PDA

View Full Version : Lighting options for a rando frame

SamIAm
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
I have a rando frame under construction at the moment. It is a Weigle and I know it borders on sacrilege to consider non-dyno light options, but I rarely ride more than 4 hours in the dark and I am looking for some led options.

The rack will include a mount for an edelux light and I have a front wheel with the dynohub if I need to go without battery power, but I know that will be the vast minority of the time.

I am looking for a battery powered, led light (preferably self contained) with plenty of power (minimum of 400 lumens), 4 hour run time and hopefully not look to out of sorts with the bicycle.

Any ideas?

saab2000
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
This is my next battery light. Self-contained and relatively compact.

http://www.bikelights.com/urban500.html

http://www.bikelights.com/shots/urban5_1.jpg

fiamme red
01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Supernova Airstream.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/supernovabat.asp

palincss
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Can you think of one real disadvantage to using the generator hub and the Edelux? I can think of one for the battery light: the need to charge or replace batteries. This used to drive me simply insane all the years I used such lights commuting.

And the setup you're proposing exposes you even more to charge-related problems: at least with a dedicated commuter you know you have to keep up with the charge, even though sometimes it's hard to keep accurate track. In your case, you'll seldom use the light, so it's a virtual guarantee that your batteries will be dead whenever you do need to use it. With a generator hub, the light is always there, ready to go. It doesn't need feeding and watering when you're not using it; it's simply always there, always ready.

R2D2
01-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I have a rando frame under construction at the moment. It is a Weigle and I know it borders on sacrilege to consider non-dyno light options, but I rarely ride more than 4 hours in the dark and I am looking for some led options.

The rack will include a mount for an edelux light and I have a front wheel with the dynohub if I need to go without battery power, but I know that will be the vast minority of the time.

I am looking for a battery powered, led light (preferably self contained) with plenty of power (minimum of 400 lumens), 4 hour run time and hopefully not look to out of sorts with the bicycle.

Any ideas?
There are tons of options for battery powered lights. I haven;t seen many that did mount nicely on a rack. Most mount on the handlebars which would look out of sorts on a Weigle. And Peter is knowm for his tail light mount wihich is definately Dynohub driven.
So I'm with in the "why?" camp.
Especially with the newer SON 28 or SON Deluxe.

saab2000
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm kind of with the dyno crowd here too, in spite of the battery light options. As is well known, I have a Shimano dynamo on my winter/commuter/beater single speed. I use a Supernova E3 Triple and basically it's a nice light. I'd love to also try the Edelux. But that's another story.

Fact is that I switch the light on and off and feel zero difference in how the bike rides. The drag is minute, to say the least and with the improvements in LEDs and reflector surfaces and aiming, the light output is really rather amazing.

And never worrying about the battery is nice, especially since I firmly believe you can take most manufacturers' run times with a large grain of salt. Reduce them by 20% and you're likely close to realistic.

With my Redline dyno hub I never worry about it.

SamIAm
01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
There are tons of options for battery powered lights.
But I'm with in the "why?" camp.
Especially with the newer SON 28 or SON Deluxe.
And if you are riding anything longer than 200K , why risk coming home with a dead light?

Maybe my experience with my current setup, SON-E6 has soured me. The light is so paltry compared to the battery led lights.

saab2000
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
They've come so far since that light was current.

I'd at least give another light a shot. The Edelux is a Schmidt product and gets great reviews. The Busch & Müller lights are tops too, but be sure to get the one advertised at 60 Lux instead of the 40 Lux one.

The best battery lights are brighter, but the good dyno hub ones are no joke these days.

rjfr
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Tour magazine rated dyno and battery lights. The Busch and Muller Ixon IQ Speed was rated at 8 hours 10 minutes, 3 hour charge time, external battery. Total weight 1lb.

fiamme red
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Maybe my experience with my current setup, SON-E6 has soured me. The light is so paltry compared to the battery led lights.There's a big difference between the E6 and Edelux. Look here for a comparison of their beams:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

BCS
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I have a dynohub with an edelux but will sometimes use a Light and Motion Seca 700. It is very bright. They now make an 800 lumen vesion as well as 1400. It can also be helmet (if u wear one :) ) mounted

palincss
01-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe my experience with my current setup, SON-E6 has soured me. The light is so paltry compared to the battery led lights.

The E6 is like a light saber compared to the Edelux's full wide beam. Compare like to like.

mossman
01-30-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd have Peter build your fork to be compatible with the connector-less SON hub.

R2D2
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM

The new LED lights for Dynohubs are far better. The Halogen bulbs sucked.

SamIAm
01-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Spoke with Peter, the bike will be dyno ready and have a mount for the Supernova Airstream and Edelux.

firerescuefin
01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Spoke with Peter, the bike will be dyno ready and have a mount for the Supernova Airstream and Edelux.

Rob...it's not too late to adopt me. I'll never miss fathers day...and I'll make a picture of your choice as my icon. :cool:

Ahneida Ride
01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
I see a HandleBra sale in the future !

and now you know why I am on double secret probation !

Rueda Tropical
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
I use a battery light as my distances in the dark are not that long, but if I had a dynohub, even if I only really needed it occaisionally I would not bother with the battery light.

jamesutiopia
01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I use eDelux for training, but prefer battery lights for actual events where not everyone has such bright lights. The issue is that you must be at the front if your light is dramatically brighter than everyone else's, otherwise they ride in the shadow caused by your light. If eDelux had a "low beam" option this would be moot-- the standlight is the right level of intensity, but pulsing the switch every minute or two is and impractical PITA.

For this reason I usually switch off the eDelux when riding in groups (e.g. all of PBP) and use my backup light on a low brightness. It is a single AA LED flashlight with a velcro mount that can attach to the handlebars or your helment with configurable brightness (I keep it somewhere in the lower half, because all that light just isn't necessary if you are following):

1 x AA LED flashlight (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=1917)
Velcro mount for handlebar/helmet (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=273)

Also works great for nighttime repairs and rooting around your bag for arm warmers/raingear/etc.