PDA

View Full Version : Natural chamois pads in shorts?

stickville
01-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Are there any shorts out there that are made with a natural chamois pad (cotton or sheepskin or merino wool)?

tiretrax
01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
try the bike shop in durango that sells woolistic. they have replica wool shorts. i don't know if they have a real chamois, but i would (hope) think so.

thinpin
01-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Are there any shorts out there that are made with a natural chamois pad (cotton or sheepskin or merino wool)?
Not sure what the reference is to cotton etc. The original chamois pads were leather, chamois leather. Awful things that stiffened like a board after a wash and need a cream to soften them while beating it on a wall. I remember the boils. No matter how careful I was with hygiene I got one or 2 boils every year. Using those again would be a big step back.

dekindy
01-27-2012, 09:13 PM
http://boure.com/

Boure's Pro model shorts/bib shorts have an ultrasuede material that mimics leather. Read about it under #1 in Frequently Asked Questions or better yet call/email them and discuss it with them. They respond to emails very promptly.

Gummee
01-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Not sure what the reference is to cotton etc. The original chamois pads were leather, chamois leather. Awful things that stiffened like a board after a wash and need a cream to soften them while beating it on a wall. I remember the boils. No matter how careful I was with hygiene I got one or 2 boils every year. Using those again would be a big step back.
Yeah. I don't miss those days at all.

M

Louis
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
I think I still have a few of those, including at least one pair that has never been used. (Lycra, not wool - I'm not that old.) I can still remember slathering them up with Vaseline to keep them nice and soft...

I don't use them anymore.

Rueda Tropical
01-27-2012, 09:54 PM
you can get real leather chamois here:
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/we-replace-pad-leather-chamois-p-343.html

CunegoFan
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
I remember them, once they had been softened up with vaseline and butt sweat, being more comfortable than the synthetics we have today, but time may have made them seem a lot better than they were.

Louis
01-27-2012, 10:55 PM
One good thing about them is that they did not feel like diaper pads. (At least the ones I used.)

tetsuo
01-27-2012, 11:43 PM
icebreaker makes bike shorts (merino wool).
haven't used them but their leggings and cycling/multisport quantum hood is rad!

bart998
01-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Kucharik makes wool shorts and offers real chamois as an option. I plan on getting a pair or two. Never had a problem with boils or sores, still don't.

tiretrax
01-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I never had a saddle sore with a real chamois. I do remember them getting stiff after washing, but a little chamois creme took care of that.

Louis
01-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Edit: Folks, the shorts will soon have a new home.

BTW, if anyone out there wants a pair of brand new (no tags) Performance Size L "real chamois" shorts (all black, Lycra) let me know. I promise, they've never been worn. (I would never buy or sell used undies or bike shorts.)

I'm 99.999999% sure I know where they are in the pile of old bike stuff that I never use. They will be yours for the cost of a PM with your address info.

Louis

bart998
01-28-2012, 03:41 PM
BTW, if anyone out there wants a pair of brand new (no tags) Performance Size L "real chamois" shorts (all black, Lycra) let me know. I promise, they've never been worn. (I would never buy or sell used undies or bike shorts.)

I'm 99.999999% sure I know where they are in the pile of old bike stuff that I never use. They will be yours for the cost of a PM with your address info.

Louis

PM Sent!