PDA

View Full Version : Uvex Boss Race Question

dekindy
01-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I have seen several references to Uvex helmets on the forum so I thought I would ask about ventilation. The only negative comment that I am concerned with is ventilation. A reviewer said it was very good but "not as good as the the tops of the tops" of the major brands. I have a Giro Ionos and feel that it is significantly better ventilated than a Bell Sweep so I was wondering if anyone could compare to these helmets; or to the Giro Aeon or Specialized Prevail?

EDS
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I am impressed you can feel the difference in ventilation between the Sweep and the Ionos. I couldn't.

dekindy
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I am impressed you can feel the difference in ventilation between the Sweep and the Ionos. I couldn't.

I was riding the Ionos exclusively and for some reason that I cannot recall decided to wear the Sweep. I was noticeably hotter and could not figure out the reason until I thought about the helmet. Next ride I rode the Ionos and was cooler. However the only reason that I purchased a new helmet was for better ventilation. I do not seem to tolerate the heat as well as the folks that I ride with so just a little difference is significant for me. If you are in really good shape and tolerate the heat well then you may not be very sensitive to helmet ventilation. I could tell a huge difference between the Trek Interval that I purchased in 2006 and the Bell Sweep purchased in 2007. Purchased the Ionos in 2009 and could definitely tell the difference between it and the Sweep though not as great a difference as the prior, it was significant enough that I was glad I purchased the Ionos. Indiana is very hot and humid and I ride during the heat of the day on weekends and the Ride Across Indiana which may make a difference.