PDA

View Full Version : TT Bike

norcalbiker
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Why would one individual buy or own a TT Bike when you don't race or even do a half iron man? Is there other use for a TT bike besides what mentioned above? Any here have one one and do not race? If you do, what do you use it for?

firerescuefin
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Likes to collect bikes.....Super Fred who has a man crush on Fabian C.

They're very effective doing what they do (TT or Tri-leg)...outside of that, 0 reason to just be "sporting one".

Bruce K
01-29-2012, 04:39 PM
When you say don't race, do you mean professionally? Amateur (sanctioned events)?

What about local cycling club TT series events?

Our race club hosts a 7 race Individual TT series and two Team TTs each season

Almost everyone (50-60 riders per event) owns some form of TT bike ranging from just adding clip on aero bars to aero frames, disc wheels, aero helmets, etc

Some of the more serious folks who race beyond this series have gone to the local wind tunnel (not MIT) for fit adjustment

BK

rugbysecondrow
01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Not sure, unless they just like having one and trying to go fast for their own fun. Personally, I use my triathlon bike for races, some roller workouts and for about one week prior to a race just to get a good feel for it. Otherwise, I would rather be on something else.

oliver1850
01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I still have one, but haven't raced in 10 years. One reason is, old ones aren't worth much. If I wanted to haul it 35 miles to the local Wednesday night TT, that would be the best use for it, but I hate driving, especially to facilitate a bike ride. So last year it got ridden but once.

cp43
01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I have one that I use for Olympic distance triathlons. I did my first one on my road bike, and was very uncomfortable at the end of the bike. A TT bike makes a big difference in comfort for me over the 40k of the bike leg.

I would agree though, that if you aren't doing road time trials or a triathlon, it doesn't make much sense to get a TT bike.

That being said, if someone wants to get a TT bike and not race it, that's fine with me. As long as they aren't riding on the aero bars in a pace line I'm a part of.

Chris

norcalbiker
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
When you say don't race, do you mean professionally? Amateur (sanctioned events)?

What about local cycling club TT series events?

Our race club hosts a 7 race Individual TT series and two Team TTs each season

Almost everyone (50-60 riders per event) owns some form of TT bike ranging from just adding clip on aero bars to aero frames, disc wheels, aero helmets, etc

Some of the more serious folks who race beyond this series have gone to the local wind tunnel (not MIT) for fit adjustment

BK

No not even club racing

Bruce K
01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Then I wouldn't 't own one if I didn't race it

I also train on mine once each week during our "season" (as previously said) to get used to the fit

BK

Andrewlcox
01-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I had an aluminum Cervelo P3 with Zipp disc rear and 404 front. I bought it for triathlons and weekly TT in my hometown. It shaved 7 minutes off my 20km vs. my Trek 7.5 hybrid.

Once I achieved my goals as a triathlete and couldn't go any faster at the TT, I sold it.

verticaldoug
01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Why would one individual buy or own a TT Bike when you don't race or even do a half iron man? Is there other use for ai TT bike besides what mentioned above? Any here have one one and do not race? If you do, what do you use it for?

I know an older guy who likes to ride long distances solo. He prefers the TT bike to just get aero and pedal. If I lived someplace more rural with flat roads, I'd probably prefer a TT bike myself.

tiretrax
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I think the RAAM riders use TT bikes (aero bars at the least), so long distance riding?

bargainguy
01-29-2012, 11:39 PM
To look like they're going fast even if they're not.

Don

bicycletricycle
01-29-2012, 11:45 PM
bike paths.

Chance
01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Why would one individual buy or own a TT Bike when you don't race or even do a half iron man?
Because they can.
To be, do, or have something different.
To draw attention.
To cycle faster or with less effort.
To push equipment boundaries.
To break up monotony.

No limit to why riders get the hardware they do. It can just be want versus need. If they have the extra dollars why not? :beer:

norcalbiker
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Because they can.
To be, do, or have something different.
To draw attention.
To cycle faster or with less effort.
To push equipment boundaries.
To break up monotony.

No limit to why riders get the hardware they do. It can just be want versus need. If they have the extra dollars why not? :beer:

I hear you loud and clear.