PDA

View Full Version : Jacket suggestions

mossman
02-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I am seeking a new jacket that will block wind and rain, pack light in jersey pocket, and offer plenty of ventilation/breathability. I prefer uninsulated shells and more of race fit.

I'm considering either the Shower's Pass Elite Pro or the Gore GT AS. The SP looks like it would fit the bill, but I havent tried one on nor seen them in person. My local shop carries the Gore and it fits great, but I'm concerned about the lack of vents. Perhaps the Gore-Tex material does not require it.

Any experiences with these two jackets would be greatly appreciated. Or other suggestions for a similar jacket would be excellent.

Thank you.

Hartlin
02-01-2012, 02:39 PM
No experience with the Shower Pass, but I have a Gore Oxygen III, which looks almost identical to the Oxygen GT AS, which I am assuming you're talking about.

I think the Gore is top notch, fit is superb, wind and waterproof while still packing up nicely. I can't say enough good things about the fit. I cannot imagine a better fitting rain cape.

My one gripe is the breathability, yes it is breathable, but I still do get condensation build up on the inside. However I have always had a tendency to overheat in anything wind or waterproof. It's a minimal issue however, as it's greatly outweighed by its waterproofness. I don't think there is an absolute perfect breathability to waterproofness ratio, but this is pretty darn close.

Personally, I also have a really lightweight packable wind jacket. I do tend to reach for a wind jacket more frequently, but the Gore is my go to for heavy rain or snow.

thinpin
02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Not exactly what you listed but I use the Showers Pass Pro Tech jacket (on closeout from their site in larger sizes). Packs very small and works well to keep me warm in all wet conditions here. Ventilation is good for me, but I am not a heavy sweater. I never worry about keeping dry in heavy rain. Water will get in no matter what you wear.
As for Gore tex the stuff was designed for space and also works at altitude. But once the outer shell is saturated no moisture gets out. So as the outer repellant treatment wears off the breathability of the garment is significantly reduced. Gore tex also relies on a significant humidity gradient. So it wont work when its humid - period. Thats been my experience with the stuff anyway - a waste of money. Its is a marketing marvel though!

njgustafson
02-01-2012, 03:05 PM
The Showers Pass Elite 2.0 is a balling cycling jacket, and the fabric (eVent) surpasses anything Gore has to offer in terms of breathability. If you want to get a cheap eVent jacket, the Novara Verita is also eVent and has a nice, slim fit.

veloduffer
02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Despite mfr claims, the breathability of waterproof (real waterproof) fabrics is sketchy at best IMHO. I've got Goretex and eVent made jackets and still sweat. You need flap vents in the back and pit zip vents to adequately cool. You may also want a convertibile jacket where you can zip off the sleeves like this Pearl Izumi convertible jacket (http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=33&product_id=1728894&outlet=) .

buldogge
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
This is what I use...not waterproof but pretty water resistant. I use it thru the winter with merino baselayer + jersey + insulation layer if necessary. It breathes well with pit/chest/back zippers and flaps.

-Mark in St. Louis

Despite mfr claims, the breathability of waterproof (real waterproof) fabrics is sketchy at best IMHO. I've got Goretex and eVent made jackets and still sweat. You need flap vents in the back and pit zip vents to adequately cool. You may also want a convertibile jacket where you can zip off the sleeves like this Pearl Izumi convertible jacket (http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=33&product_id=1728894&outlet=) .

sevencyclist
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Rapha Classic Softshell on sale now, in case you are interested.

dauwhe
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Rapha Classic Softshell on sale now, in case you are interested.

Where? Not seeing a sale at rapha.cc or competitive cyclist...

Thanks!

Dave

DRZRM
02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
NEWZIP12 gets you 20% off until Feb. 5th.

Where? Not seeing a sale at rapha.cc or competitive cyclist...

Thanks!

Dave

tiretrax
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I love the Rapha softshell, but I don't think it's very breathable.

rnhood
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
As has already been said, none of them are very breathable. The way to cool down is to unzip the front. Nothing else works all that well. And Goretex is as good as Event for all practical purposes (meaning about 2 hours in the rain). I have both a SP and Gore jacket. I prefer the Gore. Its a matter of preference though.

pdmtong
02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
NEWZIP12 gets you 20% off until Feb. 5th.

thanks...is the code for CC or rapha?

eddief
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
great jacket. opens up and closes down. breathe in it or turn it into a toaster oven. great jacket...but i would not consider it particularly compact-able. quite a bit thicker than a single layer nylon wind breaker. their next model down it a coated fabric i have not tried, but i would guess mor compactable.

Grant McLean
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I am seeking a new jacket that will block wind and rain, pack light in jersey pocket, and offer plenty of ventilation/breathability.

As others have said, it doesn't exist.

Anything that is a full shell is too hot above freezing, and it won't pack
into a jersey pocket. There is no fabric breathable enough to deal with
the amount of vapour that gets trapped by being waterproof.

I think it's best to face the reality that a rain jacket is a specific piece
that one should consider as a specialty item for days when you have
to ride in the rain (if at all, people should really consider if they need one,
so many people will never leave the house for a ride during a rainstorm)
If you have to ride regularly in the rain, you'll already know about the
issues of overheating and the limitations of trying in vain to keep dry.

That leaves the options for riding in different temperature ranges,
and how much wind and cold protection you need. I find that the best
solutions mix wind proof panels with fleece backed parts that breath.

Assos has all this stuff pretty much nailed. You don't have to buy their stuff,
but having a look at their approach (see the "ALS" part of their website)
to dressing for temperature and how they have achieved this is something
well worth educating yourself on in order to learn to dress comfortably for
all conditions.

-g

wooly
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Works on the Rapha site but only on the softshell jacket as far as I can tell.

DRZRM

Oops sorry, Rapha.

Lewym
The SP Double Century (http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/mens-jackets/mens-double-century) is lighter and more packable than the Elite. Downside is that it lacks pockets (that is what your jersey is for), but for a breathable, lightweight waterproof, windproof jacket that can pack into a jersey pocket the Double Century is hard to beat. Seattle-weather tested and approved.

Ahneida Ride
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
www.foxwear.net

All 100% custom tailored and made in USA.

check em out.... order one for myself and one for a friend ...
I could not be happier !!!!

the Polartec NeoShell is amazing ....

Lou is a great guy to work with, not like that HandleBra creep !

beeatnik
02-01-2012, 08:32 PM
As others have said, it doesn't exist.

Anything that is a full shell is too hot above freezing, and it won't pack
into a jersey pocket. There is no fabric breathable enough to deal with
the amount of vapour that gets trapped by being waterproof.

I think it's best to face the reality that a rain jacket is a specific piece
that one should consider as a specialty item for days when you have
to ride in the rain (if at all, people should really consider if they need one,
so many people will never leave the house for a ride during a rainstorm)
If you have to ride regularly in the rain, you'll already know about the
issues of overheating and the limitations of trying in vain to keep dry.

That leaves the options for riding in different temperature ranges,
and how much wind and cold protection you need. I find that the best
solutions mix wind proof panels with fleece backed parts that breath.

Assos has all this stuff pretty much nailed. You don't have to buy their stuff,
but having a look at their approach (see the "ALS" part of their website)
to dressing for temperature and how they have achieved this is something
well worth educating yourself on in order to learn to dress comfortably for
all conditions.

-g

This.

All 5 paragraphs.