PDA

View Full Version : Bike Floss

Wilkinson4
01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Anybody use this product?

http://www.purpleharry.co.uk/products_display?prod=1

Always hard getting into those little areas.

mIKE

AgilisMerlin
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
reminds me of dayz past buying pipe cleaners ;)

Louis
01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
reminds me of dayz past buying pipe cleaners ;)

To clean the spaces between the rollers on your chain? ;)

54ny77
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
funny stuff.

Andrewlcox
02-01-2012, 01:29 AM
I bought some of this gear floss (http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Floss-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B004JKK75A) but haven't used it yet. It seems like it would work good though.

TimD
02-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I bought some of this gear floss (http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Floss-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B004JKK75A) but haven't used it yet. It seems like it would work good though.

I was given some of this for Christmas. It works well on a cassette.

Supposedly it is washable. Just make sure you get it out of the washing machine before the missus finds it in there! :no:

William
02-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I just use old thongs. ;)

Either that or old t-shirts with simple green works great.

WilliaM

John M
02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Either that or old t-shirts with simple green works great.

+1. I cut old t-shirts into strips and use them as cleaning "floss"

AngryScientist
02-01-2012, 07:47 AM
i suppose if they make a product someone will buy it, but seems like a waste to me. i cut up old rags if i need to get in tight spots.

i have a rapidly growing infant, i get all the outgrown clothes, socks, etc for my rag bin, and now have quite a surplus for cleaning tasks.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktTXjSqvJc

Stencil brush, little pan of diesel.

Bob Loblaw
02-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Rags, brushes, simple green and lemon pledge work for me.

BL

Louis
02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Paper towels and Simple Green on most of my bikes.

Jaq
02-02-2012, 01:16 AM
On a slightly different tangent....

How clean is too clean? I ask because I tend to fuss over my bike. I have no problem with getting it filthy on rides. But I usually do a quick wipe down after a ride, a little more once a week, and once a month give it a bath and a scrub behind the ears, as it were. And if I take it to a shop for something, I'll go nuts cleaning it beforehand.

But the other day I was looking over a fellow's very nice bike and his drive train was caked with crud, like diesel-oil and clay-dust crud. Agricrud. It got me wondering whether I'm obsessive-compulsive, or that guy's just a slob. Or maybe both. What's the standard of cleanliness, or how do you know when it's time to degrease the chain?

Louis
02-02-2012, 01:32 AM
What's the standard of cleanliness, or how do you know when it's time to degrease the chain?

I used to do this, and I usually still install a quick-link to make it easier to remove the chain, but a few years ago I quit degreasing. Now I just run the chain through a paper towel to clean it a bit, lube with more Pro Link, wipe off the excess, and go. No more big chain cleaning projects. I haven't really noticed a significant change in life or performance, and I have more time to ride.

Germany_chris
02-02-2012, 01:46 AM
My chains are the standard for what you don't want :cool:

Louis
02-02-2012, 01:50 AM
My chains are the standard for what you don't want :cool:

What are you doing here? I thought your bikes had been taken away from you and put in foster homes. :p

Germany_chris
02-02-2012, 01:54 AM
they probably should..

I really need to give the Serotta a bath since it played snow bike on Tuesday.. :beer:

reptarlazer
02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I usually use a rag, t-shirt, or paper towel. But last night, I was cleaning out some downtube shifter bosses and those look like they could have been handy. I ended up just shooting tri-flow in there to blast out the sludge.

cfox
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I used to do this, and I usually still install a quick-link to make it easier to remove the chain, but a few years ago I quit degreasing. Now I just run the chain through a paper towel to clean it a bit, lube with more Pro Link, wipe off the excess, and go. No more big chain cleaning projects. I haven't really noticed a significant change in life or performance, and I have more time to ride.
same procedure/lube here, minus the quick-link. I gave up on those as overkill. Zinn claims to get close to infinite life for chainrings and cassettes using the wipe down/re-lube with prolink method. any lube works, though, as long as you use it.

jerome
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
People have great imagination to fill their dumpster and deplete their wallet or others wallets.

THE LANDFILLS ARE FULL UP ALREADY

EDS
02-02-2012, 03:27 PM
i suppose if they make a product someone will buy it, but seems like a waste to me. i cut up old rags if i need to get in tight spots.

i have a rapidly growing infant, i get all the outgrown clothes, socks, etc for my rag bin, and now have quite a surplus for cleaning tasks.

My wife backs that stuff away in case there is an infant #2. She would never let me turn it into rags to clean my bike!

tiretrax
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
My wife backs that stuff away in case there is an infant #2. She would never let me turn it into rags to clean my bike!
Use old tshirts. I've got to do something with all the shirts I get from rallies, giving blood, etc. Old shirts work, too. My son outgrows his T shirts at least once a year, so there's a good supply at my house. Also, my children used to get mustard stains on their clothes. Those don't wash out, so I could count on that, as well.

I bought a box of rags at the hardware store a few years ago before a big painting project. I've still got penty of those left - all are made of t shirt material.