08-15-2005, 09:19 AM
ok

15 minutes of rain at end of ride

follow owner's manual for Power Tap

take off cover, leave it open overnight to dry out

put it back on

now its jacked up and reads gibberish

taking it to LBS

what is up with this thing? ideas? is it screwed?

Fixed
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
it may dry sorry to hear that.

Ginger
08-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Are you sure it's reading gibberish? :p

slowgoing
08-15-2005, 10:10 AM
gibberish in, gibberish out.

Too Tall
08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Snot dry yet...patience and a fan cricket.
Did you take the batter out too?
Use dielectric grease on all contacts incl. the head unit. (trak auto).
Quit riding in the rain. Est. your TSS if that's important for your training log.

Dr. Doofus
08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
so, basically, your doof now has a "sunshine-only" bike?

reason enough to get rid of the power tap, in doof's book

it usually rains an afternoon t-storm 4-6 days a week in august and september in these parts

Fixed
08-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I guess that just became your not rain bike.Cheers

Too Tall
08-15-2005, 01:42 PM
'Chu know what Ricky? Now I recall being advised to freshen up the big O ring under the battery cover by someone on the wattage forum. Queen's is used in the rain alot and no problem-o. Anyway, something is still wet or the battery cover is too tight / too loose....seriously. I was told to always sink the screws exactly same no. of turns each time I replace the battery.

KenO, talk to Robert. You know alot more than me.

Ginger
08-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Aw shucks, I was going to ask him to sell it to me cheap.

I was going to post up that my housemate uses his seemingly in all weather and I haven't heard a complaint yet. There must be something about waterproofing that needs to be done to the unit in question.

Dr. Doofus
08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
'Chu know what Ricky? Now I recall being advised to freshen up the big O ring under the battery cover by someone on the wattage forum. Queen's is used in the rain alot and no problem-o. Anyway, something is still wet or the battery cover is too tight / too loose....seriously. I was told to always sink the screws exactly same no. of turns each time I replace the battery.

KenO, talk to Robert. You know alot more than me.

saw on the cover to not tighten more than 7 turns so as not to damage the O rings...gave them each 6 1/2...the cover is a little loose, but didn't want to torque it down and break the thing....

taking it to charlotte this aftrenoon to a guy who has serviced a few PT wheels

Dr. Doofus
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Aw shucks, I was going to ask him to sell it to me cheap.

I was going to post up that my housemate uses his seemingly in all weather and I haven't heard a complaint yet. There must be something about waterproofing that needs to be done to the unit in question.

been told two things about the PT and PT Pro:

1) Never ride it in the wet because "A drop of water and you lose all your data"*

2) Ride it in the rain all you want, no-problemo**

* quote from master's pursuit champ

** paraphrase of Too Tall

it would seem amounts of evidence exist for both claims

SManning
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Hmm, I've ridden my powertap through anything, including wet and salted streets and have never opened it to dry it out and haven't had any problems at all with it afterwards. I know that MA's roommate runs his through anything; I don't think he does any type of waterproofing at all. If so, he hasn't clued me into it. My other friends with PT's haven't had weather problems with their's either.

Gosh Dr. Doof, I'm sorry yours was so touchy. I hope you can get it fixed.

Sarah

Ginger
08-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey! Maybe that's the problem. You followed the directions?

SManning
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah, that's probably why Dr. Doofus' powertap is acting up. I'm really glad I didn't read my instruction manual when it came to that chapter. ;) I sure hope I'm not asking for future problems though.

Ginger
08-15-2005, 04:16 PM

Marron
08-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Early versions had a problem with water entering from the drive side. The fix was a very thin disk/washer inserted between the hub and cassette holder. Is it possible you own one of the these and it isn't fitted with this seal?

Mine, which was new in '99, had this problem and once corrected remained watertight. That's watertight in Seattle.

Dr. Doofus
08-15-2005, 06:04 PM
this one new 2005

1) put batteries in backwards

2) owner = doofus

3) shop was quite amused

4) problem is the in handlebar computer -- must have got some water or whatnot in it...its getting better, but still kinda wacky

Climb01742
08-15-2005, 06:15 PM
think of your follibles as charming.