be mixed, it works fine.

-g

Erm. I think this isn't 100% true Grant, but it is 99% true. The only problem you will come across, which happens on my bike, is that the narrower chain can actually fall between the two chainrings and you'll have absolutely no drive at all. But you can easily shift out of it (unless you've got skills like Andy Schleck)

I guess it could be potentially dangerous, but I've (stupidly) just learned to live with it because I wanted to keep my older Aluminum 10 spd Record cranks. It only happens about once in every 100 shifts (guessing???) and only when I'm dropping the chain from the 53 to 39 and I'm in the 17 tooth cog.

You can't get the wider 10 speed chains anymore... so....

at least that's my experience.

Grant McLean
02-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Erm. I think this isn't 100% true Grant, but it is 99% true. The only problem you will come across, which happens on my bike, is that the narrower chain can actually fall between the two chainrings and you'll have absolutely no drive at all.

Campagnolo never changed the spacing between the two rings
on any of the campagnolo 10 speed cranks, so your problem is not caused
by the difference in chain width ( which is from 6.1mm to 5.9mm)

All the 10 speed campagnolo cranks have the same spacing,
regardless of whether or not they were designed before or after the change
of the chain design.

If you're having an issue, there is something else going on.

-g

oldpotatoe
02-03-2012, 07:43 AM

So that you could use 10 speed centaur ergos with chorus derailleurs and such. I understand that there is a potential minor issue with QS and non-QS front derailleurs, but that usually works ok.

However, I have now seen a couple references to pre and post 2006 compatibility issues.

For example, I was looking at some KMC DX10SC chains, and the retailer described these as for post 2006 10s campy, but not pre 2006 10s campy.

I also saw IRD conversion cassettes (campy spacing, shimano hubs) described as usable on pre 2006 but maybe not post 2006.

But I don't recall ever seeing anything that said you couldn't use any campy 10S cassette or chain, pre or post 2006.

What is the truth here? What, if anything, did campy change in 2006 and how does it effect the ability to mix and match among campy 10 speed components?

Thanks

Poppy cock.

All 10s Campagnolo is cross compatible, even back to 2000 when it was introduced. Any person that says 10s chains or cogsets are pre or post 2006 is clueless.

2007/8 saw a xenon based shift innards for Centaur and Veloce so you had to use a 2007/8 FD with those shifters but all 10s, including 2009+ 10s, new shape levers, is cross compatible. Including any 10s chain, including aftermarket 10s cogsets like IRD. Campagnolo 10s spacing has not changed.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Campagnolo never changed the spacing between the two rings
on any of the campagnolo 10 speed cranks, so your problem is not caused
by the difference in chain width ( which is from 6.1mm to 5.9mm)

All the 10 speed campagnolo cranks have the same spacing,
regardless of whether or not they were designed before or after the change
of the chain design.

If you're having an issue, there is something else going on.

-g

What he said...Campagnolo didn't change the CR spacing when they narrowed the 10s chain.

rain dogs
02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
OK, I'll default to the experts. I was told that was my problem, and it made sense to me.

If that isn't my problem, then what is? Those cranks were installed new from the box and have never been changed or adapted, and the chainring bolts are sufficiently tight.

Why would the chain be falling between the rings? How can I fix that?

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Poppy cock.

All 10s Campagnolo is cross compatible, even back to 2000 when it was introduced. Any person that says 10s chains or cogsets are pre or post 2006 is clueless.

2007/8 saw a xenon based shift innards for Centaur and Veloce so you had to use a 2007/8 FD with those shifters but all 10s, including 2009+ 10s, new shape levers, is cross compatible. Including any 10s chain, including aftermarket 10s cogsets like IRD. Campagnolo 10s spacing has not changed.
Exactly. I have '03 Veloce, '06 Centaur, '05 grey Centaur, '06 QS Chorus and Non QS '06 Record. With Chorus, Record and KMC 10S chains. Mix 'em up all the time, all work together flawlessly.

Bob Loblaw
02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
The chain isnt actually wedging between the chainrings right? Its just not engaging and it rides over the peaks of the teeth as you pedal.

I had the same problem some years ago and solved it by replacing the chain and shortening it by one link. Not sure which of those or both together resolved it.

BL

OK, I'll default to the experts. I was told that was my problem, and it made sense to me.

If that isn't my problem, then what is? Those cranks were installed new from the box and have never been changed or adapted, and the chainring bolts are sufficiently tight.

Grant McLean
02-04-2012, 07:28 PM
The chain isnt actually wedging between the chainrings right? Its just not engaging and it rides over the peaks of the teeth as you pedal.

BL

There isn't nearly enough room between the rings for the chain
to fit between them, there is less than 4mm between the inside
face of the outer ring, and the outside of the inner ring,
so i don't understand what he means by saying the chain is
"falling between" them.

He has to be talking about the chain riding over the peaks.

-g

jbrainin
02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
The problem described could easily occur if one of the chainrings is installed backwards (or flipped, if you prefer,) no?

oldpotatoe
02-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Adjust the front derailleur. Make sure the small ring isn't installed backwards.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
The problem described could easily occur if one of the chainrings is installed backwards (or flipped, if you prefer,) no?
Not hard to do, especially the inner ring.

rain dogs
02-05-2012, 01:35 PM

I had the same problem some years ago and solved it by replacing the chain and shortening it by one link. Not sure which of those or both together resolved it.

BL

Yes, this is correct. I guess I shouldn't say "between the rings", it's more just "between the dimensions of engagement"

I checked the rings, and as long as the "Brev. Campagnolo" and "Made in Italy" should be outwardly visible (how they were out of the box) then the ring isn't flipped.

The Record chain has, and always is installed based on the instructions in the chain box for calculating length and happened since new.

Other than a FD issue, (which it must be) everything seems correct. I've tried changing the "yaw" of the derailleur numerous times and that only reduces shifting quality. My LBS tried solving the problem, and they were the ones who came back with the pre and post 2006 statement, which I bought.

????

It's never been enough of an issue that it really bothers me, and the pickup from the 39 to the 53 is so good and quick that I hate fiddling with it. I could never get my previous Ultegra/Dura-ace systems to pick-up so fast and effortlessly... so I live with it...

but it is sometimes annoying and is "The princess and the pea" kinda issue.

Mike748
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I've got a lightly used c10 6.1 chain if you think it will help. Any chance you have a 9 speed Record crankset? That would have .4mm wider spacing.

rain dogs
02-05-2012, 11:41 PM
I've got a lightly used c10 6.1 chain if you think it will help. Any chance you have a 9 speed Record crankset? That would have .4mm wider spacing.

We went out today for a good 4 hr ride and it was still doing it. I feel like I've thread-jacked this and will just experiment with derailleur adjustment.

It's definitely not a 9 speed crankset, those had different logos and everything. My crankset is from 2004/05. It's got to be a derailleur issue.

I'll figure it out, thanks for all the help/suggestions everyone.

keevon
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I had a similar issue on a square-taper Record crankset.

Replacing the small ring cured the problem.

cmg
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
If the chainrings haven't been replaced then it's probably a derailluer issue. If the chainrings have been replaced there is a thin washer that goes between the chainrings on the crank arm bolt. if that washer isn't there you could be have the problem your describing.