PDA

View Full Version : titanium fork?

ergott
08-13-2005, 08:43 PM
After reading about the wonders of steel forks, I wondered if there are nice high end titanium forks out there? I have an Ottrott (polished ti) and am giving the thought of a titanium fork to match. I had a Master X-light with the matching steel fork and it did ride like a dream. Problem was the bike did ride like a tank. Smooth, but like a tank.

Anybody have a ti fork on their bike? Can you compare the ride to the Serotta F2 (Ouzo pro) for me?

Thanks,
-Eric

saab2000
08-13-2005, 08:51 PM
There are very few Ti forks on the market. It is apparently a material which does not lend itself well to forks.

When I lived overseas I frequently went to the Zuerich bike show and there was some dude who built ti bikes and also ti forks. They were massive in construction and I can hardly believe that they were any lighter than steel.

pale scotsman
08-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Not too many around. Ti forks that is. I know a guy with a ~ '92 Paramount Ti with a Ti fork and it looks super cool but it's hanging on a wall right now. Waaaaaayyyyyy too flexy. You'd think someone could figure out a way to make one work. Someone posted a Serotta single speed with a ti fork not too long ago. I think it was Morati that made that one.

My girlfriend in highshool's next door neighbor had a teledyne titan with it's 2nd or 3rd ti fork in the 80's. Pretty sure I'd ditch that fork.

chrisroph
08-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Teledyne used to make them. They were very flexible and prone to cracking in the steering tubes because of pressure from the stem expander bolts.

Seven makes one now for cross bikes. They are big, ugly and expensive and I've never heard anyone say how they ride.

Stick with the reynolds.

If you need to spend money, buy some ada's from the jerk. You can still get dropped, but there is no way you'll wrench your back loading your bike on your roof rack.

ergott
08-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Oh, well. Thanks, guys

-Eric

Climb01742
08-14-2005, 04:48 AM
i had a panasonic from late 80s that was all ti, frame and fork. my ex-wife still rides today. better stop there.

Rapid Tourist
08-14-2005, 08:27 AM
I think Marzocchi makes ti forks. I know i've seen them for mountain bikes. The ones I've seen are at least very good looking, don't know anything about the ride.

Rapid Tourist
08-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Morati makes them for road, cross and mountain bikes.

http://www.morati.com/en/default.htm