PDA

View Full Version : Are black spokes cool? ie when it is ok to use them?

astaft
01-30-2012, 09:10 AM
I just picked up some Record silver (10s) hubs and am going to build some wheels (now thinking DT 465 or 415s). I was thinking that black spokes would look pretty cool with silver rims, although pricing shows that they should be ~66% cooler than silver spokes. So I guess my question is, what is traditional spoke color etiquette? ie black hubs and black rims always have to have black spokes? I assume it is against the rules to have black hubs, black spokes and silver rims? Maybe a flowchart is needed.

FWIW these will be going on a Merlin with campy record 10 and black bar tape.

Andrew

AngryScientist
01-30-2012, 09:12 AM
it must be winter...

my take is that black spokes look good on modern, racy looking bikes. silver spokes for more traditional looking machines, like the one you describe.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I just picked up some Record silver (10s) hubs and am going to build some wheels (now thinking DT 465 or 415s). I was thinking that black spokes would look pretty cool with silver rims, although pricing shows that they should be ~66% cooler than silver spokes. So I guess my question is, what is traditional spoke color etiquette? ie black hubs and black rims always have to have black spokes? I assume it is against the rules to have black hubs, black spokes and silver rims? Maybe a flowchart is needed.

FWIW these will be going on a Merlin with campy record 10 and black bar tape.

Andrew

black 66% more expensive than silver? Gotta raise my spoke prices again, I guess.

I think silver hub-silver spokes, silver rim. Or maybe black rim but silver spokes. Black hub, samo, I think silver spokes look better with a silver or black rim. But for those black spokes, all black OK also...

MattTuck
01-30-2012, 09:17 AM
yep, agree with AngryScientist... must be winter. I do not think I'm qualified to even post in this thread... My back and front wheel don't even match, let alone spokes/hubs in a single wheel. bontrager racelite on the front, 105 laced to open sports in the back. wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!

Check out ergott's site, he has many build pictures. I think they all look pretty damn sexy.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/Wheels/16809464_h4G2Vc#!i=1687685606&k=s5WLcmW

AngryScientist
01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!

:banana:

jr59
01-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Who cares what is cool? That's just silly! Use what you think you will like. You are the one who has to ride them!

Fixed
01-30-2012, 09:26 AM
cool for black ops. cyclist
cheers imho

astaft
01-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Another question (haven't built a wheelset in a few years)... What is with the new DT prolock nipples? Just a fad?

classtimesailer
01-30-2012, 09:37 AM
If your Record 10 is silver, go all silver with your Merlin. OR save those hubs and get black hubs to go with your DT rims.

Jaq
01-30-2012, 09:41 AM
You can also mix & match. There are a couple web-sites with BMPs of blank wheels in 28, 32, and 36 hole varieties. Failing that, some blank paper and a compass would do, even a salad plate and a silver dollar.

Draw up your lacing pattern with silver spokes, toss in a few black spokes, see what you think.

Or, if you've got a wheel with silver spokes now, hit it with a black sharpie or some gloss-black acrylic paint from the local art-supply store.

I've seen a lot of guys on all-black carbons with a few silver spokes tossed in; the effect is very cool.

Here's a site with blank wheel BMPs for lacing patterns (http://spokeanwheel.110mb.com/lacingcl.htm#yocp). About halfway down the page is a "Select Here to Download the Files" link that'll download a zip. It contains BMPs of 24, 28, 32, 36, and even a 48-spoke wheel.

Fair warning: fooling around with lacing patterns is very, very addicting. You were warned.

MattTuck
01-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Who cares what is cool? That's just silly! Use what you think you will like. You are the one who has to ride them!

To be fair, when he rides, he doesn't have to look at the wheels, he just sees the tire straight on. other cyclists do see the whole build... so I respect that he's seeking our advice, in case we see him on the road, we can be pleased with out suggestions. For more flash, I'd go with a rainbow of alloy nipple colors. :cool:

Bob Loblaw
01-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Depends on the bike more than the rims and hubs, IMO. The color of the spokes should echo other colors on the bike. If you have polished metal stem, calipers, seatpost and cranks, go silver spokes. If you ride polished Ti, silver spokes almost always look better than black. If you have black lettering on a Ti frame, you could do black spokes then.

Most carbon bikes want black spokes because there's so little actual metal on them, and what metal there is doesn't look like metal. If the only shiny bits of your bike are the spokes, it will look odd.

Caveat: I am color blind and have no sense of style. :o

BL

sc53
01-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Wow, can't believe you posted this! I have been debating the exact same issue! Glad you took the flak for frivolousness, though. FWIW I am building up a set of HED Belgium rims with White Industries hubs, so I have to decide on black or polished silver hubs, PLUS spoke color, PLUS nip color(s)! I haven't yet seen the HEDs except in small images online so I will make my other decisions once the rims arrive this week. Thinking silver hubs and spokes with black or red nips though. Or even--alternating black and red nips! I saw this on a bike on a ride this weekend (on older red Open Pro rims) and the effect was cool!

54ny77
01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice thing about back spokes is they hide dirt. Combined w black rims, that means low cosmetic maintenance, if you care about such things.

Lionel
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Maybe a flowchart is needed.

Silver hubs, silver spokes
black hubs, black spokes

Simple

velotel
01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
On cold days for sure, on hot days probably not, unless you're moving, in that case they probably stay cool. Then again pretty minimal surface area.

astaft
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
How does this look? Feel free to add in tire colors (maybe a subheading for tread vs sidewalls?)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2iggnk3.png

fiamme red
01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Black spokes should only be used between Labor Day and Memorial Day. :)

tiretrax
01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Never silver hub, black spoke, silver rim; nor black hub, silver spoke, black rim.

rugbysecondrow
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, black is cool. Black is always cool. One caveat, unless you are not bad ass enough to pull it off, which is uncool.

Dekonick
01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
You MUST have a clothing pin holding a card in the spokes.

pitcrew
01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
How does this look? Feel free to add in tire colors (maybe a subheading for tread vs sidewalls?)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2iggnk3.png

What about 9/10/11 speed? Need to add that to the chart ;)

gospastic
01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I am a big fan of black spokes, silver rims. Although it seems hard to find all silver rims nowadays. My training wheelset is black hub, black spokes, black nipples, silver rim. I dig it.

Bruce K
01-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I thought it was silver spokes after Easter and before Labor Day and black spokes after Labor Day through the winter until Easter

But I've never been known as a fashionista :crap:

BK

sc53
01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Need to add cassette and chain color to the flowchart.

Bob Ross
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Silver hubs, silver spokes
black hubs, black spokes

Simple

Uh...

One of my bikes has white hubs.
Another has red hubs.

Now what?

Joachim
01-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Tire color (besides black, tan sidewalls or Vittoria Pave's) is going a bit too far for me. It hardly ever turns out looking good.

Seramount
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM

fyi, this what we do here on the forum, discuss various topics. you know, things like what people think of black spokes.

what's silly is your attempt to stifle the conversation.

Bruce K
01-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Welcome to winter on the forum

Even with no snow in the northeast, cabin fever is setting in

BK

Dekonick
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Uh...

Another has red hubs.

Now what?

Paint your bike blue!

oldpotatoe
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Uh...

Another has red hubs.

Now what?

Need some wheels with blue hubs.....

ringcycles
01-31-2012, 06:03 AM
Alternate spoke colors. Heck make it a rainbow. Just build what you like and make sure the spokes on the front wheel and back wheel are the same color if you're picky. Won't make you any faster though

Elefantino
01-31-2012, 06:30 AM
If you use black spokes with silver hubs, the pawl carriers will reassess according to the overlap. Because tension is not a constant, rotating mass releases outward, resulting in dish that separates by the absolute.

Naturally, this means more dynamic frequency at certain angles. Depending on your speed, it also could alter the harmonic catalysts and cause uneven torsion. Releasing the measurable adds to the convergence.

If you use silver spokes with black hubs, everything is reversed.

bicycletricycle
01-31-2012, 07:07 AM
black spokes look terrible on silver hubs

DG24
01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Ceramic rim, silver spokes, black hub (from the Custom Section) doesn't look too bad

Seramount
01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
black spokes look terrible on silver hubs

using black spokes on black Mavic OP rims and silver DA hubs.

bike gets a fair amount of positive comments...never had anyone say it's a fashion disaster.