PDA

View Full Version : Road shoes for high arches

jischr
02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I typically buy my shoes a bit large due to high arches. I've lost some weight in the last couple years and now my 'short' foot is really quite sloppy in the heel and toe. Those of you who also have high arches, what brands have you found that fit well? Any males try wearing women's shoes? That worked for me as a runner thirty years ago.

Thanks

Ralph
02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
My Specialized has a huge amount of arch support....maybe too much for some people.

giverdada
02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
i hear specialized and others make insoles that are stackable/variable so that you can tune the arch support height to the height of your arch. sounds dreamy. i have wide feet and a medium arch, and just switched to some bonts with superfeet insoles. fan-tas-tic. give'r.

maunahaole
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I recently picked up a pair of esoles inserts. They come as a kit with four different arch support choices. I've been pretty happy with them - they can be tuned for a higher arch than the superfeet trim to fit insole. The size 47 insert went into my size 47 sidi with no trimming.

gasman
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I have high arches also and use specialized shoes with the velcro closures and a pair of custom orthotics and have been very happy for years.

eippo1
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I use the Specialized insoles which have 3 versions - low arch, medium arch and high arch in all my shoes even my Sidis :eek:

Grant McLean
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Custom insoles is the best investment i've made in cycling gear.

-g

weiwentg
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
My Specialized has a huge amount of arch support....maybe too much for some people.

I thought that Specialized has 3 sets of insoles with varying degrees of arch support. my feet are flat and I'm fine with mine.

regularguy412
02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Just purchased some Specialized S-Works shoes late last summer. I now have +/- 2,000 miles on them. I, too, have high arches. I tried some insoles with high arch supports, but found they tended to make my feet tingle. I dunno why, but I guess I have just gotten used to not having much support in the mid-foot. For years, I've only ridden Shimano shoes. I found that the last Shimanos I purchased had a substantially different last than the older models that fit just perfectly.

I highly recommend the S-Works shoes. I can now get the cleat far enough back on my shoe to help keep my calves from hurting on long rides. The BOA closure system is great. One can micro-adjust the snugness, both in the fore foot and at the ankle opening. As others have stated, the S-Works shoes come with several different varus and valgus inserts which you can mix and match for neutral or tilt.

I might also add that I have what is equivalent to a leg-length imbalance. Right leg is effectively approximately 8 mm shorter than the left. I shim my right cleat approximately 4 mm. These shoes work quite well with this setup. I am currently using Campy Record Pro-Fit cleats and pedals.

Mike in AR:beer:

Straz
02-03-2012, 05:48 AM
I have high arches and have tried several different insoles over the past couple years. The best I have found are the Esole efit Supportive insoles (http://www.esoles.com/products/efit_supportive.aspx) .

As far as shoes go, I've also tried a couple different brands over the years and for me it comes down to how well the heel is retained and toe box width, I let the insole take care of arch support. For my feet, I like Northwaves the best.

Sheldon4209
02-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Grant and Gasman - What cycling shoes do you wear with the custom orthotics?My cycling shoes have too narrow of a heal for my orthotics.

Thanks

tiretrax
02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Is your foot narrow, medium or wide? That will have as much of an affect as the height of your arch, which can be remedied easily with custom insoles. I have a narrow heel, so Sidi's have been my choice. But, now tha the SWorks has two boa's, I may make a change.

MattTuck
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
i think that your best bet is to get a quality cycling shoe, and deal with the high arch with aftermarket or custom insoles.

Honestly, the last time I tried on shoes, I was looking at Sidi and Specialized, if you took the insoles out, the specialized one was clearly more engineered and of substance, the sidi one was very plain and simple, and pretty flat.

I think superfeet make a product for cycling shoes, and it may have a high arch...

Dave
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Some cycling shoes, like Sidi, have arch support built into the sole, so the insole can be nothing but a thin pad. I've got high arches and rode Sidi shoes for many years.

Most custom insoles from a podiatrist will be made to fit street shoes and the heel area will have too much volume to fit into a cycling shoe. I have found some heat formable, off-the-shelf insoles that work.

If you want the the ultimate in support and a custom fit, try D2 custom shoes. I got some a few years ago and they have worked well. They are a very tight fit however. I switched to very thin cycling-specific socks to use with the D2 shoes. While riding, most of my weight feels like it's bearing on the arch area, rather than the ball of the foot.

http://www.d2shoe.com/home/roadgallery.html

FlashUNC
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I'll echo what some others have said. S-Works shoes, and the insoles, are great for it.

When I was shopping, I found the Fizik's had some pretty aggressive arch support. A bit too much for me, which is why I went with Specialized shoes over the Fiziks.

Plus I think the Fiziks are a damn good looking shoe.

gasman
02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Grant and Gasman - What cycling shoes do you wear with the custom orthotics?My cycling shoes have too narrow of a heal for my orthotics.

Thanks

I use Specialized but had the orthotics made specifically for the shoe. My orthotics for my running/hiking shoes are pretty different.

firerescuefin
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
The Sole cycling inserts for shoes are the best semi custom option I have come across.

Was turned onto these by a teammate.

http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/thin/sport/

Heat moldable. They do take some adjusting for your feet..ie, don't do an epic ride/give your feet some time to adjust. I have them in my Ergo 2's.
My feet were sore initially, but I love them now. I got mine at REI. If you don't like em, take them back.

mattsbeers
02-03-2012, 01:59 PM
The new Giro shoes have a variable arch support, also may be have a look at the new Fizik mold-able insoles.

Grant McLean
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks

I'm currently using shimano R240 and M240 shoes (in wide)
they are custom fit mouldable uppers too, and had
the "Conformable" brand custom insoles made for me,
I think they're the brand making the new Fizik shoe insoles.

Orthotics can be a different animal than custom insoles,
the purpose of which is to keep the arch stationary during
during pedalling, where orthotics can be used for various
different purposes, depending on the issue.

Walking and cycling require different supports.

-g

hainy
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
esoles