PDA

View Full Version : OT: The "Official" Super Bowl thread

William
01-31-2012, 06:38 AM
Well, we know the Pats have this wrapped up already ( :p ) but for the sake of argument, how is this game going to shakeout?

Six hours of Pre-game????? :confused: How is this possible?

Half-time show: Can Madonna top Prince? :crap:

William

cfox
01-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Huge Pats fan here. I'm nervous, but I'm hoping Brady has one of his Obi-Wan Laser Focus days and just plays out of his mind. The fact that he doesn't need to sit in the pocket and wait for Moss to run 70 yards down field will make this a different game than '07. That said, the Giants are a better overall team, no doubt. I live in Giants country, and folks around here are VERY cocky and can't seem to envision a way the Giants can lose.

sg8357
01-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Jets over the Colts.
Looking forward to the tasteless Go-Daddy advert.

rugbysecondrow
01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Half-time show: Can Madonna top Prince? :crap:

William

I see a moderately scoring game, 21-24 type of score. The Pats tight ends are going to have a big game, even though Gron is hurt. They will move the ball, but not sure that will result in high scores. The Giants will force quick plays and will be able to hit some deep passes. Eli is playing great ball and I see him having a better game than Brady. The Giants D is much better than the Pats and that will give them the edge. Giants by 3

Madonna will flop, with younger folks wonder why there is an old woman dancing on TV, but she won't flop as much as The Who did a few years ago. That was atrocious.

Why do they trot out these old farts?

Nooch
01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Why do they trot out these old farts?

Because apparently the young kids can't be trusted to keep their clothes on!

Regardless, Giant's fan in Giant's country... I don't think it's a matter of cockiness -- The G-men are just playing excellent football right now. It's hard to envision them losing to the Pats because we know we're playing better, we're peaking. Plus, it's the old New York/Boston rivalry -- accepting that there's a chance they could lose is just silly and un-New York.. :)

(and yes, I use 'we' when talking about the Giants like I play for the team.. when asked what position, it's usually 'left out' or 'right cushion.')

Regardless of what happens, I'm heading out to Vegas for the weekend, renting a bike and riding red rocks, and spending time with my father-in-law.

PQJ
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Brady's a shoo-in for Super Bowl ring #4. There's more than just a Super Bowl on the line - the Pats are out to vindicate a loss that should never have been. The only surer bet in pro sports today is that Brazil will win the World Cup in 2014.

laupsi
01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Brady's a shoo-in for Super Bowl ring #4. There's more than just a Super Bowl on the line - the Pats are out to vindicate a loss that should never have been. The only surer bet in pro sports today is that Brazil will win the World Cup in 2014.

beg to differ, Brady hasn't done well against a stout defense all year, Sunday will be no different and I expect the Giants will have spent much time preparing their pass rush for the Brady Blitz

rugbysecondrow
01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Because apparently the young kids can't be trusted to keep their clothes on!

That shows you how old Madonna is, she is now trusted to keep her clothes on. :)

Seriously though, they need to stop it with the old folks, give us something to actually watch.

MattTuck
01-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Should be a good game, with good story line. Lots of opportunities for both coaches to know each other from past games, so the level of gamesmanship and 'knowing' the other team should be good. I doubt either team will be outcoached... unless you believe Bill B will be able to see something in the Giant's team that he hasn't been able to see yet.

which basically means the team that can execute on the field and create turn overs will probably be the one that will win.

Still, the pat's prevent defense will probably give up lots of yards to Manning, let's just hope they can make the stops when they need to, and also that Brady can put up yards going the opposite direction.

Should be a good game.

Chance
01-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Well, we know the Pats have this wrapped up already ( :p ) but for the sake of argument, how is this game going to shakeout?
Maybe 55% Patriots and 45% Giants.

William
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
That shows you how old Madonna is, she is now trusted to keep her clothes on. :)

Seriously though, they need to stop it with the old folks, give us something to actually watch.

Maybe she'll do her Slash impression again? :rolleyes: :crap:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/files/original/madonna2.jpg

William

johnnymossville
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
I predict the commercials and the halftime show will stink this year.

kong79
01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Danny Woodhead of the Pats is my hometown hero, so it's Pats all the way.

rice rocket
01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I love Woodhead too. His play has suffered some since last season though, I think he's only registered one carry per game at most this year and his confidence level has fallen.

Louis
01-31-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm guessing that the G-men will come out on top.

beercan
01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
24 - 17 Giants for the WIN!!!

biker72
01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
For most of the season the Giants were not very good. Even old Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson gave up on them. Honestly, the last 4 games of the regular season, the Giants started playing like a Superbowl team. Well maybe one little oops against Washington.. :)

They beat Dallas twice and had a very close loss against Green Bay in game 13.

The Giants seem to be peaking at the right time. If Eli Manning can avoid the sacks, I think they will win.

gasman
01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
No dog in this fight but 27-24 Giants for the W.

William
01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
A lot will depend on which Brady shows up for the game, Tom or Greg. ;)

If only Jimi were around. We might hear a great half-time rendition of......

eippo1
01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
The Giants seem to be peaking at the right time. If Eli Manning can avoid the sacks, I think they will win.
Unfortunately for him, the Pat's D is mostly healthy again and is playing relatively well. If Manning's throwing rhythm is interrupted, I think the Giants will be in trouble.

bironi
01-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Prince wins

William
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Five hours and counting...... The Pregame started already??? :crap:

William

bikerboy337
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Don't feel too great about the game, hopefully they pull it out!

wc1934
02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Hoping the Pats go no huddle to start and keep the gmen d on the field - hoping the gmen stay in their nickle so that b jarvis green can run wild - and then surprise -85!!
Brady for his 4th = Montana

dogdriver
02-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I predict the commercials and the halftime show will stink this year.

Yeah, the commercials were a lot more fun during the Tech Boom when a bunch of 20-something billionaires were in charge of the ad money. Now, its just the standard bunch of old fart CEO's making the calls.

Chance
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Don't know. Just want to know what happened to the cat. Can't believe he's history.

Ken Robb
02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I have the half-time show muted so I'm not tortured by Madonna's "music".

Ralph
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
To me.....Madona is boring. Too skinny as well.

Bruce K
02-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I have indigestion :cool: :crap:

This game has been crazy so far

Should be a great second half

BK

rbtmcardle
02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
That Acura NSX was the sexiest thing on so far.

chuckroast
02-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Also, the only commercial to make me laugh so far. I'm also ready to vote for Clint Eastwood.

Bruce K
02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
The Kia dream commercial was pretty good

I also liked the Bud Light Rescue Dog ad

BK

1centaur
02-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I spent years lusting after the first NSX, but is was out of my price range. Now I'm going to spend years lusting after this one because it won't carry a bike.

And while I generally don't love Doritos commercials, I liked the baby slingshot version.

In terms of effectiveness, the Audi daylight headlight commercial at the start of the game delivered the message effectively. The three people in a cubicle commercial was also effectively uncomfortable but nobody thinks a little more room on a plane will make a HUGE difference to the cramped feeling, so I'd call that wasted money.

The game? Nail biter but somehow not thrilling. MVP yet to be determined, late in the 4th, which usually means they give it to the QB on the winning team.

gasman
02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
That Acura NSX was the sexiest thing on so far.

The Italian model for the Abarth Fiat 500 wasn't ?

rbtmcardle
02-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Touché ... I stand corrected, I had missed that one. Yikes, that was an incredible beauty...

robin3mj
02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, we know the Pats have this wrapped up already ( :p )

William

54ny77
02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
supposedly giants were 100:1 a month or so ago in lv sports books.

ohhhhh my oh my to those who went the wrong way selling that one!

Louis
02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
supposedly giants were 100:1 a month or so ago in lv sports books.

ohhhhh my oh my to those who went the wrong way selling that one!

I think there was a story in the NYT about this a while back. How some sports-book places were going to be rooting big-time for the Pats for that very reason.

Louis
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
So did anybody catch the “spontaneous gesture” during the half-time show?

I'd never even heard of M.I.A.

More Info (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/05/middle-finger-super-bowl-photo/) (not for those who are super-easily offended)

William
02-06-2012, 03:43 AM

Remember, I said it all depends on which Brady shows up for the game....

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/22400000/Barry-Williams-as-Greg-Brady-the-brady-bunch-22475324-640-480.jpg

:p ;) :D

William

William
02-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Clint Eastwood. :cool: Hands down.

William

soulspinner
02-06-2012, 05:11 AM

Yes she was :cool:

gemship
02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Remember, I said it all depends on which Brady shows up for the game....

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/22400000/Barry-Williams-as-Greg-Brady-the-brady-bunch-22475324-640-480.jpg

:p ;) :D

William
Yeah but there were a few times, I forget that other guy's name on the Pats. Anyways there were a couple passes Brady threw at times that should of been caught. Pats defense could of dug deeper. The Giants really were just that much better, they dug deeper.

Madonna sucked. I liked the Clint commercial OK but the polar bears had me laughing more and those weren't even the funny commercials, oh wait those Chevy truck guys surviving the worlds end was pretty funny and I was in the mood to laugh.

Great game. Giants deserved it and I'm just like I am here as in real life. Living in Ma. it would of been great to see the Pats win, great for so many other reasons too but on the other hand. The game was over hyped by the media, Brady is too much of a pretty boy to me and I know all these guys that live for this stuff, it's their religion. Kind of nice to see some drama and bleeding. I know I'm sick :p

gemship
02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Yes she was :cool:

Hey I had seen that commercial before, that was a new/old commercial. There were a few of those new/old ones and there was that planet fitness gym lift things up put them down one. :confused: What I can't understand is why not more new commercials?

Chance
02-06-2012, 09:20 AM
The game? Nail biter but somehow not thrilling.
Felt the same way. For me it was a little too much like watching a rerun of a favorite TV episode. It was still very good but there was no excitement surrounding the game itself. Don’t really know why since rematches are generally more interesting to me because we get to see how each side adapted.

My only comment (or question really) is whether the NFL is over promoting the game to such a high level that it’s impossible to deliver. It seemed like 48 hours of hype that no football game can deliver the goods on. And for me it wasn’t as bad because much of the pregame programming was skipped. The whole experience bordered on oversaturation.

If they don’t cut back on the excessive BS it would not surprise me at all if they do themselves more harm than good in the long run.

gemship
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Felt the same way. For me it was a little too much like watching a rerun of a favorite TV episode. It was still very good but there was no excitement surrounding the game itself. Don’t really know why since rematches are generally more interesting to me because we get to see how each side adapted.

My only comment (or question really) is whether the NFL is over promoting the game to such a high level that it’s impossible to deliver. It seemed like 48 hours of hype that no football game can deliver the goods on. And for me it wasn’t as bad because much of the pregame programming was skipped. The whole experience bordered on oversaturation.

If they don’t cut back on the excessive BS it would not surprise me at all if they do themselves more harm than good in the long run.

oh I don't know, there are a lot of diehard football fans out there and they need their games but know what you're saying. 48 hours? Ever since the Pats won against Denver,living here in Ma. we were getting pummeled morning, noon and night with superbowl hype on any given news show. Glad it's over and like you I didn't watch any tv until twenty minutes prior to game time.

bikerboy337
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Ugh... not again... :crap:

Twice in four years is too much for me...

Go Bruins!

Chance
02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Just saying too much exposure can dilute a brand. :beer:

And in the end it's just a game between two imperfect teams which can be overshadowed by the media, movie stars, halftime show hype, and so on. In building up "the super bowl event" too much they risk diminishing the importance of the game itself.

torquer
02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Clint Eastwood. :cool: Hands down.
William
I was going to start a whole new thread on the commercials, but since that ball is already rollin' here:
Best (tie): Fiat Arbath (hope it helps the brand) and Bud Light "WeGo", the rescue dog (because it promotes adoption of shelter pets, and was funny, too, especially for an ad for a meh beer.)

Questionable (content): Audi, the vampire killer. Who was the audience for this? Kids who see the vampire flicks aren't buyin' Audis, and their parents, who are, have better things to worry about.

Questionable (taste): Chevy trucks, post-apocolypse. I suppose there was an attempt at humor, when they asked about a missing mate, who didn't survive because he drove the wrong brand truck. The twinkies were funny, though.

firerescuefin
02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Eli looks way too young to be Tom's dad :rolleyes:

tuxbailey
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM

She (http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Catrinel+Menghia) is really not an Italian. But I digress.

gasman
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
She (http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Catrinel+Menghia) is really not an Italian. But I digress.

Romanian, interesting but she is beautiful in any language.

Sheldon4209
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
You talk about Super Bowl exposure. I live in Indy and have not watched the news in weeks because it is all Super Bowl.

beungood
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
It's Giselle's fault. Ever since she made Brady carry that damn murse hes not played as good. She stole his mojo!

Louis
02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
She stole his mojo!

She can have my mojo any day she likes.