PDA

View Full Version : 7801 Shifter

Stefan
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Clue me in please. The left shifter ratchet wont engage so I can't get out of the big ring on my 7801 set up. Sometimes if I push the inside lever forward, after it clears other outer lever, I can get the ratchet to engage, but you have to play with it to get it to work. So my first fix was to ride another bike, but both are doing it. And a buddy's shifter is doing the same thing. IDK.

Is it toast? Thanks.

harryschwartzma
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Try shooting some WD-40 into the mechanism and working the shifter. Let it soak overnight. It should fix it.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Clue me in please. The left shifter ratchet wont engage so I can't get out of the big ring on my 7801 set up. Sometimes if I push the inside lever forward, after it clears other outer lever, I can get the ratchet to engage, but you have to play with it to get it to work. So my first fix was to ride another bike, but both are doing it. And a buddy's shifter is doing the same thing. IDK.

Is it toast? Thanks.

Use the 'STI rebuild kit', spray lube, or WD-40, may loosen up the accumulated gunk in there and bring it back. Also make sure the head hasn't broken off the inner wire..common on these levers. If that doesn't bring it back, it is history.

3 year warranty..BTW-

stien
02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
What he said /\

It's a bummer that shimano that new is going south. I'm heading back to DT friction shifters (grumble grumble).

Stefan
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
They are way outside the warranty. But I'm surprised that the left shifter had issues before the right. I'll try the WD40 tonight.

Thanks for the insight.