PDA

View Full Version : Surprised at % of Drivers On Cell Phones

jt2gt
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Snuck out for a ride yesterday and while at a light noticed about 50% of drivers passing were on cell phones (hand held). Even with the new laws against phones while driving, drivers are talking away with a phone to their ear.

I was by myself and rode nervous the rest of the way home thinking about some kid or grandma or anyone talking away and and hitting me from behind.

Are you riding any differently knowing that folks are on their phones presumably paying less attention. Should I take up the road more so they at least see me or just keep riding while praying.

JT

Joachim
01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Down here in the South East, I'm surprised at the number of people texting two hands while driving. Here its still legal to phone (hand held) while driving. Texting while driving is only illegal in one town.

Steve in SLO
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
In Calif, the ban took effect a while back. There was a rush to buy handsfree devices, a lull in the handheld 'action', then back to lots of handheld use within a month.
With our collective sense of cell phone entitlement, nothing will get better without LOTS of enforcement and a big PR/P.S.A. push on their evils. Unfortunately, (big generalization coming) I think it will take each person having a negative effect on their life for them to stop using them. Until then, I ride with a Viewpoint mirror to see what's coming up from behind, and lots of eye contact and waves to cover those potentially turning in fromt of me.
At this time, I am encouraging my 12 and 14 year olds to ride MTBs.

PQJ
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know about the technical feasability of cell-phone blocking technology? I'm thinking of something that disables the antenna while in the confines of a vehicle. I'm also thinking of a law requiring auto manufactures to include it in all vehicles, as well as laws against disabling or tampering with the device. Let's not get into this latter question - I'm only curious to know whether it is technically possible. Thanks.

fiamme red
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Here in NYC, the "bike-friendly" DOT has just created a new system (to help people find parking spots) that will actually encourage cell phone use while driving. :crap:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-01-19/news/30645081_1_parking-app-transportation-commissioner-janette-sadik-khan-free-app

Drivers across the city may one day find parking spots with help from their smartphones if devices being piloted near Arthur Avenue prove durable.

Bright yellow sensors about the size of hockey pucks were installed in the pavement this week in 177 parking spaces on both sides of 187th St in Belmont. Department of Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, who unveiled the sensors Wednesday, said that if they survive three months of city weather and street cleaning, the city will launch a free app to let drivers see which of the spots are vacant.

“There are benefits, not only to drivers but to the surrounding community,” Sadik-Khan said. “You’re relieving the congestion and pollution associated with those people who are cruising around looking for parking.”

If the app becomes available, it will tell drivers if more or fewer than two spots are available, or if more than four spots are open in the area. A similar system has been successful in San Francisco, she said. The sensors, made in Holland by Needap, cost about $250 each, and two are needed for each spot. Sadik-Khan said this first batch of sensors was donated and cost taxpayers nothing.

Reporters asked Sadik-Khan if the app might lead more drivers to be cited for using their phone while behind the wheel.

“Right now we’re just testing the equipment,” the commissioner said. “The parking app has worked in other cities that have done it.”

Later she said drivers will be able to access the app before they start driving and should do so.

jt2gt
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
.....lots of eye contact and waves to cover those potentially turning in fromt of me.

Steve...I am doing a lot more waving than i used to. Even when a car waits and passes me nicely, i give them a little wave. Big eye contact and nice pointing/waving to those about to turn in front of me. As for my son...not sure what to encourage, but we do get out on the MTBs more.

JT

flydhest
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Before we can expect to be respected on the roads, we have to respect the rules of the road, just like car drivers.

Idris Icabod
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know about the technical feasability of cell-phone blocking technology? I'm thinking of something that disables the antenna while in the confines of a vehicle. I'm also thinking of a law requiring auto manufactures to include it in all vehicles, as well as laws against disabling or tampering with the device. Let's not get into this latter question - I'm only curious to know whether it is technically possible. Thanks.

There are blockers on the market that are cheap but I think you need to purchase from overseas as I believe they are not legal to buy here. I doubt if installation in cars would fly, passangers would also be blocked and post accident after texting drivers plow into street sweepers then that would prevent calling for clean up.

I've sometimes thought about buying one and sticking it in my bag on my commute to work but decided the affects of a dropped call on a driver and the subsequent attention it would take to redial and take eyes off the road might create an even bigger hazard for other road users.

johnnymossville
01-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I've noticed about 50% on the phone as well. Why is it that some people have to be in constant contact with someone else?

Ever go to a restaurant and notice that everyone is talking/texting on their phone rather than to the person across the table?

Something's gotta give.

slowandsteady
01-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Supposedly the INSURANCE companies are working on this technology and the Lobbying involved in making it a feasible method of reducing cell use while in car.

Let's say your insurance jumps to $3,000 per year if you do not install the free call blocking software. BUT if you choose to participate and install the insurance companies or gov't software / hardware technology you will only pay your normal $500 per year...would that be the incentive we need to reduce cell use for calls and txting? Would you make this choice and give up your calls and txting ability to save big bucks each year? ps - 911 would still be a usable frequency.

Chance
01-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Are you riding any differently knowing that folks are on their phones presumably paying less attention. Should I take up the road more so they at least see me or just keep riding while praying.

JT
Yes. And no, taking more of the road doesn't sound like a great idea. The problem is not that their eyes can't see you, it's their brain sometimes doesn't process that you are there.

deechee
01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Riding the same as I think most people are distracted regardless.

That said, http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811379.pdf

"Of those injured in distracted-driving-related crashes,
24,000 involved reports of a cell phone as a distraction
(5% of injured people in distraction-related crashes)."

You can read the data any way you like, but I honestly don't think cellphone distraction is that much different from people fiddling with the radio or being distracted by a passenger. People are stupid. Act accordingly.

Deal Extreme has the cell phone blockers. Not sure why you would want something that would most likely need to emit MORE power to a radio frequency next to your body... (you're flooding the frequency to block it)

khjr
01-31-2012, 12:05 PM
In Calif, the ban took effect a while back. There was a rush to buy handsfree devices, a lull in the handheld 'action', then back to lots of handheld use within a month.
With our collective sense of cell phone entitlement, nothing will get better without LOTS of enforcement and a big PR/P.S.A. push on their evils. Unfortunately, (big generalization coming) I think it will take each person having a negative effect on their life for them to stop using them. Until then, I ride with a Viewpoint mirror to see what's coming up from behind, and lots of eye contact and waves to cover those potentially turning in fromt of me.

Same thing happened here in Connecticut. Handsfree law with zero enforcement and zero impact. When I was growing up, it was quite common to drive drunk. Totally acceptable, with zero social stigma. Lobbyists (Mothers against drunk driving, the insurance industry, etc.) changed all that. The same needs to happen with cell phone use. I don't think that cyclists or pedestrians exist in great enough numbers to force this change, but am hopeful that the increased frequency of cellphone induced auto accidents and related tragedies will be enough to prompt lobbying by the insurance industry.

FGC
01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
When I'm on the road I assume half the people are on the phone and the other half are drunk.

When I'm out riding at 6am, who is everyone talking to on their phone? I don't get it.

William
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Lock them up!!

William ;)

bargainguy
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
OK, has anyone noticed the number of cyclists who are on a cell phone while riding?

I see this all the time. Sometimes with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Don

flydhest
01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
OK, has anyone noticed the number of cyclists who are on a cell phone while riding?

I see this all the time. Sometimes with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Don
I see more and more cyclists, but nowhere near the number of drivers, either in terms of absolute numbers or in terms of percentages.

Could just be DC, but that's what I see on my daily commute through the city. I do not talk on the phone while biking. I'm too afraid of the cars.

cfox
01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
I've noticed about 50% on the phone as well. Why is it that some people have to be in constant contact with someone else?

Ever go to a restaurant and notice that everyone is talking/texting on their phone rather than to the person across the table?

Something's gotta give.

So with you on this. I don't get it, and I'm not even that old. What is so important all of a sudden that everyone needs to be constantly on the phone??
I live in the land of housewives driving alone in giant SUVs. The number of them I see texting while driving is mind boggling. I think 90% of all pilates classes and manicures are scheduled while people drive.

Bob Ross
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
When I'm on the road I assume half the people are on the phone and the other half are drunk.

When I'm out riding at 6am, who is everyone talking to on their phone?

They're calling to find out which bars are still open.

ctbiker
01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
I think it's also a feeling of "I'm a much better driver than most. I'm smart enough, coordinated enough, focused enough ... I can't be part of the distracted set."

I honestly thought this too until I found myself correcting my driving line a couple times while talking on my cell.

We're always "above average," aren't we?

Ray in CT

1centaur
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
One of the most powerful forces to get women to exercise more often has been the cell phone. 5 years ago I'd see women power walking in twos through my suburban neighborhoods, and I now I see them by themselves, in greater numbers, walking briskly in exercise gear while chatting on the phone. Observing women I know, they like the ability to schedule their lives and their kids lives while driving, and they like the frequent social connection more than most men do. Men often seem to feel pleased that they're conducting business on the phone and on the go, multi-tasking being efficient and all. Whichever frequently true gender stereotypes you choose, there's a "reason" to be on the cell phone that rewards the behavior.

Steve in SLO
01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
This is the kind of multi-tasking that scares me:
1. Driving errands
2. while chatting with friend
3. while reading shopping list
4. while askig the kids to be quiet
5. while hitting something

oldpotatoe
02-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Same thing happened here in Connecticut. Handsfree law with zero enforcement and zero impact. When I was growing up, it was quite common to drive drunk. Totally acceptable, with zero social stigma. Lobbyists (Mothers against drunk driving, the insurance industry, etc.) changed all that. The same needs to happen with cell phone use. I don't think that cyclists or pedestrians exist in great enough numbers to force this change, but am hopeful that the increased frequency of cellphone induced auto accidents and related tragedies will be enough to prompt lobbying by the insurance industry.

Telecommunication industry>Insurance industry. More $, more bribes to the people making the laws, ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

cfox
02-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Same thing happened here in Connecticut. Handsfree law with zero enforcement and zero impact...
Ha! tell that to my wife...we live in Connecticut. She, who can barely use her cellphone at all let alone use it while driving, got a call from my son's preschool while she was at a stop light (with no where to pull over). Cop coming the other way swung around, pulled her over, gave her a ticket and created a traffic jam. What you write is largely true, though. At least half the cars I see have a phonetard chatting or typing away (and they'll get away with it).

tiretrax
02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Soccer moms in suburbans are the worst.

Black Dog
02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
It is a menace. Texting is as dangerous as drinking and driving. All the research shows this. However, there is no legislation anywhere in North America that addresses the issue with serious penalties or enforcement. The research is very clear yet we still let anything go as long as it is done in a car. After all it is just an accident. Killing or disabling a person with a car is still very much OK. In fact, people often feel bad for the poor driver. Road safety is a bit of a joke. No need to be accountable for actions taken behind the wheel.

eippo1
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
It is a menace. Texting is as dangerous as drinking and driving. All the research shows this. However, there is no legislation anywhere in North America that addresses the issue with serious penalties or enforcement. The research is very clear yet we still let anything go as long as it is done in a car. After all it is just an accident. Killing or disabling a person with a car is still very much OK. In fact, people often fell bad for the poor driver. Road safety is a bit of a joke. No need to be accountable for actions taken behind the wheel.

I completely agree with this. More accountability has to happen for drivers besides their points going up. Then people might start paying attention.

I also think that texting pedestrians are a menace as well. They are a danger to themselves and the vehicles that end up needed to swerve to avoid them. I almost got taken out by one of these swerving vehicles while on a bike. I saw a new one last night, though. A woman was slowly ambling across a blind turn crosswalk while doing a scratch card. I said, "Darwin in action" as I walked by, but of course she was oblivious.

learlove
02-01-2012, 11:26 AM

+1

eippo1
02-01-2012, 12:10 PM

I see a huge number of teens w/ full cars with the driver on the phone or texting. Don't get it, just give the phone to your frickin' friend next to you.

little.man
02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
You can read the data any way you like, but I honestly don't think cellphone distraction is that much different from people fiddling with the radio or being distracted by a passenger. People are stupid. Act accordingly.

It is more critical mass. As the first poster said, the number of drivers talking on cell phones is incredible. Go to any intersection and count the number of "distracted" drivers that you see. Vast majority will be on a cell phone. Not saying the other stuff is not distracting, but will probably not be done nearly as much and will last less time than the yacking that goes on on a cell phone.

Had one neighbor who I never saw in a car without her cell phone glued to her ear. Not that many people I want to talk to that bad.

Talking to a passenger is different than talking to someone on a cell phone. Passengers see what is happening on the road and can help a driver. The person on the other end of a cell phone has no clue - which is what makes talking on a cell phone more dangerous than talking to a passenger.

thinpin
02-01-2012, 03:01 PM
So true. Some years back when I moved here first while out to dinner I asked a friend of my wife if he would rather leave the table and be with the person he was texting. Folk looked at me like I was a madman. I stuck to it and we lost a significant group of my wife's old friends.

On the driving issue, it is illegal to drive while using a cell phone and common place here. i always point to the phone when I see it happening while on the bike and usually get abused. It will take a significant effort from police and a hugh culture shift to change.