PDA

View Full Version : help.. my 2 year old team zipp wheel failed.. any ideas

tribuddha
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
hey my not quite 2 year old team zipp rear wheel has failed, my LBS said it has multiple cracks... the shop that built my bike ( custom Ti classique ) does not return calls.. any ideas what remedy i might have? any help is greatly appreciated.

azrider
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Jra?

tribuddha
01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
not sure what that means?
aww.. just riding around :banana:
yup on a ride here in the napp valley..heard some clicking on the back wheel and thought my wheel needed to be trued up.. guess not.. I have not had any wrecks or potholes that would cause this type of damage.. I am about 245# but the builder assured me this wheelset could handle my weight ( i was around 300# then) not sure if this has happened to anyone on the forum..

azrider
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
JRA- Just Riding Along

To think an online forum could evaluate what happened to an exploding wheel with the information you provided is a little far fetched. Zipp wheels don't just fall apart either......

What were wheels being used for ? What kind of wheels? tubular? Clincher? 404's, 303's?

How big a fella are ya?

Were these raced?

These are just a start to the umpteen other questions i'd ask before I'd even begin to tell you what to do next.

tribuddha
01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
thanks for any help you might lend.. has i said my builder is non responsive.. the wheels are team zipp.. like 101's.. clinchers..700's.. they have a 32 spoke hub ( 188?) .. I weigh 245 but no racing just riding probably less the 2000 miles a year..no wrecks.. never been on the ground ( yet).. goes to my LBS regularly for maintainance...and yes they just failed..guess it happens..even to zipp wheels

Louis
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I am about 245# but the builder assured me this wheelset could handle my weight ( i was around 300# then)

Not to get too personal, but this is probably a significant part of the issue. You might consider moving to beefier wheels and see how they work out.

Good Luck

DRietz
01-25-2012, 10:50 PM
If there are cracks in the rim, get a new rim and relace the wheel.

firerescuefin
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Contact Zipp. Their CS is superb.

AngryScientist
01-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Not to get too personal, but this is probably a significant part of the issue. You might consider moving to beefier wheels and see how they work out.

Good Luck

yea, dont take this the wrong way, but any shop who sets up a 300# rider on a set of weight weenie botique wheels is doing them a disservice.

i second the notion of contacting zipp directly. if your shop is unresponsive, i would think they would like to hear about that too. sounds like you might be in good shape; from the zipp website:

Extent of Limited Warranty

Zipp warrants its products to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for a period of two years after original purchase. This warranty only applies to the original owner and is not transferable. Claims under this warranty must be made through the retailer where the bicycle or the Zipp component was purchased. Original proof of purchase is required.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Good Luck

What he said. The LBS is being irresponsible for saying those wheels are appropriate for you.

No Zipp rim or wheel is designed for you. Add about a pound to your wheels and find some reliability.

-peter
-.1 offa ton...

staggerwing
01-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Even though they aren't particularly low spoke count wheels, the photo on Zipps site, and ~1500 gram overall weight suggest a wheel not up to the task.

Rider weight limit is discussed in Zipps FAQ (Here (http://www.zipp.com/support/faq/faq.php)), and unfortunately, you aren't on the approved list; at purchase or presently. Shame on the original LBS, if they understood your dimensions, yet still suggested these wheels.

Perhaps, since they are conventional hubs (DTSwiss sourced?), you could rebuild onto a stiffer rim, like a Velocity Deep V. If it is the hubs that are cracking, then it is time to start over.

Bob Loblaw
01-26-2012, 08:00 AM
+1 on weight being a factor. Don't get discouraged though. It sure sounds like you are on the right track in that area.

BL

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-26-2012, 08:12 AM
IMO, there's two kinds of LBS's, the shops that move product, no matter what. And the shops that service customers. Much more of the previous. I'm no lightweight, but if I roll into some LBS pining for some Campy Hyperons (Which I do!!) or other non appropriate carbon weight weenie wheelset), and have the $3K+ cash in my hand, few shops are gonna talk me out of it. 32H, 3X, Campy10 hubs on everything, 'cept for some Neutrons, which aren't fragile. Can't go wrong with "regular" handbuilts.

54ny77
01-26-2012, 08:36 AM
sounds like you got sold a ferrari when you needed an f250 4x4. it's unfortunate that occurred, at a serotta shop no less.

and for the record, that's what i need too (heavy duty wheels), so i'm not poking fun at you. no fancy wheels for me either. ;)

what's a shop to do if a customer demands something "high end" or fancy carbon, but it's a totally inappropriate choice of equipment for that individual? do you do the sale, and face future product and reputation risk like this op's circumstance? or do you try and educate the customer and potentially lose the biz?

i know a few guys who do that sort of thing with golf clubs ("check out my new $500 driver!") but they still suck. you know darned well the golf store salesman isn't turning that sale down.

ultraman6970
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
300??? I'm around 200 and I wouldn't do it hehe u are a brave man.

Good luck calling zipp, hope they can do something.

christian
01-26-2012, 08:42 AM
i know a few guys who do that sort of thing with golf clubs ("check out my new $500 driver!") but they still suck. you know darned well the golf store salesman isn't turning that sale down.Not to get all Richard Sachs on you, but you don't ride astride a golf club on the road. Bicycle parts need to be designed and sold with more margin in mind, given that their failure is potentially much more dangerous.

In short, at 245 lbs, the OP would be best suited by a pair of 36 spoke hand built wheels. It is unfortunate that his LBS sold him totally inappropriate wheels, but that's what happened.

54ny77
01-26-2012, 08:44 AM
actually, didn't zipp used to have a clydesdale version of some/few of their wheels? i remember seeing something like that. might have been awhile ago though.

jonnyBgood
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Zipp did make a clydesdale version of a few wheels but they still had a weight limit. I am pretty sure as of 2011 there are no longer clydesdale versions in any of there wheels. Even in the aluminum clincher 404's or 808's the weight limit was 245.

I believe the 101's have a weight limit of 220 and that is questionable.

We had a Demo set of 101's in our shop last season. I weight 190 and the spokes were making some pretty good noises as I was powering out of the saddle so I would question the 220 weight limit.

54ny77
01-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Sorry i think you misunderstood my point, or maybe i wasn't clear. We're both saying the same thing. :beer:

Yep the op got sold something he didn't need or, worse (as we've seen), was totally inappropriate. Either that was via a disingenuous salesman, or the other side of the coin is maybe he demanded something snazzy, not knowing what he didn't know (at the time of purchase, anyway).

Hence my other post asking the question, "What's a shop to do?'" when it comes to a customer who demands the latest and greatest. That's really where the golf equipment comparison makes sense.

I know guys who will go to a golf shop and demand the latest and greatest, cash in hand. What's a salesman to do in that situation? Say, "Sir, to be honest, the only way you will break a hundred is if you go into a liquor store and hand over a hundred dollar bill when you buy a 6-pack of Bud Light. Instead of buying the SuperFly5000 Carbo-Deluxe club set, you really should spend your money on lessons, because the SuperFly 4000 clubs you have now, which were top of the line last year, are more than adequate."

:bike: :banana:

Not to get all Richard Sachs on you, but you don't ride astride a golf club on the road. Bicycle parts need to be designed and sold with more margin in mind, given that their failure is potentially much more dangerous.

In short, at 245 lbs, the OP would be best suited by a pair of 36 spoke hand built wheels. It is unfortunate that his LBS sold him totally inappropriate wheels, but that's what happened.

FlashUNC
01-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry i think you misunderstood my point, or maybe i wasn't clear. We're both saying the same thing. :beer:

Yep the op got sold something he didn't need or, worse (as we've seen), was totally inappropriate. Either that was via a disingenuous salesman, or the other side of the coin is maybe he demanded something snazzy, not knowing what he didn't know (at the time of purchase, anyway).

Hence my other post asking the question, "What's a shop to do?'" when it comes to a customer who demands the latest and greatest. That's really where the golf equipment comparison makes sense.

I know guys who will go to a golf shop and demand the latest and greatest, cash in hand. What's a salesman to do in that situation? Say, "Sir, to be honest, the only way you will break a hundred is if you go into a liquor store and hand over a hundred dollar bill when you buy a 6-pack of Bud Light. Instead of buying the SuperFly5000 Carbo-Deluxe club set, you really should spend your money on lessons, because the SuperFly 4000 clubs you have now, which were top of the line last year, are more than adequate."

I think christian's point is that for a bike shop, they're really taking someone's safety in their hands when they sell products that aren't designed for the end user.

Sure, the golf shop will happily sell the driver to whoever has their credit card handy, but that's also because that driver's failure to work properly won't kill the user. If the OP's wheel failed while, say, speeding down a descent, there the possibility of some really bad stuff happening.

I don't know if the OP went in with a "Zipp wheels or bust" attitude that the shop complied with, but I think even then its an irresponsible approach if they did. Its the shop's job to make the customer happy, but also, I'd hope, do it in a responsible way.

I'm not the lightest guy around, and I hope if I went in wanting to spend money on something that wasn't right for me, the shop would steer me towards what would work. They'd still make a sale, I'd get shiny new bike stuff, everyone wins.

Between the bad wheel advice and the shop not returning calls, I'd find another shop.

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2012, 09:44 AM
"what's a shop to do if a customer demands something "high end" or fancy carbon, but it's a totally inappropriate choice of equipment for that individual? do you do the sale, and face future product and reputation risk like this op's circumstance? or do you try and educate the customer and potentially lose the biz?"

. . . stated by ZIPP on these wheels? Shop could have at least done due diligence and disclosed if there was one. I know there are other lighter wheels on the market that don't have weight limits.

But that also brings up the possisbly sticky question of how reliable manufacturer's stated weight limits are. On this I would probably give them some credence. If ZIPP states no weight limit and the thing then explodes on a 50mph downhill underneath our 240 lb rider that could bring up a teensy-weensy liability issue.

BBD

Idris Icabod
01-26-2012, 09:54 AM

I was in Excel in Boulder about 10 years ago and there was a guy in there pretty much demanding to buy the highest zoot Cervelo TT bike, the sales people were pretty much pleading with him not to buy it, I remember one guy saying to him "you do not want to buy this bike", turns out he just wanted the most expensive bike they had as it was a gift from his wife and he was new to cycling, not sure if they sold him it. Totally off topic but I like that story and would love to know the outcome.

Back on topic, not sure what Zipp can do except send some new rims, they really aren't at fault. If they do I would sell those things on and go get a repuatable person (there are at least 3 on this forum) to build you some suitable wheels. Peter C (old spud) seems to be the biggest bombproof wheel advocate here IMHO. You'll probably need new hubs with a higher drilling.

54ny77
01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
BBD: I went through this EXACT issue with Edge a couple of years ago regarding use of their 2.0 fork for tandem use. Since Alpha Q went bust around that time, their carbon tandem forks were impossible to find (which was the intended setup). And if they were available, it was price gouging at its finest. My option was to go with a custom steel fork, or seek out an alternative carbon fork.

Since I'd seen a tandem online that was built by Calfee (which I think won best somethingorother at NAHBS or some other show) with a painted Edge fork, I inquired of the owner and we got to chatting. Then I got to chatting with Edge. Long story short, while they don't publicly say it, the 2.0 tested stronger than anything in the market and they gave me the green light based on combined rider and bike weight.

Absent that green light, my alu. tandem frame would've had a nice custom steel fork (and I have to give many thanks to Dave Anderson of Anderson Cycles, who was awesome and very patient in answering my many questions on the topic at the time. He's a 1st class guy and makes some gorgeous bikes.).

But that also brings up the possisbly sticky question of how reliable manufacturer's stated weight limits are.
BBD

christian
01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
We're both saying the same thing. :beer: Yes, I understood and I was simply chiming in and agreeing.

54ny77
01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Speaking of margin of safety, I had a Big Bertha driver whose head flew right off after I hit the ball. It was pretty damned funny, mostly due to all of us being a *few* beers deep while on the course. Picture some folks waiting behind and watching us teeing off, and....zoom! "Oh excuse me, I need to go get my club face." :banana:

Yes, I understood and I was simply chiming in and agreeing.

chismog
01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
I would rebuild the wheel. Replace the rim with a beefy deep section aluminum job, like a CXP33 or something. You'll have to get shorter spokes as well, and you should probably select some heavy gauge spokes.

Even though the wheel will be a ~1/4 lb heavier, it will probably ride better under a guy like you because it will feel much stiffer and more solid.

Also, uh... Check the front! Probably fine, but if you cracked a back rim you should definitely be checking the front too.

Anyway, above solution should cost you about a hundred bucks. If your shop is cool (repentant???), maybe they'll throw in labor for the rebuild or give you cost on the rim.

If you decide you need to just get a whole new set of wheels, get something with more beef.

Good luck sir, and congrats on dropping that weight! 20% of body mass is pretty impressive.

firerescuefin
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Zipp did make a clydesdale version of a few wheels but they still had a weight limit. I am pretty sure as of 2011 there are no longer clydesdale versions in any of there wheels. Even in the aluminum clincher 404's or 808's the weight limit was 245.

I believe the 101's have a weight limit of 220 and that is questionable.

We had a Demo set of 101's in our shop last season. I weight 190 and the spokes were making some pretty good noises as I was powering out of the saddle so I would question the 220 weight limit.

They still do make the Clydesdale....just don't call it that.

Pasted from their faqs

We generally recommend our maximum limit at 275 lbs. That is not to say that every Zipp wheel is right (or wrong) for you. We strongly believe in having the right wheel for the right application. The needs of a 220 lb sprinter are different from those of a 115 lb triathlete. If you are at or above 190 lbs, we strongly recommend you consider the MAX 404 or 808. These wheels have additional spokes that offer better stiffness and cornering confidence for someone at that weight. Keep in mind - this is a guideline. There are very strong riders at 180 lbs who may prefer the MAX, and very smooth-riding 225 lb riders who may prefer the standard wheel.
Recommended maximum weight for specific wheels:
190 lbs (86kg) for 202 and 303 tubular
225 lbs (102kg) for Team Issue, 404, 808, and 1080
Above 190 lbs (86kg), consider MAX 404 and 808
275 lbs (125kg): Cyclocross, MAX, Track, Disc wheels
Note: Zipp wheels, rims, and hubs are NOT warranted for use on tandem bikes.

Call Zipp CS....they're great folks!

jpw
01-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Out of curiosity what is the recommended rider weight limit on the OP's rims?

Would they stand up to cobbles at that weight limit too?

Charles M
01-26-2012, 01:47 PM
We dont know what wheels...

There's a question mark beind 101's if they're Alu Clinchers they could also be the "team issue" model that predate the 101's.

In any case, the OP was over the Max for all Zipp wheels when he bought them... He's now down to "around 245" from 300 ish.

OP,

The one constructive thing you can tell us here is...

Who exactly was the bike shop, and where are they located.?

verticaldoug
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Tribuddha,

I have a set of the Zipp Inlines which I bought in 2008. These wheels originally where the Team CSC Team Issue wheels which were touted as training wheels. I always thought these wheels where essentially DT Swiss RR465 rims with Zipp hubs.

I am about 190lbs and have about 9000 miles on these. The wheels are still true and pretty close to bomb proof. I ride pretty hard and like to break stuff.

When you bought the wheels, you were a big guy. ZIPP Customer service is good and you may or may not get something. Now at 240 lbs, there are many wheel sets out there. You probably treated yourself to a new suit after the weight loss, now treat yourself to some new wheels. . . I've ridden the HED Ardennes which are nice. I have a set of DT Swiss 465 with CK R45s which I also like.

As several other posters have commented, losing 80 lbs is inspiring. Now if only I can get inspired enough to drop down to racing weight....

Douglas

oldpotatoe
01-26-2012, 02:14 PM

You asked, "Hence my other post asking the question, "What's a shop to do?'" when it comes to a customer who demands the latest and greatest. That's really where the golf equipment comparison makes sense."

I know what I would do and I know what other places here in the republic would do.

Politely say that those wheels are not appropriate for him, he will have problems and here are alternatives....

And if insists, 'sorry, you'll have to find them elsewhere'.

Selling something like this only causes discontent, and costs the shop money.

Other places would sell 'em and like the OP, not answer their phone.

Jeff N.
01-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I am strong anti-Zipp. Don't get me going.

Louis
01-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I am strong anti-Zipp. Don't get me going on Zipp.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_5ioJqrf4fK8/Tb6Pe6BGvGI/AAAAAAAApsU/JV1dZI1bMfw/IMG_4677.JPG

Jeff N.
01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_5ioJqrf4fK8/Tb6Pe6BGvGI/AAAAAAAApsU/JV1dZI1bMfw/IMG_4677.JPG
Ha! There ya go. Now put yer pants back on!:)

mjb266
01-26-2012, 08:52 PM
What he said. The LBS is being irresponsible for saying those wheels are appropriate for you.

No Zipp rim or wheel is designed for you. Add about a pound to your wheels and find some reliability.

-peter
-.1 offa ton...

Agreed, check out 36 hole, 3x with 14 guage spokes and a 25mm tire. You're a big fellow and if you've dropped 50 lbs but have increased the strength on legs that were used to holding up 300# then you're strong...get a wheel built for the rider, not one marketed to the rider. Talk to oldpotatoe or Tom Kellogg at Spectrum. They'll do well by you.

struggle
01-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I would rebuild the wheel. Replace the rim with a beefy deep section aluminum job, like a CXP33 or something. You'll have to get shorter spokes as well, and you should probably select some heavy gauge spokes.

Even though the wheel will be a ~1/4 lb heavier, it will probably ride better under a guy like you because it will feel much stiffer and more solid.

Also, uh... Check the front! Probably fine, but if you cracked a back rim you should definitely be checking the front too.

Anyway, above solution should cost you about a hundred bucks. If your shop is cool (repentant???), maybe they'll throw in labor for the rebuild or give you cost on the rim.

If you decide you need to just get a whole new set of wheels, get something with more beef.

Good luck sir, and congrats on dropping that weight! 20% of body mass is pretty impressive.

LBS built me a pair of CXP33s with ulterga hubs and the better nipples brass? and top notch spokes and the wheels have been bullet proof. Expansion crack approved. They were retensioned after the first 500 miles and never again. Have several thousand miles on them. I typically ride them on RAGBRAI as well as they are so durable no need to worry about finding difficult spokes for lighter wheels should one fail.

When I did some TTon my Cervelo P2C I wanted a HED disk but after talking to them with weight hovering around 200lbs give or take HED said no go stick with the HED3 wheel. I was dissapointed but did not want to risk failure.

Hope you get something worked out. Sounds like you were sold out for profit of the LBS :no:

tribuddha
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM

I am not a weight guy i realize I have a lot to lose before I worry about shaving grams off of any bike part.. I wanted a bike I could ride without the hassle of high end low weight stuff... I did question the choice of wheels and I was assured they were " bulletproof" appernetly that means something different then I thought it meant :) trust me this is not what I asked for..

Louis
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
If Zipp makes some wheels for big guys then you might want to talk to them about your options, given what happened to your first pair. If they don't, we have a few folks right here on the forum who can build you exactly what you need.

Two that come to my mind are Peter (Old Potato) and Eric (Ergott). There are more.

Good Luck
Louis

tribuddha
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
thanks to all.. I called Zipp today ( after 3 days of no return calls for my builder) :crap:
and my LBS here in Napa sent them out today..he also offered to build me a new wheel Mavic Pro with my hubs for around 200$ thought that was a fair price and he has a great rep here in the valley.. but it seems as if Zipp will honor the warranty or offer an upgrade if they cannot .. so thanks again..so great to have somewhere to get good advice :banana:

tribuddha
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I think christian's point is that for a bike shop, they're really taking someone's safety in their hands when they sell products that aren't designed for the end user.

Sure, the golf shop will happily sell the driver to whoever has their credit card handy, but that's also because that driver's failure to work properly won't kill the user. If the OP's wheel failed while, say, speeding down a descent, there the possibility of some really bad stuff happening.

I don't know if the OP went in with a "Zipp wheels or bust" attitude that the shop complied with, but I think even then its an irresponsible approach if they did. Its the shop's job to make the customer happy, but also, I'd hope, do it in a responsible way.

I'm not the lightest guy around, and I hope if I went in wanting to spend money on something that wasn't right for me, the shop would steer me towards what would work. They'd still make a sale, I'd get shiny new bike stuff, everyone wins.

Between the bad wheel advice and the shop not returning calls, I'd find another shop.

I really trusted my builder on this one.. I didnt ask for much..chris king head set, thompson post..the rest was up to him.. and as I said I question the wheel choice as it seemed to good to be true at 1500 grams.. but I was assured it would be ok.. guess what.. zipp knows there stuff and my builder was full of it... guess I learned another lesson :crap: be a bit more informed on the important stuff like wheels, brakes etc..live and learn :banana:

tribuddha
01-26-2012, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the kind words and the advice!! :beer: where do I find these wheels?

struggle
01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the advice!! :beer: where do I find these wheels?

CXP33 (MAVIC) is just the rim as I recall and has to be built to your spec as to hub,spokes etc.

You would need to contact a builder or bike shop that builds wheels. I don't think I have ever seen one in a catalog before.

jtakeda
01-27-2012, 12:20 AM
If you're in Napa maybe you should try to get these if theyre still available

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/2811330828.html

This might be what you're looking for and theyre not too spendy

Bob Loblaw
01-27-2012, 07:45 AM
It's a process. Unfortunately sometimes the only way to learn who to trust is to learn who NOT to trust a little at a time.

Good luck!

BL

I really trusted my builder on this one.. I didnt ask for much..chris king head set, thompson post..the rest was up to him.. and as I said I question the wheel choice as it seemed to good to be true at 1500 grams.. but I was assured it would be ok.. guess what.. zipp knows there stuff and my builder was full of it... guess I learned another lesson :crap: be a bit more informed on the important stuff like wheels, brakes etc..live and learn :banana:

maunahaole
01-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Warranty the zipp wheel and then sell it. Use the funds to get a good set of conventional wheels made up. Big dudes need more maintenance on wheels, especially in the back. I have had experience with the cxp33 and will not go there again. Skip over that and go to the DT 585 or RR1.2 (same thing, but they changed the name). I had big problems with cracks on the mavic. You may want to also consider some touring/tandem type rims for everyday use as well. I have had really good luck with the velocity dyad in 36h. It is wide and you should use a big (700x25 or bigger) tire on it, but sturdy. The DT tk series rim is one to consider as well. Some of the more experienced wheelbuilders should give some advice on hubs. The nature of the rear wheel makes it weaker (spokes are unbalanced, wheel takes more weight and all the power) - there are some ways to build in a little more strength with the hub, but it has to do with flange height and spacing - some hubs optimize this a little better than others.