PDA

View Full Version : Warped chainrings

Louis
01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
I have a Campy big chainring bent courtesy of Fed-Ex. It it isn't hugely out of shape, and actually still usable (especially since I use DT shifters, and so the front is friction). But it is annoying when I look down, and to get rid of rubbing it does require frequent trimming as I shift the back.

It seems to me that with a bench vise and some careful bending I should be able to take out at least half of the wobble. Have you ever done this, and how successful were you?

TIA
Louis

sokyroadie
01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
We have a 600 ton press at work that would probably straighten it if you want ;) .

Jeff

AngryScientist
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
my thought it to not go bending chainrings. in all odds, it might be fine, but when you think about the stresses a chainring is under, they work because all the load is assumed to be in one direction - towards the crankarm only. any side loading, caused by a bend, or weak spot could be catestrophic. i say file a claim with FE and get a new chainring, not worth the chance...

imho.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/5217542687_382a140f81.jpg

rab
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
A couple of us used to do this on occasion with mountain bike chainrings that were bent courtesy of Pennsylvania rocks.
Put them in a vise and just made as minimal an adjustment as possible, usually bent with hand pressure, occasionally a little bump with a rubber mallet. This always returned them to usable/acceptable condition, never had any issues resulting from the work.
If you have the ability to get a good look under magnification it might not hurt to check for any micro cracks.

Good luck!

pavel
01-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Is that a stronglight 99, AS? what did you do????