PDA

View Full Version : OT: fire place firebacks

Smiley
01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
OK just had the stack cleaned or sweeped today and the guy tells me to install a fireback. This is cast iron or SST to reflect heat off the back walls of the fireplace and radiate back into the room. Anybody use these and what do you reccomend. Thanks

4Rings6Stars
01-28-2012, 05:26 PM
OK just had the stack cleaned or sweeped today and the guy tells me to install a fireback. This is cast iron or SST to reflect heat off the back walls of the fireplace and radiate back into the room. Anybody use these and what do you reccomend. Thanks

We use thick steel plate in my house but I can't say it reflects better than without because it's been in there since the fireplace was built... It makes sense that it would though, and unless the guy who recommended it was also trying to sell you one, I would take his word for it.

We don't necessarily use the fireplace for heat because it sucks more heat up the chimney than it puts out into the house unless there is a constantly stoked, roaring fire going. We only use the fireplace when we're entertaining or on holidays...etc. Most of our heat comes from soapstone wood stoves.

gdw
01-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I rented an old cottage one winter in college which had one and wasn't impressed. There are better options if you want to use your fireplace to help heat the room or house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/28/realestate/your-home-putting-a-fireplace-to-work.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

cdimattio
01-28-2012, 06:28 PM
We have a large cast Iron fireback. I am not sure of the energy efficiency, but there is significant radiant heat after the fire dies down. Ours is decorative and appealing.

With or without the radiant addition, fireplaces are not efficient in any way. Traditional fireplaces draw excessive amounts of heated room air for combustion, then send it straight up the chimney.

The solution for efficiency is some type of insert which will both manage combustion air flow and enhance radiant heat transfer to the home. Unfortunately the typical glass doors detract from the fireplace aesthetic experience.

astaft
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Has anybody ever installed a woodburning fireplace insert with a blower to blow the hot air out?

verticaldoug
01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
I installed a Vermont Castings Fireplace insert (non-catalytic) in 2000 at a house in the mountains. The blower helps although it is not the most robust. I have a large ceiling fan in the main room which circulates air. I like it because it is cleaner than the fireplace. Also it you have one that extends out, you get more heating area than a fireplace.

The catalytic fireplaces look interesting, but lifespan seems too short to be worthwhile. Although I find the Sequoia model to be really sharp. . .

don'TreadOnMe
01-29-2012, 03:52 PM
1.5 months ago, we had a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert installed in our existing fireplace. Wood burning, up to 22" pieces. Big glass door...
Well, this thing kicks @55. It's got a blower, and puts out 70,000 or so BTU's.
Amazing, can't recommend them enough.

zap
01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
:) , fireplace insert. Forget everything else.

We had a Jotul with a 2 speed blower installed last year and it's been great.

Hearthstone is nice too. We looked at it but can't remember why we got the Jotul instead. Maybe the design of the cast iron surround.

Anyhow smiles, you know where you can check it out.

Louis
01-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Get a real wood stove instead of the fireplace.

http://www.lopistoves.com/images/images_Numbered/Medium/104345.jpg

SEABREEZE
01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
From what I read, perhaps a pellet buring stove insert is the way to go. Havn't done any research on it, so not quite sure of the expense of the pellets vs wood .
Suppose to be much cleaner from an enviromental standpoint.

rockdude
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a very large Avalon Olympus insert that heats our whole house from the basement. It takes about 2 hours for the heat to get throughout the house.

tiretrax
01-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Go Amish.

DfCas
01-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Has anybody ever installed a woodburning fireplace insert with a blower to blow the hot air out?

I put a triple wall insert with a blower in a fireplace opening years back. It used 1/3 as much wood and seemed to produce about 10 times as much heat. It heated the whole house no problem.

Just make sure you leave good access to clean the chimney and a way to remove the soot.