PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Prevail question

dekindy
01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
This helmet seems to get the most glowing reviews currently of any helmet. Assuming that the shape fits your head and Tri-Fix Web Splitter fits around your ears I can find only two criticisms of this helmet.

1. The rear and possibly front straps flap in the wind for some users. I would like to clarify this. Does this increase the noise level of the helmet as I have seen many comments that the Prevail is much quieter than the Ionos? Is it otherwise annoying or do they just flap and while not ideal because a helmet this expensive should not have that happen but is really not a distraction?

2. I saw a comment that a guy pressed down on the front top of the helmet like he has done on many other helmets to squeeze sweat out of the pads and the helmet broke. Can't imagine this but it did not appear this guy was a gorilla or anything so I wanted to inquire about this. He commented that because of this he felt that the Prevail requires extra special handling.

EDIT: PLEASE NO SPECIALIZED SHOULD NOT HAVE SUED VOLAGI REPLIES.

Further research created other questions.

The Prevail's straps are on the outside of the helmet so sunglasses are worn inside the straps versus outside on most helmets. Does that work better than other helmets or does it matter?

Can anyone compare the noise level of the Ionos Roc Loc 4 model to the Giro Aeon or Specialized Prevail?

illuminaught
01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
General complaint against Specialized:

"Then, Sycip says, Specialized claimed Volagi’s frame looked like the Roubaix, a Specialized frame. He notes that the case was based on a noncompete clause. “It kept on changing, which to me is ridiculous. Obviously, they were just trying to go after them and trying to buy time, basically, to put these guys out of business.” "

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/01/13/specialized-wins-lawsuit-volagi-wins-freedom/
http://www.sanjose.com/news/2012/01/18/bike_buzz_specialized_faces_lawsuit
:crap:

I don't really want to buy a Specialized helmet for this reason.

vqdriver
01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
1 - the prevail doesn't have the typical adjustment clasp where the webbing makes the "v" shape intersection on the sides, it's a fixed clasp. so it's possible that this could result in one being slacker than the other if you wear it at an extreme angle. i wear the strap a bit looser than normal cuz i like to chew gum when riding and i don't like to feel tension under my jaw. i haven't noticed any additional noise when riding.

2 - the retention device has multiple attachment points to the helmet body. i suppose it's possible that one of those attachment points came free since they just snap into the helmet foam. but i've had that happen to my wife's giro just by carrying it by the strap as well. i'm assuming it's the retention device that "broke" cuz i can't imagine that anything happened to the helmet itself.

bostondrunk
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I've been using their top end helmets for years. Yes, they are great, and no, they won't break if you push down on them!
And who cares about Volgari, or whatever the heck the other company is called.
Doesn't change the fact that Specialized makes some very nice products.
Their S-Works road shoes are top notch as well.

dekindy
01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
General complaint against Specialized:

"Then, Sycip says, Specialized claimed Volagi’s frame looked like the Roubaix, a Specialized frame. He notes that the case was based on a noncompete clause. “It kept on changing, which to me is ridiculous. Obviously, they were just trying to go after them and trying to buy time, basically, to put these guys out of business.” "

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/01/13/specialized-wins-lawsuit-volagi-wins-freedom/
http://www.sanjose.com/news/2012/01/18/bike_buzz_specialized_faces_lawsuit
:crap:

I don't really want to buy a Specialized helmet for this reason.

Are you going to post this on every Specialized thread? Give it a rest!

vqdriver
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
i love my specialized helmets. that's three in a row for me, one of which gave up the ghost in my defense. if it fits, it fits WELL.

illuminaught
01-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Are you going to post this on every Specialized thread? Give it a rest!
First time mentioning it for me. See link:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=988073

Good luck with the helmet search.

dekindy, thanks for the input. :banana:

beeatnik
01-25-2012, 01:01 AM
They're awesome helmets, if you want to look like an alien ant with a fat wallet. :p

gearguywb
01-25-2012, 05:47 AM
I got a decent deal on one almost a year ago and the best compliment that I can give it is that I never think about it.

dekindy
01-25-2012, 08:26 AM
The Prevail's straps are on the outside of the helmet so sunglasses are worn inside the straps versus outside on most helmets. Does that work better than other helmets or does it matter?

cfox
01-25-2012, 08:33 AM
I really like this helmet. It's the lightest helmet I've ever worn (I don't know where it lies in the pantheon of super-light helmets). I didn't think I would be able to detect the weight difference between this and my old Lazer, but I definitely could. It sits higher up on your head, esp. on the sides, and really 'disappears' once it's on. The straps work fine with glasses over them, and their design keeps them away from your ears better than the usual "Y" strap.

Nooch
01-25-2012, 08:34 AM

From my understanding you still wear your glasses over the helmet, not doing so (supposedly) causes excess wind noise with the straps. by pushing them back toward your head you're cutting the noise.

Gummee
01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I bought 2. They're cool enough that I have to wear a head covering of some kind up to about the low 50s.

AFA the straps? Don't notice em.

HTH

M

jonnyBgood
01-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Say whatever you want about Specialized but...they make some of the best products in the industry.

They're awesome helmets, if you want to look like an alien ant with a fat wallet. :p

Yeah but pretty much all the new helmets these days look a little silly on.

At our shop in the high end helmets we sell the Specialized Prevail 10 to 1 over the new Giro Aeon. I think it truely comes down to fit and most have liked the Prevail better.

dekindy
01-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Can anyone compare the noise level of the Roc Loc 4 model Ionos to the Giro Aeon or Specialized Prevail?

dekindy
01-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Say whatever you want about Specialized but...they make some of the best products in the industry.

Yeah but pretty much all the new helmets these days look a little silly on.

At our shop in the high end helmets we sell the Specialized Prevail 10 to 1 over the new Giro Aeon. I think it truely comes down to fit and most have liked the Prevail better.

Wow!

zap
01-25-2012, 09:26 AM
I repeat...awesome helmet.

Flappy straps...nope.

Break when touched.........nope.

Just purchased one for my wife two weeks ago. She loves it.

FlashUNC
01-25-2012, 09:50 AM
If the Prevail is anything like the S-Works road helmet I got at the end of last season, then I'd imagine its pretty comfortable.

The straps on that are also mounted to the outside of the helmet, but I haven't had much problem tucking them under my glasses. The straps, at least on the S-Works, were made from a bit softer material than your usual nylon strap, so wind noise isn't really an issue from that.

Or, I could just be going slow enough that I don't generate wind noise from it. YMMV.

Hawker
01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I'd like to wear a Prevail but on my head it sits really high, it is comfortable though. I can see where all the extra air flow comes from with the amount of space between your scalp and the bottom of the helmet. On a small guy, I'm afraid it looks just too mushroom-like.

bozman
01-25-2012, 11:04 AM
If the Prevail is anything like the S-Works road helmet I got at the end of last season, then I'd imagine its pretty comfortable.

The straps on that are also mounted to the outside of the helmet, but I haven't had much problem tucking them under my glasses. The straps, at least on the S-Works, were made from a bit softer material than your usual nylon strap, so wind noise isn't really an issue from that.

Or, I could just be going slow enough that I don't generate wind noise from it. YMMV.

agreed. I have an S-Works currently and will try the Prevail when it is time for a replacement. Several members of my club use the Prevail and I have not heard any complain about them.

SteveV0983
01-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I've had one for about 1 year now and it is a fantastic helmet. There is no strap noise, wind noise, or any other noise coming from the helmet or retention system. The amount of air flow is noticeably more than my old Giro Pneumo and it is much, much cooler and lighter. Of course, none of this matters if it doesn't fit you well. I tried a Catlike, Ionos, Bontrager, and Lazer and the Prevail fit me absolutely perfect. See what fits you best and, if it is the Prevail, don't worry about all the other issues because they are not issues for most people. As a last option, you could purchase it directly from Spec because they give you a 30 day money back guarantee, but it's always best to support your local shop as much as possible. I happen to love the straps because they found a way not to make them twist at the junction below the ear. But be aware that, according to Specialized, the straps are NOT replaceable. All of the padding and retention is, but the straps are not.

dekindy
01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input everybody.