PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake levers

sevencyclist
01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I am wondering whether the disc brake levers are ever interchangeable? I would like to have longer brake levers than the current Shimano XT 785 offering. Any potential for change? Or is it a closed system so that it is impossible?

Both of the brakes I like (Shimano and Formula) seem to be pretty short on the levers. Any suggestions?

gdw
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Straitine Componets makes aftermarket levers for the older Shimanos. http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/Products/Upgrade_Levers.aspx
Send them an email and see if they have or plan to offer a replacemant for the newest model.

sevencyclist
01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Straitine Componets makes aftermarket levers for the older Shimanos. http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/Products/Upgrade_Levers.aspx
Send them an email and see if they have or plan to offer a replacemant for the newest model.
Thank you. That would be great if they have something that I can simply install without worrying about the cylinders, cables etc.

tkbike
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Give the short levers a try, I think once you try them you'll love them. I was a little skeptical of them at first, but since you only use one or two fingers for braking a longer lever makes no sense.

crownjewelwl
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
You only need 1 finger on the formula...

Hydraulics are much different than cable pull!

sevencyclist
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Checked with Straitline and he is out of lever market for now. Will have to try stock length and see.

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I wanted a longer lever is to have the brake lever mounted inward so I can accomodate a Rohloff grip shift while having most of my hand on the full length regular grip. If the levers are short, then my hand would be on the grip shift most of the time.

pdmtong
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
RC
current gen XT/XTR are designed for one finger. your implementation clearly a corner case.

rohloff...I like it. this is going to be quite the CC tourer. dont stop there...make it a gates belt too.

gdw
01-31-2012, 10:08 AM
You should be ok with the stock XT levers and Rolhoff's shifter. It's a short barrel design and can be run with a short grip without fear of accidental shifts since most of the pressure you exert on the bar while riding is on the outside fleshy part of your palm. Very little weight is on the area below your index and middle fingers where your hand contacts the shifter.