PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone want a McNugget?

bikerboy337
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I try my best not to judge people and their choices, but how does this happen....

This week 17-year-old British factory worker Stacey Irvine was rushed to the hospital when she collapsed, struggling to breathe. During the exam, doctors were stunned to learn that Ms. Irvine had never in her life eaten fruit or vegetables; instead she had eaten almost nothing but fast-food chicken nuggets since she was two years old.

Her mother, Evonne Irvine, told reporters she had gone to great lengths to try to feed her daughter more nutritious food, at one point even trying to starve the girl, but it hadn’t worked. Stacey responded that, once she started eating nuggets, she “loved them so much they were all I would eat.”

What’s so bad about nuggets?
They would be bad enough if they were merely chunks of chicken that had been breaded and deep-fried in oil. One documentary describes McDonald's nuggets as chickens “stripped down to the bone, and then 'ground up’ into a chicken mash, then combined with a variety of stabilizers and preservatives, pressed into familiar shapes, breaded and deep fried, freeze dried, and then shipped to a McDonald’s near you.”

Aside from chicken and oil, those “stabilizers and preservatives” are said to include dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone also used in cosmetics. Another additive is tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a form of butane. According to one report, chicken is only about 50 percent of a McNugget; the remainder is a mixture of corn-derived ingredients, sugars and synthetic substances.

If a four-piece serving of Chicken McNuggets carried a nutrition label, at first glance it wouldn’t seem too scary: 190 calories, 12 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fat. But consider that more than half of those calories (56 percent) are from fat—and protein accounts for a mere four percent. Add a whopping 360 mg sodium, and its image as “the more nutritious fast-food snack” fades.

victoryfactory
01-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Interesting, but the story implies bad logic.
It's not about the McNuggets, it's about a sadly flawed
person and this would have happened no matter what single food she ate.

(I also doubt that was really all she ate)

VF

deechee
01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
nuggets taste good.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

weiwentg
01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
This is from the Daily Mail, a UK tabloid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

She looks to be of regular weight, so I'm not sure how plausible the story is that she had breathing difficulties. The story does claim she mainly eats McNuggets, but not 100% exclusively...

verticaldoug
01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Eat like ****, feel like ****.

pavel
01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
in other credible news today, Batboy turns 26

http://s3.media.squarespace.com/production/465215/5307116/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/news_batboy_2.jpg

Dr. Sparrow
01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Interesting, but the story implies bad logic.
It's not about the McNuggets, it's about a sadly flawed
person and this would have happened no matter what single food she ate.

(I also doubt that was really all she ate)

VF

Thank you! It almost seems as though McDonalds is the focus of the story. Had she eaten nothing but oranges for the last 15 years she maybe much worse off.

William
01-27-2012, 02:30 PM
She should have ordered the Free Range McNuggets....

http://0.tqn.com/d/weirdnews/1/0/D/A/-/-/Chicken_Nugget_1.jpg

William :rolleyes: :)

Tom
01-27-2012, 02:44 PM
I remember reading a story back when I was a kid about some guy that ate nothing but carrots and turned yellow.

thwart
01-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Doesn't look like someone living on junk food...

toaster
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
It's time you all learned about Pink Slime. It's how the meat industry is allowed to use parts of beef that should be thrown out.

Dr. Sparrow
01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
It's time you all learned about Pink Slime. It's how the meat industry is allowed to use parts of beef that should be thrown out.

Why should it be thrown out?

I don't care for organ meat but I don't give a Rat's behind if you eat it.

Spin71
01-27-2012, 03:02 PM

There are people in every corner of the globe living very healthy lives eating the entire animal. All types of entire animals.

toaster
01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Why should it be thrown out?

I don't care for organ meat but I don't give a Rat's behind if you eat it.

Because it can't be used unless it's cleaned with ammonia because it's dirty. It's used in ground beef by the fast food industry and may even be in your supermarket.

Idris Icabod
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
The story is from the Daily Mirror, maybe only one tiny jump up from The Sun newspaper. Also as a scientist the part which reads "include dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone also used in cosmetics. Another additive is tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a form of butane" is so wrong it makes me cringe.

Louis
01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I find it very difficult to believe that anyone can be that stupid. Maybe I'm wrong.

She could compensate by eating nothing but kale for the next 15 years. Yum.

http://steamykitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/091205_crispy-kale_002.jpg

Fishbike
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
And we ride 15 pound wonderbikes (okay more lile 18 lbs cause I like steel) on the same roads as 3 ton SUVs. And many places on the planet don't have sanitation. All people live with risk. (Except maybe my mother in law). Some choices are more voluntary than others. But yeah, those McNuggets are nasty. I really like the Filets O' Fish though. (Or is that Filet O' Fishes?)

William
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
And we ride 15 pound wonderbikes (okay more lile 18 lbs cause I like steel) on the same roads as 3 ton SUVs. And many places on the planet don't have sanitation. All people live with risk. (Except maybe my mother in law). Some choices are more voluntary than others. But yeah, those McNuggets are nasty. I really like the Filets O' Fish though. (Or is that Filet O' Fishes?)

Fillet O fish.

Fillet ah fish?

No.

Fillet O fish.

Fillet ah fish?

No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeEDKErYJ4

William

Louis
01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
McD is just a subsidiary of the Soylent Corp.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Soylent_green.jpg/220px-Soylent_green.jpg

Earl Gray
01-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Never Mind

Fishbike
01-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Fillet O fish.

Fillet ah fish?

No.

Fillet O fish.

Fillet ah fish?

No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeEDKErYJ4

William

Made me laugh William. Made me laugh. And now I am craving a couple of those whatever they are called. . . .

TMB
01-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Because it can't be used unless it's cleaned with ammonia because it's dirty. It's used in ground beef by the fast food industry and may even be in your supermarket.

Pink slime ...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/26/mcdonalds-drops-use-of-pink-slime-in-u-s-meat/

oldpotatoe
01-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I try my best not to judge people and their choices, but how does this happen....

This week 17-year-old British factory worker Stacey Irvine was rushed to the hospital when she collapsed, struggling to breathe. During the exam, doctors were stunned to learn that Ms. Irvine had never in her life eaten fruit or vegetables; instead she had eaten almost nothing but fast-food chicken nuggets since she was two years old.

Her mother, Evonne Irvine, told reporters she had gone to great lengths to try to feed her daughter more nutritious food, at one point even trying to starve the girl, but it hadn’t worked. Stacey responded that, once she started eating nuggets, she “loved them so much they were all I would eat.”

What’s so bad about nuggets?
They would be bad enough if they were merely chunks of chicken that had been breaded and deep-fried in oil. One documentary describes McDonald's nuggets as chickens “stripped down to the bone, and then 'ground up’ into a chicken mash, then combined with a variety of stabilizers and preservatives, pressed into familiar shapes, breaded and deep fried, freeze dried, and then shipped to a McDonald’s near you.”

Aside from chicken and oil, those “stabilizers and preservatives” are said to include dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone also used in cosmetics. Another additive is tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a form of butane. According to one report, chicken is only about 50 percent of a McNugget; the remainder is a mixture of corn-derived ingredients, sugars and synthetic substances.

If a four-piece serving of Chicken McNuggets carried a nutrition label, at first glance it wouldn’t seem too scary: 190 calories, 12 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fat. But consider that more than half of those calories (56 percent) are from fat—and protein accounts for a mere four percent. Add a whopping 360 mg sodium, and its image as “the more nutritious fast-food snack” fades.

""I try my best not to judge people and their choices, but how does this happen....""

Really? You did that pretty easily....

Elefantino
01-29-2012, 06:14 AM
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/100/33da0af28c0844e322e10252afbf2c69/l.jpg

pedlpwrd
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Lol, okay, that was just gross! Lol!

MRB
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Please tell me that chicken head is PhotChop work! (even if it's not true).

ringcycles
01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Realize we're discussing british journalism, where a third of stories are rumors from the pub, and another third are drunken fairytales.

Louis
01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Realize we're discussing british journalism, where a third of stories are rumors from the pub, and another third are drunken fairytales.

FWIW, the story's also been on slightly more responsible news sites here in the US, so it may be true after all. However unlikely that may seem.

slowgoing
01-30-2012, 01:01 AM
She's a 17 year old factory worker?

Her mom's protests are ridiculous. The girl wouldn't eat anything else? Trying not taking her to McDs.