PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to talk Baseball?

93legendti
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Just wondering-big day here

alexstar
01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
It's never too early :beer:

lonoeightysix
01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Crazy we might be getting Cecil's kid, huh? Sure takes the sting out of the V.M. loss. I wish Ilitch was into MTBing.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
What's the point? My Angels bought this year's World Series during the winter meetings. :banana:

maunahaole
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
No. We have college season starting here mid-Feb, in other words, before pitchers and catchers report to spring training. Oregon Ducks vs UH Warriors. Should be a good series. Beer and Hotdogs, evening game with temps in the mid-70's - it will not suck and I am pumped. Stadium is on campus and close to home for me.

UKBROOKLYN
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Did i wander into the wrong room here.. it said Serotta Forum on the door ???

swPArider
01-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Just don't start talking about the Pirates! :no:

fiamme red
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Did i wander into the wrong room here.. it said Serotta Forum on the door ???Well, this is just the place to discuss wool fleece, streaming TV, Kindle Fire, Ipad2, baseball, or anything else in the world that is on the OP's mind. :rolleyes:

As long as it's not a political or religious discussion. ;)

Ozz
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
...As long as it's not a political or religious discussion. ;)
So we can't talk about Apple products? :beer:

93legendti
01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Crazy we might be getting Cecil's kid, huh? Sure takes the sting out of the V.M. loss. I wish Ilitch was into MTBing.
2 of the top 10 power hitters in baseball, an improved and healthy Boesch and Avila. A full year of Delmon Young. Wow. I recovered from my torn acl in a few months, Victor could come back this season- if there is room.

maunahaole
01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Vmart is a great team guy and can seriously mash the ball, but he is brittle.

wc1934
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM

9 years 214 million!

wc1934
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Vmart is a great team guy and can seriously mash the ball, but he is brittle.

sox should have given him the extra year - he was a good fit in boston

friessco
01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Great fit for Detroit. Dangerous righty- lefty duo with Cabrera.

maunahaole
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
That's a good discussion point - if he had been better behind the plate, I think it would have been an easy decision for them. It seems that he wants to wean off playing catcher, though, and after they signed Gonzalez, they did not need a 1B or a DH.

wc1934
01-24-2012, 07:12 PM
That's a good discussion point - if he had been better behind the plate, I think it would have been an easy decision for them. It seems that he wants to wean off playing catcher, though, and after they signed Gonzalez, they did not need a 1B or a DH.

good point - they are set at 1B (and dh in a few years) - maybe they questioned his durability on a daily basis behind the plate.

quattro
01-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Just wondering-big day here

Yes, it was a big day, after 17 years playing for one team Jorge Posada announced his retirement, a Big Day indeed! We will miss you Jorge!
Did something else BIG happen today? :rolleyes:

572cv
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
For sure. One of the largest particle bombardments in recent history, here on planet Earth. Has to be it.

Ti Designs
01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
9 years 214 million!

That would be the salary of how many school teachers???

zmudshark
01-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Entertainment salaries does not equate to teacher, or for that matter, farmer salaries, as sad as that is. Priorities, I'm afraid.

If you don't pay, they won't play.

I can't remember the last time an educator filled a stadium and had a few million more watching his/her lecture on network TV.

Blame the game, not the player.

93legendti
01-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Detroit's public schools do not need more teachers. The school population is down 10% from last year.
Nor do they need more money.

"Before the district occupied the Fisher Building, its headquarters were in the Macabees Building in Midtown Detroit.[8] The district paid the owner of the Fisher Building $24.1 million in 2002 so the district could occupy five floors in the building. This was more than the owner of the Fisher Building paid to buy the building one year earlier.[9] The district's emergency financial manager, Robert Bobb, said in 2009 that he was investigating how the school board agreed to the lease in the Fisher Building.[10] Reginald Turner, who served on Detroit School Board from 2000 to 2003, said that he was told that it would be less expensive to occupy the Fisher Building than it would to remodel the Maccabees Building.[11]
In May 2011, Roy Roberts was appointed DPS's emergency manager by Governor Rick Snyder.[12] In September 2011, a new statewide district, Education Achievement Authority, will take over some of Detroit's failing schools as selected by the emergency manager[13] with up to 38 expected.[14]"

Not only that, the teachers they have only graduate ~24%. So they need better teachers, not more. But they can't get rid of the tenured teachers, so throwing money at the DPS is like burning it.

Otoh, all the supporting businesses and city tax revenues get a huge boost when the team plays well and makes the playoffs. Attendance was up 200,000 last year.
The owner, Mike Ilitch, has helped revitalize Detroit around the ballpark.

Further,

"One of Ilitch's first philanthropic efforts was the Little Caesars Love Kitchen, established in 1985. The traveling restaurant was formed to feed the hungry and assist with food provisions during national disasters – most recently helping the flood victims and volunteers in North Dakota. The program has been recognized by former Presidents Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, and has served more than 2 million individuals in the United States and Canada.
In 2006, inspired by a veteran returning to civilian life after losing both of his legs in war, Ilitch founded the Little Caesars Veterans Program to provide honorably discharged veterans with a business opportunity when they transition from service or seek a career change. Ilitch received the Secretary’s Award from the U.S. Department of Veterans affairs for this program in 2007; it is the highest honor given to a civilian by the department. Today there are 50 Little Caesars Veteran franchisees who have applied more than $1.5 million in benefits.
The Little Caesars Amateur Hockey Program, established by Ilitch in 1968, has provided opportunities for tens of thousands of youngsters over the years. Not only has it paved the way for a number of extremely talented players to make it to the NHL, it has helped develop character on and off the ice for those who have participated in the program.
Additionally, Ilitch Charities for Children was founded in 2000 as a non-profit foundation dedicated to improving the lives of children in the areas of health, education and recreation. In 2008, the charity was renamed Ilitch Charities and its focus was broadened. The new charity invests in the community’s future by supporting innovative, collaborative and measurable programs that promote economic development and spur job growth, as a means to address social issues such as poverty, unemployment, homelessness, and hunger."

Of course, others might think more teachers are just what Detroit needs.

zmudshark
01-24-2012, 09:10 PM
^^^ This.

Grew up in Detroit.

93legendti
01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
^^^ This.

Grew up in Detroit.
Me too.

Louis
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
What's the point? My Angels bought this year's World Series during the winter meetings. :banana:

Really? Did the Angels sign a free-agent last year? I must have missed it. Who was it? :p

UKBROOKLYN
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Entertainment salaries does not equate to teacher, or for that matter, farmer salaries, as sad as that is. Priorities, I'm afraid.

If you don't pay, they won't play.

I can't remember the last time an educator filled a stadium and had a few million more watching his/her lecture on network TV.

Blame the game, not the player.

could this be a problem....????

harro
01-24-2012, 11:30 PM
go yankees!

Uncle Jam's Army
01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Really? Did the Angels sign a free-agent last year? I must have missed it. Who was it? :p

Veteran setup man Latroy Hawkins from Milwaukee.......Oh, and some first baseman from St. Louis. :D

henry14
01-25-2012, 12:46 AM
I wonder how Yu Darvish is going to be.

maunahaole
01-25-2012, 01:03 AM
I wonder how Yu Darvish is going to be.

Wealthy.

Ray
01-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Nah, man, all you can buy is a solid shot at contention. And the best way to win a WS is to contend OFTEN. But everything pretty much has to go right to WIN one - there are just too many things that can happen in a 7 game series, let alone a 5 game series. But if you're in the hunt every year, it improves your odds. That's how St. Louis did it during Albert's stay there - they contended and managed to win a couple, but look how close they came to loosing that sixth game... Or to the Phils in the first round. Who themselves are the best proof of today's teams that you don't buy a WS, just a shot at one. They weren't nearly as good when they won in 2008 as they've been since, but EVERYTHING went right at the end of that season. And it hasn't since.

-Ray

oldpotatoe
01-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Then don't watch pro sports, including bike racing. Don't buy the things advertised, etc.

friessco
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Do not forget that injuries are the great equalizer and they happen no matter how much money you spend.

rugbysecondrow
01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Never too early to talk baseball!

laupsi
01-25-2012, 09:35 AM
sorry, still smarting over the Raven's loss to those over achieving Patriots and w/the Orioles as my home town team..., well yes it is too early to talk baseball!

tele
01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Not only that, the teachers they have only graduate ~24%. So they need better teachers, not more. But they can't get rid of the tenured teachers, so throwing money at the DPS is like burning it.

Thread drift: Socio-economics dont play any role right? Always blame the teachers.

Back on topic: I never thought I would see the day when my Red Sox would be outspent not by the Yankees but by teams out West, what has the world come to?

veloduffer
01-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Back on topic: I never thought I would see the day when my Red Sox would be outspent not by the Yankees but by teams out West, what has the world come to?

The Angels and Texas got fat TV contracts. It's what drives baseball economics, as there is limited revenue sharing (via luxury tax).

The Yankees seem to going back to old-fashioned trades, which they have the luxury of doing because of their well-stocked farm teams (unlike their cross-town Mets). Moreover, the Yanks also created a team (under Cashman) to scout veterans overcoming injuries, etc., which is how they picked up Bartolo Colon, Eric Chavez and Freddy Garcia.

I'm excited about the addition of Pineda to the rotation, although giving up Noesi hurts (he was ready to pitch full time in the bigs, IMHO). Now, if we could just trade AJ Burnett......

93legendti
01-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Thread drift: Socio-economics dont play any role right? Always blame the teachers.

I did no such thing. I pointed out the obvious. In a school sysem that has dwindling population; rampant fraud and theft and terrible graduation rates, more of the same makes no sense.
Sainting all teachers, just because they are teachers, leads us to the state we are in today. I'm all for good teachers. Terrible teachers should be fired ASAP. My son's kindergarten teacher is awesome. He is already reading because of her and wanted to read to me in school while we waited for the bell to ring. I waited around to thank her-as I did with my daughter's resource room reading tutor who helped my daughter rise up to the appropriate level for her age, after 2 years of below average reading.
If I had posted that they need more of the exact same teachers, I would have been a fool, or insane. Repeating the same behavior and expecting different results? I don't think so.

Assuming the blame lies with socio-economics, the DPS hiring more teachers won't change anything.
But you posted only 4 sentences from my long post. I'll re-quote for accuracy.

Detroit's public schools do not need more teachers. The school population is down 10% from last year.
Nor do they need more money.

"Before the district occupied the Fisher Building, its headquarters were in the Macabees Building in Midtown Detroit.[8] The district paid the owner of the Fisher Building $24.1 million in 2002 so the district could occupy five floors in the building. This was more than the owner of the Fisher Building paid to buy the building one year earlier.[9] The district's emergency financial manager, Robert Bobb, said in 2009 that he was investigating how the school board agreed to the lease in the Fisher Building.[10] Reginald Turner, who served on Detroit School Board from 2000 to 2003, said that he was told that it would be less expensive to occupy the Fisher Building than it would to remodel the Maccabees Building.[11]
In May 2011, Roy Roberts was appointed DPS's emergency manager by Governor Rick Snyder.[12] In September 2011, a new statewide district, Education Achievement Authority, will take over some of Detroit's failing schools as selected by the emergency manager[13] with up to 38 expected.[14]"

Otoh, all the supporting businesses and city tax revenues get a huge boost when the team plays well and makes the playoffs. Attendance was up 200,000 last year.
The owner, Mike Ilitch, has helped revitalize Detroit around the ballpark.

Further,

"One of Ilitch's first philanthropic efforts was the Little Caesars Love Kitchen, established in 1985. The traveling restaurant was formed to feed the hungry and assist with food provisions during national disasters – most recently helping the flood victims and volunteers in North Dakota. The program has been recognized by former Presidents Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, and has served more than 2 million individuals in the United States and Canada.
In 2006, inspired by a veteran returning to civilian life after losing both of his legs in war, Ilitch founded the Little Caesars Veterans Program to provide honorably discharged veterans with a business opportunity when they transition from service or seek a career change. Ilitch received the Secretary’s Award from the U.S. Department of Veterans affairs for this program in 2007; it is the highest honor given to a civilian by the department. Today there are 50 Little Caesars Veteran franchisees who have applied more than $1.5 million in benefits.
The Little Caesars Amateur Hockey Program, established by Ilitch in 1968, has provided opportunities for tens of thousands of youngsters over the years. Not only has it paved the way for a number of extremely talented players to make it to the NHL, it has helped develop character on and off the ice for those who have participated in the program.
Additionally, Ilitch Charities for Children was founded in 2000 as a non-profit foundation dedicated to improving the lives of children in the areas of health, education and recreation. In 2008, the charity was renamed Ilitch Charities and its focus was broadened. The new charity invests in the community’s future by supporting innovative, collaborative and measurable programs that promote economic development and spur job growth, as a means to address social issues such as poverty, unemployment, homelessness, and hunger."

MarleyMon
01-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Dear Tigers,

Congratulations on your acquisition.
With a contract like that, we believe he has the potential to be the next Adam Dunn.

Sincerely,
Kenny Williams

Elefantino
01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sis8GB9oWBg/TNPBf1l9oxI/AAAAAAAAACw/8HBtlv7QDuc/S250/lettimsmokecollege.jpg
For another two years!

Jeff N.
01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
It'll likely be just another mediocre year for my Padres. But I'll likely go to a few games anyway. Jeff N.