PDA

View Full Version : Decided on Pegoretti, now what?

The Spider
08-15-2005, 05:56 AM
I've decided to update my steal frame and I would like a Pegoretti Marcelo (the knowledge of all things Pegoretti is actually what brought me to this forum and it's wise inhabitants).

My question is (and this was touched on by 11.4 in another thread) what is the best way to interact with a frame builder?

I thought that I could give all my physical measurements AND my current favorite frame (A custom Parlee Z1) measurements and that way I can get a "pegoretti' as opposed to getting Dario to just make me a bike (does that make sense)...if you give a builder a bunch of measurements...where's the art? I would also give detailed list of my intended use of the bike and the componentry on it.

Have I forgotten anything and what do you think of this approach, what do the builders think? Are the most successful builds the one where you have the most information and left to your own devices? Would you prefer physical stats, frame measurements or both?

Now I've just got to figure out how to order one and the colour scheme!

cs124
08-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Now I've just got to figure out how to order one and the colour scheme!

Where abouts are ya? If Sydney then you're in luck. I spoke to the bloke from Stanmore Cycles, who I believe are the only Pegoretti dealer in Australia. He seemed passionate and reasonably knowlegable but I think, and this is only a feeling I got from 1 phone conversation, it would be imperative that you give him all those details about body/frame/riding style you suggested.

For me in Melbourne there's the added logistics and transport issues which mean I haven't pulled the trigger yet...well, that and the siren call of a custom Teschner...

Good luck, and be sure to tell us all about it... as for the colour...sorry, can't help you there mate ;)

RichMc
08-15-2005, 12:36 PM
I suggest you go to the Competitive Cyclist web site & run through their "fit calculator" program. It's on the very bottom of just about any page if you scroll down far enough. It will get you into the ballpark, as they say. Try to set up your current bike to the recommended specs and see how that goes. Maybe get some test rides on other frames that are close. If something doesn't feel right then adjust to find what you like. I did that to find the top tube and head tube lengths I like along with the setback. A little trial & error here and there led me to a 60cm Marcelo. That was a tad bigger than recommended by the fit calculator. Actually it was a composite of the fit calculator and a Serotta fitting session results. Bottom line is that it works and I'm happy.

dnovo
08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I'd get a pro to fit you, although the CC fit calculator is better than not having someone else do the fit.

Since you are 'Down Under' consider having Darryl at Llewellyn build you a bike in steel. I think some of my photos of one that he built for me should be floating around the site somewhere. Dave N.

Needs Help
08-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Have I forgotten anything and what do you think of this approach, what do the builders think?
Check the current thread: Question about custom bikes.

Climb01742
08-23-2005, 06:54 PM
spider, i'd send dario your body measurements and/or your three contact points, and let dario go from there. are you sure, though, that a stock peg geo wouldn't work, and then do a custom paint job?

Air Jer
08-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I agree with DNOVO. Darryl at Llewelyn makes good stuff from what I have seen and I don't think you are taking a back seat to any other maker though by reputation it would seem they might have more panache.

The Spider
08-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Folks...despite me asking for builders opinion in 2 different posts I haven't received an answer....so.....

I'm going to send it all.....my 2 current road bike specs, my physical specs, componentry, goals, riding style, hopes, dreams, favorite music and taste in girls to Dario and see what he says.

Climb, I have asked if he thinks I could fit on a stock frame as you suggested...when you talk...I listen!

Good luck to the poor fella trying to come up with the painting style to match Public Enemy's "fear of a black planet" LP!

Thanks to all for your help. I will keep the results posted (if you care)

Climb01742
08-24-2005, 04:35 AM
Good luck to the poor fella trying to come up with the painting style to match Public Enemy's "fear of a black planet" LP!

Thanks to all for your help. I will keep the results posted (if you care)

dario is the guy to turn musical inspiration into paint. that should be a great paint scheme. please keep us posted, i'd be very interested.