PDA

View Full Version : Halo Headbands

BdaGhisallo
08-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I am getting fed up with sweat coating my oakleys ten minutes into a ride and did some googling on headbands and discovered the Halo site.

Does anyone here use one? Are they as good as they are described as? Any preference for the elastic fit or the tie-back version?

Thanks for the help.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2005, 06:08 PM
. . . on really warm and/or humid days and it’s compounded by my requiring a prescription insert on my glasses. Once the sweat starts dripping it runs down and gets between the regular lens and the prescription one and it’s, well, yucky.

I have tried various do-rags--from the Headsweat brand to plain ones from the motorcycle store and putting a tennis-type terry headband under the do-rag. I have to wear a head covering of some sort, though, because I shave my head, and if I don’t I get the dreaded HELMET TAN! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I’ve found that most purpose-made Headsweats-type wraps are counterproductive because the sweat bands are not interchangeable. Once you’ve soaked the built-in one, you can take the whole thing off and wring it out, but that’s about it--and it feels REAL gross when you put it back on. I’ve found that the best solution for me is to put the sweatband under a plain do-rag or one of those helmet liners that Pace makes and just take along one (or more) spare headbands. If I really think I’m gonna get soaked I put the fresh ones in a ziploc bag so they won’t get soaked in my pocket.

Hope that helps. It works for me, and it’s a lot more flexible and cheaper than a Headsweat do-rag.

BBDave

wasfast
08-13-2005, 06:30 PM
I am getting fed up with sweat coating my oakleys ten minutes into a ride and did some googling on headbands and discovered the Halo site.

Does anyone here use one? Are they as good as they are described as? Any preference for the elastic fit or the tie-back version?

I bought 2 of the one piece version this summer and haven't been satisfied. The concept seems sound but hasn't worked for me.

I also have a Headsweats full cap and that was also not helpful.

My solution currently is to ride with sunglasses for the early part of the ride. Once the helmet (I currently have a Bell Sweep) pad gets soaked in the front, I take off the glasses and press the helmet against my head to drain the pads.

About 1/2 way into the ride, I put on a cotton skull cap and go through the same process.

It's far from ideal but I haven't found any product that will handle the amount of sweat that I put out.

YMMV.

Don
08-13-2005, 06:31 PM
work well for me here in southeatern Florida. I find that sweat is carried away from my eyes in much better fashion than other bands I've used. During the summer months, I do carry a "spare" with me and use it when half way through a ride. I ride with the elastic model.

One of the better things about the Halo band is that it fits under the front of my helmet without difficulty.

Don

Louis
08-13-2005, 06:33 PM
BdaG,

Earlier this summer I too got tired of giving my sunglasses (and Rx inserts) a sweat bath. Someone on this forum suggested the Halos and I bought two of them.

So far I'm very happy. I used to use very narrow cotton headbands. The Halos have cut down the stuff that gets to the Rx inserts to the point where even on a humid 3 hour ride (St Louis is one of the humidity / heat capitals of the US) I will not once have to clean my lenses. Mind you, they aren't 100% perfect, a small amount of sweat does get in, but compared to before it's a world of a difference. Well worth the $ IMO.

I got the tie-ones because I think they are a little cooler (looks cooler, that is, not temp), but I would imagine that either is fine.

Louis

ericspin
08-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I have used the Halo for about three years and I find that they work great. The yellow unobtanium sticky strip sticks to your forehead acting as a gutter of sorts. I wear RX glasses and can't stand the stream of perspiration right in the middle of the lens. Try one.

Bradford
08-13-2005, 07:12 PM
I haven't tried the Halo, but have both a headsweats and a pace helmet liner and both work well for me. I prefer not to have things hanging out the back of my helmet, so I go with helmet liner style.

This morning I thought it would be cool out so I did not wear a helmet liner, and boy did I notice. It turned out to be hot and humid and sweat was pouring out of my helmet. Its been so long since I'd seen that I'd forgot how annoying it can be. I'll make sure I have the helmet liner on tomorrow.

Kevin
08-13-2005, 07:32 PM
BBDave,

I did not know that Bees sweat. Since I am still a hairy catepilar I have an excuse for not being aerodynamic, and therefore slow, as well as not needing a headband. :banana:

Kevin

PS The King lives.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2005, 08:10 PM
. . . the All-Powerful King Of Evil is a friggin’ INSECT? This is most, er, disappointing . . . :(

BBDave

Needs Help
08-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi,

I took an old wicking jersey, and I cut 2 inch wide strips out of it that were long enough to tie into a head band. First, I twisted them to form a rope, and then I tied them to length. They have some stretch to them, so I double knotted them--that way I don't have to tie and untie them. I can just slip them on and off. The wicking material seems to work better than cotton, and the river of sweat that normally washes over my eyes gets diverted elsewhere. I find that even during centuries in hot humid weather, my sunglasses remain dry while the sweat cascades out of my shoes and splashes onto the shimmering tarmac.

Kane
08-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I use the Halo 'tie-back' on model. They work great. The one piece version was too tight for my large size pumpkin. The yellow strip works as advertised to wick the moisture to the sides of you head so that it does not drip into your eyes. The band is thin enough to fit under the edge of the helmet without compromising the fit.

This is a great product!!

Peter
08-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm a heavy sweater and like you, got fed up with sweat blurring my sunglass lenses. This summer, I gave up wearing sunglasses as long as temps were high enough to cause me to sweat, which is just about anything over 75.

Then I bought two Halo Headbands, the elastic, one piece version. It holds a lot of sweat then proceeds to drip it down the center, right in front of my nose. So much for the gutter effect. Yeah; it's better than nothing, but nowhere near what the company claimed. Maybe a 15-25% improvement versus using nothing.

I have to turn my head frequently and press my helmet against my forehead, releasing a torrent of sweat held by the Halo.

It does fit well under my helmet, though.

Kevin
08-14-2005, 05:49 AM
. . . the All-Powerful King Of Evil is a friggin’ INSECT? This is most, er, disappointing . . . :(

BBDave

And to what family does the Bee belong?

Kevin

BdaGhisallo
08-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I will try one - if it works then great, if not then it's only $12 wasted.

Cheers.

Lanny R. Levenson
08-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I like the Halo head band and find it work most of the time. Someone once told me about using chapstick. If you run it across your forehead it will also help to eliminate the sweat problem.

Lanny

Too Tall
08-15-2005, 08:29 AM
What Peter said...Halo works about 50% OK. The BEST BEST BEST solution for me is what another poster does. Cut a 2+ inch strip (I used a hemmed portion of an old set of bibs) of good wicking material and tie a knot. The knot "draws" copious amts of dew and keeps the front side honest....works way better than any "system" or sweat band I've ever used incl. that crazy plastic sweat gutter thing.

Fred D
08-15-2005, 09:25 AM
I too have tried the Halo and like them. My question is this how come you never see the pros wearing sweat bands. Is it not cool?

Fred D

fiamme red
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
My question is this how come you never see the pros wearing sweat bands. Is it not cool?Back in the '80's they were cool. Remember Laurent Fignon?

Fred D
08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Oui.

Skrawny
08-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Another vote for Halo here.
I use the tie back one. No more sweat in the eyes!
Many I know like it, but I know one who felt it made his helmet too snug. I would recommend taking your helmet with you to try it on before buying.
-s