PDA

View Full Version : SpokeGrenade SG1000 headlight

vqdriver
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
seems to be a few months old product. some good reviews from mtbr.
pretty good pricing too. anyone try one yet?

http://spokegrenade.com/products/

jischr
01-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Their SG900 looks just like my Majic Shine from a couple years ago. Very bright but a fairly narrow beam. Great for straight line on a road bike or trail, but a 90 or near 90 degree turn needs a helmet mount or other light. One of these years I'll buy the helmet mount and it won't matter.

gdw
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Judging from the pictures of the light, mount, and packaging, it's an updated Magicshine or clone. They're made in China and use a single Cree XM-L led. The lum output is probably in the 700-800 range if they use the standard 2800ma AMC7135 multi-mode driver. In otherwords they're a mass produced Chinese light which can be purchased elsewhere for less.

DRZRM
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Where can you buy 800 lumen lights for less than $89?

gdw
01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
China - DealExtreme
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510

I've been using one for errands and commuting this fall and winter. The battery holder's velcro straps need to be shortened and the cables are too long but for the price it's a decent light.

DRZRM
01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow, thanks!

vqdriver
01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Judging from the pictures of the light, mount, and packaging, it's an updated Magicshine or clone. They're made in China and use a single Cree XM-L led. The lum output is probably in the 700-800 range if they use the standard 2800ma AMC7135 multi-mode driver. In otherwords they're a mass produced Chinese light which can be purchased elsewhere for less.

apparently you're not the only one to notice a resemblance

FROM THE MAKER on STR:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We are really excited about our new SG-1000 light set, and we think folks will be very happy with it.

There are several reasons why our SG-900 looks similar to the Magicshine light, but it is a different light from a different factory. Quality control is EXTREMELY important to us, and we are so confident in our manufacturing that we offer a one-year, no-nonsense, warranty.

Obviously, I am biased and think the SG-1000 is the best light in the world. We fully expect it to end world hunger, stop all war, and lead us to a world of sub-15lb full-suspension 29ers.

It is new to the market as of Tuesday, so there aren't many customers using them yet to give opinions. For what it's worth, in our field testing, we found it to be noticeably brighter than our SG-900 and the Magicshine 900. The light that the SG-1000 puts out is still a medium-width spot, but it is a more even beam than any of the 900-lumen lights we have tested, including ours.

If I can answer any specific questions about the light or the technology that powers it, please let me know.

Also, for those that picked up coupons at the Rwanda ride, because of last-minute delays with the SG-1000 launch, we have extended the expiration date of the coupon to June 11, 2011. If you have misplaced yours, simply use the Amazon code "50mr2011" at checkout to save $20 each on as many lights as you need.

Michael (aka SpokeG)

gdw
01-25-2012, 08:56 PM
"There are several reasons why our SG-900 looks similar to the Magicshine light, but it is a different light from a different factory. Quality control is EXTREMELY important to us, and we are so confident in our manufacturing that we offer a one-year, no-nonsense, warranty."

What he's saying is that one Chinese factory is copying another Chinese factory's product and has better quality control. Classic.