PDA

View Full Version : problems with Look Keo Grip cleats

pablo pinchasso
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
does anyone else have a problem wtih the grip protion of the Look Keo grip pedals falling off...? I walk to the end of the garage on a rubber mat.get on my my bike then ride. the only time I am off is to get something to eat out of my pocket of my Jacket or take a nature break as Paul calls it. I never walk in the damn cleat but the rubber grip sections just do not stay on. I have started glueing them with Cyanoacrylate adhesive ( super thin kind) before i ride but they only last a couple of months..... just me or lousy construction??

crownjewelwl
01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
does anyone else have a problem wtih the grip protion of the Look Keo grip pedals falling off...? I walk to the end of the garage on a rubber mat.get on my my bike then ride. the only time I am off is to get something to eat out of my pocket of my Jacket or take a nature break as Paul calls it. I never walk in the damn cleat but the rubber grip sections just do not stay on. I have started glueing them with Cyanoacrylate adhesive ( super thin kind) before i ride but they only last a couple of months..... just me or lousy construction??

Don't bother...the grip cleats suck

alexstar
01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
+1 they suck... the gripper part breaks off, or half of it breaks off and won't let you clip in.

pablo pinchasso
01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
That is my problem. they suck.....wish I had gone to Dura Ace pedals...

Bruce K
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
I no longer buy them for just that reason.

They last about 2 weeks and then kapow! Gone.

Cafe covers work fine for me.

BK

tiretrax
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
I haven't had that problem, but I get an annoying squeak when the cleat tries to float. After I run through the cleats I have, I may switch to Speedplays.

rpm
01-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Look Keo Grip cleats are awful. They also make it harder to get into the pedals. Get the non-grip dual density cleats and cleat covers for walking. They work great.

ringcycles
01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Agreed, last spring I came out of my pedals in a sprint with the grip cleats. After a hard tumble to the tarmac, I changed out the cleats to the regular dual density. I carry the cleat covers if I'm going to stop on my training rides. The rubber inserts can keep the cleats from full engaging in the pedal. Not worth the risk.

leooooo
01-27-2012, 06:42 AM
So would you all suggest that ripping the grip of the cleats is a terrible idea?

I purchased non-grip cleats for racing/3 season riding, but I still have 3 pairs of grip cleats that came with the pedals. Ripped the grip off and mounted a pair on my winter boots. Obviously no full blown sprints in winter, but this thread has me questioning my rationale.

Nooch
01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
cleat failure should have nothing to do with the grip on the cleats.. I've worn mine down, torn it off, whatever you want, and have been fine. I'd imagine other wear or insufficient tension on the pedals to cause the clip out..

Regardless, the grip cleats squeek like mad.

If you're wearing yours out really quickly, you might want to re-evaluate how you put your foot down at a stop sign. if you go toe forward, then yeah, you're going to wear out the grippy part. if you put your heal down first, though, they should last fine. I *ONLY* clip out on my right side and as such end up wearing through my right cleats about twice a year, where as my left cleats are in fine condition -- the grip portion and the cleat itself.

pablo pinchasso
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
just sent an e-mail to Look and want to see what kind of response I get to the e-mail and the link to this thread on the crappy grip cleats.
will post if I get a reply

phoeve
01-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Are you guys using the Keo cleats that are better for walking ? They have rubber inserts. They last much longer for me than the other variety. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-Look-Keo-Grip-Cleats-6525.31.1.html

stien
01-27-2012, 11:01 AM
I use cleat covers that came with my blades, love them (the covers). I imagine the squeak will go away if you get a little spray lube on the metal plate or grippy part. I do have that problem too.

leooooo
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Are you guys using the Keo cleats that are better for walking ? They have rubber inserts. They last much longer for me than the other variety. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-Look-Keo-Grip-Cleats-6525.31.1.html

Yes, talking about that one.

I have two more, NIB. If you have non grip ones, wanna trade?

I purposely ripped mine off before I mounted it on the boot.

pablo pinchasso
01-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Those are the ones that do not last . I don't walk on them they deteriorate from going in and out of the pedals. The durometer of the rubber inserts are way too soft and the amount of surface area they use to retain the grip portion in the cleat is way too small to keep the pedal from ripping the cleat insert off. poor design. with way too soft of a rubber..... but that is just my opinion.

alexstar
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
With my grip cleats, I never walk on them - I use cleat covers until I get on the bike, and immediately after getting off the bike. The only time the grip cleat touches the ground is at stop lights. Even so, the rubber part breaks off within two weeks.

happycampyer
01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I actually prefer the cleats with the grippers, and haven't had any issues with them I might have some grey cleats without the grippers that I would be happy to swap for grey ones with.

laupsi
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
been wearing look keo cleats for years, have never had a problem

phoeve
01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't get it either. With the grippers they last a lot longer for me.

ibis
01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
just sent an e-mail to Look and want to see what kind of response I get to the e-mail and the link to this thread on the crappy grip cleats.
will post if I get a reply

Pablo,

Thanks for the email this morning. Truth be told, I don't really hear much regarding the wear and tear on the cleats, so this is good feedback. I will pass this on to the powers that be in France.

Like some in this thread, I use cleat covers, but I also use the "Bi Mat" (bi-material) cleats. There is slightly less lateral play with the bi mat cleat, you still get to choose your float (0, 4.5, and 9 degree), and dual compound reduces any risk of cleat noise.

If you feel your grip cleats have failed you in any way, shoot me a PM or email and I'll see what I can do for you! Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps to keep the evolution of the product moving forward.

I guess my undercover-ness is blown with this thread :)

Thanks,
Justin Lubecki
jlubecki@lookcycle-usa.com
LOOK Cycle USA

pablo pinchasso
02-26-2012, 08:11 PM
just wondering if anyone got any replacement cleats. was told 3 weeks and they would be in...... anyone got any cleats YET???

luaxwe
02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
just wondering if anyone got any replacement cleats. was told 3 weeks and they would be in...... anyone got any cleats YET???

I am sure you can get some non grip keo cleats tomorrow if you walk into a bike shop.

And yes I believe the grip cleat is problematic as the other posters have said. All it takes is one slight misstep and a chunk of the grip material is torn off. I think you will also find that the bimaterial cleat will engage the pedal quicker as there is less likely to be friction caused by the soft grip material.

In practice the grip cleats offer no value!

stephenmarklay
02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
It's funny. The other day I was getting off my rollers and there was this little rubber piece! Yep same deal. I also only walk on my rubber flooring in the garage. Otherwise the cleats have been fine for me. I regularly spray Teflon lubricant on my pedals and never have any noise.

Bob Loblaw
02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Those grip cleats are a bit pricier, too, IIRC.

I have had no issues with Keo cleats. I have worn through three composite pedal bodies though, in less than 10k miles (about a year and a half) due to a wiggle in my right foot. The right also happens to be the foot I put down at stoplights, and therefore picks up grit and sand.

Problem solved with zero float cleats. Current pedals have two seasons in them with no discernable wear. The new Keos with the metal plate seem to address the issue too.

BL

nightfend
02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm actually switching back to Looks in anticipation of the Garmin Vector pedals that are coming out. But I really do shake my head at the Look cleats. I mean, if Shimano, who has an arguably very similar cleat in the SPD-SL line can make a durable and walkable cleat, why can't Look? On my old Shimano pedals, I could go a year without having to replace the cleats.

tiretrax
02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
I usually get a year out of my cleats.

pablo pinchasso
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM

no I was talking about getting a set or some replaced from look because they were not lasting more that a week or so. The said that they were re-desgned and were better.... my computer is down and can't get to the e-mai from look but Justin above said to shoot him an e-mail and he would see what he could do about replacemnte cleats.....

Anyone do that?