PDA

View Full Version : Frame Saver

mdeeds71
08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Need some insights on how and where on a Colorado frame that is already built...as well as what to use.

Thanks

dsimon
08-14-2005, 11:19 PM
J.P.Weigles Frame saver strip the whole bike down to frame only.and go at it.

Dekonick
08-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Too Tall also had a link to special drill bit's used to clean the inside of your tubes before you use frame saver.

Last frame I did I just used boiled linseed oil (couldn't find any framesaver and didn't want to wait for UPS) which is the same thing without the easy to apply can. Just tape up all holes, pour a cup or so in your tubes, slosh it around and let it drain for a few days. Worked fine for me.

I wish I had that link TT posted for those bits...

Too Tall
08-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Go nuts with the weigel's. I use about 1/3 can per frame. It goes EVERYWHERE you can spray.

Here is the flex hone link:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=712791898875&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Flex%20Hones&tc=&item_id=BM-BC25.4

You do not need to Flex hone a seat tube unless it is really hosed up. The (above) link is for a std. steel bike. There are other hones for aluminum and composite.

Generally, you can do a decent job of swabbing out a cruddy seat tube with a dowel rod cotton rag and some B-blaster or WD-40. Light surface oxidation is not a good reason to use a hone.

F.Y.I. using generous amts. of hone oil and a quick hand is important as it will develop of heat quickly.

mdeeds71
08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Appreciate the info...

I have used the linseed oil on aircraft frames...only approved method on a few...One thing I noticed on my frame is that the holes for the TT are really only about 1/4 to 1/2 " in size this spraying might not be able to cover it...but the linseed oil will...also I cannot find any access to the seat stays...only the chain stay...the frame is relatively clean inside but since it is in HUMidhouston I need to get it done...

Mark

Too Tall
08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Dewd, the Wiegels is very nice for your situation as the spray will "mist" the tubes. The stuff will get in there. On your seatstays look for a tiny vent hole, it might be covered partially by paint. You can usually get a small spray tube in there.

Dekonick
08-15-2005, 01:34 PM
also - FYI -

Linseed oil is messy. It will splatter all over the ground... you will find little holes you thought you had blocked etc...

Do it over a bunch of newspaper and flip the frame around to ensure it coats the entire inside of each tube. Let it drain and air dry for several days before you build it up.

oh; and it smells like Sheit so try to do it away from your 'living' area...

Peter
08-15-2005, 09:08 PM
For the picky, Framesaver is cosmoline, not linseed oil. It's benefit is the aerosol applicator makes it very convenient to use. Even if you spent the entire can on ONE frame, it is still a bargain.

My tips: Do it outside or on a concrete floor, not on a floor surface you value.

Do the seat tube first to observe how the liquid behaves; you'll get an idea how much you need to cover a tube, and how to rotate the frame for full coverage.

Let the frame rest on newspapers while setting up, to catch the weepage.

Clean up overflow with WD-40 immediately, and check again in several hours; the drier it gets, the nastier it is to remove.

Frank
08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I put the frame in the bike stand and, for example, start with the top tube.
I have the bike level and put a rag in one end of the top tube (headtube end
first for example). I then spray into the top tube from the seattube end.
Then I take the rag out and put it into the seattube end of the top tube. I
then spray into the top tube from the headtube end. I then put a rag in each
end of the top tube, take the frame out of the stand, and "roll" the frame
around as if I was trying to coat the entire inside of the top tube...which
I am!

After that, I put the frame back in the stand and I stuff a rag in each end
of the top tube, in the bottom bracket shell, and at the bottom of the
headtube. I then spray the seat tube and head tube and down tube and let the bike sit til the spray is not running anymore.

I then tilt the bike with the rear of the bike pointing down. I spray into
the chainstays and into the seat stays if I can, plus the downtube. I spray
the fork steerer while I am waiting for this to dry some (rag in bottom of
fork crown).

Finally, I put a rag on one side of the bb shell and spray the bb shell
inside from the other side.

I think the main source of rust is some water getting in during a ride and
not being able to exit the bottom bracket if there is no drain hole. Even on
bikes without it I now drill a small hole at the lowest point of the bb
shell to let water drain out.

Too Tall
08-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Peter, good info.! Cosmoline...I knew the smell was strangely familiar.

Michael Maddox
08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Peter, good info.! Cosmoline...I knew the smell was strangely familiar.

Why? Been buying SKS rifles in bulk from China again? :)

Funny, but we always tried to make sure all the Cosmoline was gone from our stuff. Never thought I'd be putting the stuff ON anything.

For the uninitiated like myself, how much weight does the application of FrameSaver add to the bike? The local weight weenies are all pooh-poohing my insistence that it's good stuff, saying, "...and add all those grams!? No way!" Of course, these are carbon junkies, so what do they know?

Too Tall
08-16-2005, 09:45 AM
The first time I ever smelled cosmoline was a M-16 fresh from storage after who knows how long....still had to slam it on the ground to eject stuck casings. A rude gun to be sure. Mmmm cosmoline and cordite mmmmmm.

Grams! OMG you must be joking, no you aren't are you? I'll mow my own lawn if it amts to more than a few grams after drying...if that.

e-RICHIE
08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
The local weight weenies are all pooh-poohing my insistence that it's good stuff, saying, "...and add all those grams!? No way!"

do those guys race, or just lift?
i use 2 passes of framesaver in all my frames.
e-RICHIE©™®