PDA

View Full Version : Why do you Rando

firerescuefin
01-30-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't...really ignorant regarding the cuture...but see it's a large subculture on this site as well as in general.

How did you get into it...and what appeals to you/keeps you coming back

firerescuefin
01-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Apparently no one "Randos" or they're all out "Randoing" :rolleyes:

cricket....cricket....cricket

modernfuturist
01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I always had an affinity for touring bikes. When I was in college, long breaks and vacations and no job prospects allowed me to take weeks off and go touring. So naturally I built up a touring bike with a vintage aesthetic.

After I graduated, I started the whole 9-5 and found less time to realistically go on week long tours and such, but I still appreciated the vintage touring aesthetic, the upright position, etc. My friend told me about randonneuring and I was interested so I registered for a night time 200k. I had battery lights and a touring bike, but I saw other randonneuring setups and naturally I was hooked. I eventually sold my road bike to fund a randonneuring type build.

I really appreciate the integrated aspects of the bike, and the whole culture of randonneur rides. The people are very friendly and there is this positive attitude that is projected by everyone at the events.

Right now I've only tackled 200k's but I'm looking to try a 300k in the near future.

BCS
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Ok, I'll bite.

I enjoy the camaraderie and the required self-sufficiency that is necessary.

I am too slow to podium in any traditional races. With randonneuring I can get a medal for finishing :banana:

It is an excuse to buy additional bicycles/components

To paraphrase Randal "Tex" Cobb: It feels so good when it stops

I actually have a love/hate relationship with these types of events. More hate lately due to sleep deprivation, lack of training, family, job, Kid's sports etc.

fourflys
01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
once the kids are out of the house and I retire from the CG I want to get into it... the lure for me is the fact it's not a race for everyone and I'd LOVE to see some of the country by bike... I guess the machismo doesn't draw me... oh, and all the cool gear... Rando bikes are freaking sweet!

so I guess I can tell you why I'd like to Rando... ;)

rudetay
01-31-2012, 11:28 AM
It's fun.

I like being on the bike all day, seeing and experiancing the stuff covering that kind of milage lets you see. Everyone I've met at events is very nice.

I kind of don't get why people always talk about randonneuring events as being some separate entity of cycling. It's just riding on the road, it's not really any different than any other day in the saddle, you just ride for longer distances sometimes. It's best not to over think it.

goonster
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I heard about PBP and resolved to do it some day, because it seemed so outlandish but also possibly fun. At this point, I was commuting to work on a basic MTB, and the longest ride I had ever done was around 20 miles.

Some time after my first 300k, on which I truly suffered, I just became hooked, and rando'ing became the standard against which all other riding is measured.

There are lots of things that appeal to me: the challenge, the meals, the cameraderie, the way it feels when it's over, breakfast the next day, etc. but it really comes down to this:

Over and over again, rando'ing pushes you to a point where it feels you can't go on. Fatigue, sleepiness, exhaustion, boredom, tendinitis, hypoglycemic despair, whatever . . . it takes many shapes and can come on unexpectedly. Going to that place, and experiencing the recovery after a nap and a meal, is magic to me. That's why I rando.

firerescuefin
01-31-2012, 12:08 PM
I want to thank everyone for their replies.

This forum, through the reading of peoples' experiences and viewing their affinities for different types equipment has changed my tastes for adventure and bikes.

I came into the sport on the competition side, but have grown to appreciate so many other aspects.

Please keep the replies coming if you have something to share. The replies so far have been exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear :beer:

bambam
01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
When I got into biking I was imediately hooked.
When I got into better shape I worked up to 60 milers then centurys.
I really enjoyed all the ground you could cover and the sights you would see on the backroads.

In 2005 I noticed a rider wearing a 2003 PBP jersey.
I said how far is 1200 K? Response: 750 miles
Wow, How long did that take, a week? Response: No,less than 90 hours
He later told me a story about a Farmer and his four year old daughter in the french countryside swinging a lantern around 2 or 4 o'clock in the morning just so riders wouldn't miss a turn and I thought, Wow, this is something I got to try.
So, I like Challenging myself, seeing the sights, exploring new roads, friendly people and food. Brevets were just the ticket.

Its not for everybody but if you do centuries whats another 26 miles then just add another 62 and so on.

I wish I had enough time/vacation to ride across the country but right now I just don't with work and all. And right now training for a brevet is close to my normal riding routine anyway.

My 2 cents,
Ride Safe,
BamBam

jr59
01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Because I can.

To me it's just a long bike ride and normally that's what I like to do.

I could care less about all the patches and pins.
I just like to ride my bike, and to me, the ride starts at 100 miles.

Not the Slowest
01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
It doesn't matter whether you are fast or slow, young or old.
The goal is to complete the ride at YOUR pace but of course within the time frame of the event.
People stopping to help and sharing tips, equipment to total strangers but all with the same goal to simply finish.

On a 200K before the PBP in 2010 (I did not go) I road along with a rider who you could say was the spitting image of the guys from ZZ Top, but about a foot shorter and a longer beard. When we started a 2 mile decent I let him go ahead of me and just laughed hysterically as his beard whipped around his neck and just swirled in the wind a foot behind him.

200, 300 or 400k are all challenges but I am in awe of those able to go 600-800 or 1000. My butt cries thinking about it and my head spins from the thought of doing this on minimal sleep.

Hoping to do a few more this year if time allows.

goonster
01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
I road along with a rider who you could say was the spitting image of the guys from ZZ Top, but about a foot shorter and a longer beard. When we started a 2 mile decent I let him go ahead of me and just laughed hysterically as his beard whipped around his neck and just swirled in the wind a foot behind him.
Mr. Olsen: best beard in cycling.

wooly
01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
once the kids are out of the house and I retire from the CG I want to get into it... the lure for me is the fact it's not a race for everyone and I'd LOVE to see some of the country by bike... I guess the machismo doesn't draw me... oh, and all the cool gear... Rando bikes are freaking sweet!

so I guess I can tell you why I'd like to Rando... ;)

I'm in the same position.

ctbiker
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm at the very beginning of randonneuring. Do they still use the word tyro? I truly don't think I could do more than a 400k since sleep deprivation for me is about the utmost torture imaginable. I've done double centuries and enjoyed them and I really enjoy riding in the dark with good lights.

I just ordered a Dean rando bike (http://www.deanbikes.com/Randonneur/rando.htm). After 40+ years of cycling, I'm definitely into comfort now and rando bikes are definitely about comfortable speed/distance.

I'm at the stage of (thinking about) randonneuring that I look at the 1200k riders as gods.

Ray in CT

palincss
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
There are randonneurs who are perfectly happy not doing the longest distances.

R2D2
01-31-2012, 03:56 PM
I've riden since I was young with my brothers.
There was no organized racing in the early 70's in the south.
But we had fun on long jaunts.
I raced some in the 80's.
Then work with travel got in the way.
When I started to ride again my younger brother got me into Rando.
And PBP was a goal. But some internal surgeries got in the way.
But I made it last fall. I road evey last kilometer but due to mistakes and less than great form I didn't make it in 90 hours.
C'est la vie.
I still have wonderful memories and experiences.

Rando can be anything you want. You can just ride 100K permanents or 200K or any distance you want. I like the group I ride with. There are always stories and jokes and meals together. Kind of like the Canterbury Tales at times.
You can talk all the "hardman" stuff you want but these guys actually do it.
And they don't say much about epic they just go do it.
It keeps me grounded so I don't spin off into some kind of haze.
But mostly my wife says I'm in a better mood .....

Larry
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
It's the wonderful feeling of freedom...... the body, bike, road and nature are all connected as one.

roydyates
02-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Mr. Olsen: best beard in cycling.
LOL I agree it absolutely has to be Bob Olsen. :) Even though Not the Slowest doesn't reveal his location, nor give a clue where in the world he does his randonneuring, goonster and I are certain it's Bob Olsen. That's the power of his beard!

roydyates
02-01-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm at the very beginning of randonneuring. Do they still use the word tyro? I truly don't think I could do more than a 400k since sleep deprivation for me is about the utmost torture imaginable. I've done double centuries and enjoyed them and I really enjoy riding in the dark with good lights.

I just ordered a Dean rando bike (http://www.deanbikes.com/Randonneur/rando.htm). After 40+ years of cycling, I'm definitely into comfort now and rando bikes are definitely about comfortable speed/distance.

I'm at the stage of (thinking about) randonneuring that I look at the 1200k riders as gods.

Ray in CT
What's a tyro? The online dictionaries define it as a beginner in learning or a novice. The modern word for kids would be newbie or newb. Is that how old school randonneurs used it, as an antonym for ancien?

In any case, sleep deprivation is the dark side of randonneuring. Although I suppose it also arises in other ultra sports, it's particularly insidious and dangerous on a bike. After 24+ hours of riding, it's surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly?) easy to fall asleep while riding.

roydyates
02-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Most of my reasons (physical and logistical challenges, scenery, friends, general bike riding fun) for randonneuring have already been mentioned. But one good reason that seems to have gone unmentioned is that randonneuring can introduce you to really nice new routes and new roads. A brevet organizer spends a LOT of designing a safe and scenic route. All randonneurs then get the benefit of that effort. If you go on a brevet, you are generally guaranteed and awesome ride.

Perhaps in other parts of the country, riders can take good routes for granted. Here in the Northeast, there are lots of road choices and it's not always easy to identify the really nice routes.

R2D2
02-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Most of my reasons (physical and logistical challenges, scenery, friends, general bike riding fun) for randonneuring have already been mentioned. But one good reason that seems to have gone unmentioned is that randonneuring can introduce you to really nice new routes and new roads. A brevet organizer spends a LOT of designing a safe and scenic route. All randonneurs then get the benefit of that effort. If you go on a brevet, you are generally guaranteed and awesome ride.

Perhaps in other parts of the country, riders can take good routes for granted. Here in the Northeast, there are lots of road choices and it's not always easy to identify the really nice routes.

+1 Routes. I never knew NJ had some beautiful countryside until a road a Brevet up there.

d.vader123
02-01-2012, 08:51 AM
In any case, sleep deprivation is the dark side of randonneuring. Although I suppose it also arises in other ultra sports, it's particularly insidious and dangerous on a bike. After 24+ hours of riding, it's surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly?) easy to fall asleep while riding.
I wonder then if randonneuring can be broken down into stages like the TdF. Finishing the 1200K PBP in 90 hours would not be done in one shot, but rather have the first 600K be finished in 45 hours and the next 600K be finished in 45 hours. Riders would have a day's break in between to sleep and rest.

fiamme red
02-01-2012, 08:56 AM
I wonder then if randonneuring can be broken down into stages like the TdF. Finishing the 1200K PBP in 90 hours would not be done in one shot, but rather have the first 600K be finished in 45 hours and the next 600K be finished in 45 hours. Riders would have a day's break in between to sleep and rest.Then you have two 600's, not a 1200. Different beasts. :)

rudetay
02-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I wonder then if randonneuring can be broken down into stages like the TdF. Finishing the 1200K PBP in 90 hours would not be done in one shot, but rather have the first 600K be finished in 45 hours and the next 600K be finished in 45 hours. Riders would have a day's break in between to sleep and rest.

Well, it would't be an ACP 1200k then, but you could totally do that. You can do whatever you want with the time total. I've done 600ks where I slept for ~5 hours in the middle and woke up refreshed and ready. Most PBP riders stop for sleep on two occasions.

But, if you're talking about just splitting a 1200k into two 600k rides, you'd have to ride pretty fast to achieve that within 90hrs total, although some certainly could! There are clubs that do a "Hell Week" or something like that where they'll offer a 200, 300, 400, and 600 in the period of a week so that people who want to can bang out a full SR ASAP.

rudetay
02-01-2012, 09:11 AM
LOL I agree it absolutely has to be Bob Olsen. :) Even though Not the Slowest doesn't reveal his location, nor give a clue where in the world he does his randonneuring, goonster and I are certain it's Bob Olsen. That's the power of his beard!

Met this guy in France, and I have to agree.

goonster
02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
You can do whatever you want with the time total. I've done 600ks where I slept for ~5 hours in the middle and woke up refreshed and ready.
People unfamiliar with the rules should know that brevet control points have closing times based on a minimum pace formula. If you want to take an extended break, you have build up a time cushion such that you can still get to the next control before it closes.

bambam
02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
If you would like to know more check out.

http://www.rusa.org/

If you live in the us and want to pursue the adventure this is where it starts.
They will have schedules for all states for distances if 100k to 1200k.

firerescuefin
02-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the post...Definitely makes me want to look into it more. Tastes certainly change/refine over time. I had a Fire Chief who is still a good friend of mine that said I had "young man's disease" when I was in my mid 20's (know it all)...didn't get it then...I get it now.