PDA

View Full Version : teams and crashes

Fixed
08-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Two local teams were on their weekly Saturday training ride this AM; the pace was hard, the weather hot. About three-quarters into the ride at about 40 mi. two riders hooked handle bars. One of the riders crashed hard. His team members continued to ride away, the other team with the better riders stopped for the injured man. One was a doctor, another a nurse and they called 911 thinking he probably has a broken hip. They waited for the ambulance to insure the fallen riders well being - I loaded the bike into the broom wagon for the man - I am currently unattached - which team do you think I want to join next year? (I was on the team last year that rode away.)
Cheers :beer:

Tom
08-13-2005, 04:54 PM
They left their guy on the side of the road with a broken bone? Nice. Very nice. That absolutely blows my mind. I hope the guy gets better fast and gets rid of those fools.

Fixed
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah they never stoped they think it's a Sat race.I bet you guys have been on rides like that it's a ride for racers only for the most part.I am not saying they were wrong or right I mean what good are 40 guys standing around in the middle of nowhere about half of the group stopped you have to do what you think is right I turned around to see if I could help. Cheers

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2005, 06:54 PM
. . . ago I had a flat on a fast group ride--but I could just as easily have been having a heart attack. Group and leader rode away without a word. Leader later told me he did it deliberately because he had decided he did not like me. He also told me I was a jerk (that’s A jerk, not THE jerk! ;) ) and that “everybody” dislikes me and “nobody” likes to ride with me. Hmmm . . . Not surprisingly, I no longer go on any ride with that leader. I wonder who else he has secretly decided he doesn’t like? . . .

BBDave

Fixed
08-13-2005, 07:03 PM
From the trainin rides with groups I do with all the yellin guys do at each other most people would think all racers are jerks ( not the jerk)but it was nice to see the really fast team stoped for a guy who was not on their team.Cheers

bpm
08-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't care if you hate the guy; someone crashes on a training ride, you stop and make sure he's okay, and if not, that he gets the medical attention necessary. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2005, 08:12 PM
. . . not stopping immediately for someone who I was riding with who had crashed--or ANYone I see riding who has crashed, for that matter. Just cannot imagine it . . .

BBD

e-RICHIE
08-13-2005, 08:15 PM
. . . ago I had a flat on a fast group ride--but I could just as easily have been having a heart attack. Group and leader rode away without a word. Leader later told me he did it deliberately because he had decided he did not like me. He also told me I was a jerk (that’s A jerk, not THE jerk! ;) ) and that “everybody” dislikes me and “nobody” likes to ride with me. Hmmm . . . Not surprisingly, I no longer go on any ride with that leader. I wonder who else he has secretly decided he doesn’t like? . . .

BBDave

it sounds like a scene outa' rebel without a cause.

Bill Bove
08-13-2005, 08:18 PM
BBD, so this tells you he dropped you intentionally because he didn't like you? What an ***. I mean that. No matter what a jerk anybody may appear to be on first impression you don't say something like that uless you are a bigger jerk. I would have glued my front wheel to his back wheel all summer and constantly asked him stupid questions, say, how do you like those DT spokes, you feel any faster with them. Those are cool socks, did you get them at K-Mart? Wanna meet my sister?

csb
08-13-2005, 08:20 PM
the image of dirt + 93 having to stop for one or the other
(and help) conjures up spirited comedic images

cyclesberuff
08-13-2005, 08:30 PM
that is how they teach their children,and how they were taught themselves

Sandy
08-13-2005, 08:40 PM

Perhaps. Perhaps, not. I feel very confident that each would stop for the other and would be very helpful.

Slowly Stopping Sandy

PS- I would even stop for Kevan, but please don't tell him that.

Sandy
08-13-2005, 08:49 PM
That was no ride leader. I tend to ride with slower groups, one important reason being that I find the slower riders to be much more social (as a rule), sensitive, and caring. The higher up one goes in ride clasifications, the more focused on speed and less caring for other riders, seems to be generally true. If you get dropped, or have a mechanical problem, or are lost,...., the faster riders often could care less.

A very good example of the above was when Rapid Tourist and I were lost, due to a poor cue sheet on the Saturday Serotta Open House ride. The fastest of the 3 groups passed us, and could have cared less. A slower group would normally stop.

Most ride leaders are not really ride leaders, according to what I think a ride leader should be. Most simply give out cue sheets, and do little else. My bike club has problems with getting and keeping new members, which does not surprise me at all.

Stopping for BBDave,

Sandy

csb
08-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I feel very confident that each would stop for the other and would be very helpful.

agreed

chrisroph
08-13-2005, 09:25 PM
That dude needs a new team pronto.

Fixed
08-13-2005, 09:26 PM
I just heard he has a broken hip had it pinned tonight.It's a jungle out there.Cheers

BumbleBeeDave
08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
<<No matter what a jerk anybody may appear to be on first impression you don't say something like that unless you are a bigger jerk.>>

Yes, I pretty much agree. The fact he pulled this little act at a big ride meet several weeks later by the local club--in front of many other cyclists--pretty much sealed the deal. I didn’t have any trouble finding people to ride with then and still don’t. I wonder how HE’S doing?

And Sandy, I agree that being a true ride LEADER takes a dedication and focus to the welfare of others--and a willingness to sacrifice your own ride quality for the benefit of others AND accept the responsibilitiy for the welfare of those riders who view you as the “leader.” I confess I would rather not make that sacrifice. But I am so grateful for those who do, because it’s a huge responsibility. Someday on one of this guy’s rides someone IS going to have a heart attack, or crash horribly, or get hit by a gravel truck after they, too, get a flat and he rides away and leaves them by the side of the road. Then I guess we’ll see what kind of a “ride LEADER” he really is . . .

And fixed . . . I hope your--OUR--fellow rider heals up cleanly and swiftly and goes out for a ride with that feaster team even if he can’t quite keep up, because they are his REAL friends on the road.

BBDave

William
08-14-2005, 03:36 PM
You don't leave a rider behind! Period! Ever! If it's a race, the team car takes care of it, or the officials while the team coninues the race. On a training ride, no excuse what so ever. As a matter of fact, some riders would be fearing for their lives after I healed up if they left me on the side of the road with serious injuries.

William :mad:

vaxn8r
08-14-2005, 04:22 PM
....A very good example of the above was when Rapid Tourist and I were lost, due to a poor cue sheet on the Saturday Serotta Open House ride. The fastest of the 3 groups passed us, and could have cared less. A slower group would normally stop.... Sandy
Wait a sec. Sandy! You been holdin' out on us? You were passed by the fast guys, but only after you were lost and stopped. Next thing we'll be hearing it was a hilly ride too. Nice job!

dirtdigger88
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM

I would stop and help- Im not THAT big of a d*ck ;)

Jason

csb
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
I would stop and help- Im not THAT big of a d*ck ;)

Jason

http://www.lurchmag.com/macelvis-nixon.jpg

dirtdigger88
08-14-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.nrk.no/img/392356.jpeg

jason

dirtdigger88
08-14-2005, 06:07 PM
http://www.lurchmag.com/macelvis-nixon.jpg

or the latest picture of the king to surface

http://my.crisys.org/funny/Elvis-ThatsComedy_com.jpg

jason

BumbleBeeDave
08-14-2005, 07:47 PM
. . . William’s imitation of Cipollini? ;) :rolleyes:

BBDave

William
08-14-2005, 07:54 PM
...You ah, makin fuhn of my ahh, custom Assos tights u-huh???

PA: "WILLIAM HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!"

William :D

ergott
08-14-2005, 08:06 PM
. . . William’s imitation of Cipollini? ;) :rolleyes:

BBDave

I think I see a polycarbonate pole coming your way :bike:

Duck!

Fixed
08-14-2005, 08:53 PM
yo dirt that hurt my eyes that's one ugly white man.Cheers

dirtdigger88
08-14-2005, 09:14 PM
yo dirt that hurt my eyes that's one ugly white man.Cheers

this any better?

http://www.age-30-45.gr/oldsite/ugly/wasted.jpg

Jason

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2005, 06:40 AM
. . . Your Dad needs a haircut. ;)

BBDave

dirtdigger88
08-15-2005, 07:21 AM
. . . Your Dad needs a haircut. ;)

BBDave

dude- thats my mom

Jason

Too Tall
08-15-2005, 07:27 AM
No freakin' excuse. I put the blame squarely on each teams pres. to set the riders straight ASAP.

Ken Robb
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
since when does a person riding in a group need the leader to tell him to act like a human being and help an injured person? Did the leader use a bullwhip or a taser to keep the other riders from stopping to help?

Fixed
08-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I was in a crash on that ride a little over a year ago 3 of us went down They didn't stop then either.One guy was hurt, knocked out the other rider and I put him and his bike in someone's car who happend to stop and we hobbled home.The hurt guy was one of my best riddin buddies, after he got better he sold his bike and never came back I was mad as well I quit the team then but I love to ride and pratice racin and it's the only game in town.I still remember layin on the ground and waching the group ride away,It's a jungle here .I made up my mind then to always stop for someone, it might mess up your ride but not as much the guy's who went down, A couple of months later one of the big guys mr ex.national champ has bike trouble I am only one who stops with him them I help pace him back to the group does he say thanks no.But I didn't care I always stop cos I am just glad it's not me.you guys who race are your rides like this?This is all I know when my jr. rider starts with this group I will be near him all the time can't ride off in the faster breaks.excuse :bike: my writting I wanted tell the story.Cheers :bike: :beer:

MartyE
08-15-2005, 01:54 PM
it sounds like a scene outa' rebel without a cause.
I'd say more Rebel without a clue. . .

marty

Fixed
08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks Marty.Cheers

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Just to be absolutely fair to the other guys on the team . . . Are you sure they knew you had crashed? In my case, most of the pack--including the ride leader--passed me, so they HAD to know I was having problems. But despite my best efforts, I have been on rides before where we dropped someone and didn't even know it until we stopped for a re-group and they were, well, just gone. We almost always go back to look for them, but maybe it worked the same with these guys? They were just going all-out and not looking back?

But assuming they DID know three riders had crashed--absolutely unforgiveable. I simply cannot comprehend doing that to anyone I see crash on a bike.

BBDave

jdoiv
08-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I was on a training ride with a local racing club back in the day (late '80s or early 90's) and we had two guys go down in a corner while winding up for a sprint (large parking lot area). One guy broke his collar bone. We all stopped and helped get him and his bike loaded in someones car and taken to the hospital. It pretty much ended the training for the day and we all soft peddaled back to campus. I just can't imagine riding away from someone after a crash. Heck, I stop and help people I don't know if they have a flat. I wouldn't go riding with those fools again if I were him.

coylifut
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
this brings up another point that I'm sure has been discused before. nothing hurts the image of cycling more than these out of control group rides that are nothing more than an unstructured race through city streets. we have a wheelmen group here that has a number of rides around town. I've been out twice. there were 40 or so guys running lights, crossing the center line, choping each other through corners and in general cheesing off the general public.

If you want to hold a race, get a permit and do it right

William
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
this brings up another point that I'm sure has been discused before. nothing hurts the image of cycling more than these out of control group rides that are nothing more than an unstructured race through city streets. we have a wheelmen group here that has a number of rides around town. I've been out twice. there were 40 or so guys running lights, crossing the center line, choping each other through corners and in general cheesing off the general public.

If you want to hold a race, get a permit and do it right

Good point. Seems like just about everyone here knows of a group thoughtless hammer heads in their area.

William