PDA

View Full Version : Grio 100s vs Pearl Izumi Lobsters

hockeybike
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Need to pick up some mitts for the next month or so of riding in DC because my Descente gloves just aren't cutting it. Has anyone here used either, both, or the Craft mitt, and have any input? Need it to be windproof (especially the thumb--that's a big gripe w/ the Descentes) and decent between 30-45. Above 45 and the Descentes are ok.

Thanks!

EDS
01-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Need to pick up some mitts for the next month or so of riding in DC because my Descente gloves just aren't cutting it. Has anyone here used either, both, or the Craft mitt, and have any input? Need it to be windproof (especially the thumb--that's a big gripe w/ the Descentes) and decent between 30-45. Above 45 and the Descentes are ok.

Thanks!

I have the Pearl Izumi lobster gloves and find them to be too hot above freezing. Great below that though.

kenmetzger
01-24-2012, 08:38 AM
I would agree here. I use the Lobsters for sub thirty degree days.
I picked up some Sugoi Firewall GT gloves and they work well in the thirties and forties.

I have the Pearl Izumi lobster gloves and find them to be too hot above freezing. Great below that though.

wasfast
01-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Also consider adding glove liners, like those sold for ski gloves. They're inexpensive and let your existing gloves keep warm for 5-10F deg lower outside temp. than now. Less than $10.

MattTuck
01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I find the PI lobsters to be almost unusable without liner gloves. Maybe I just have hot hands, but as soon as I put my hands in those gloves, they start sweating. The sweat makes inside of the glove wet and clammy.

With liner gloves, they rock. I use them for shoveling snow and for other winter tasks also.

Would agree with above comments that they are a cold weather glove, not really needed for above freezing.

Gummee
01-24-2012, 09:54 AM
When its really cold out, I just wear motorcycle gauntlets. So far, I haven't broken em out. I've been wearing some thinsulate work gloves I bought on a MC ride in CO. Been fine into the low 30s. As an added bonus, they're 'don't hit me orange!'

If you don't have MC gauntlets, ski gloves work just fine.

If you really don't want to do that, try some of the other suggestions. I haven't ridden in my (mid-90s) PI Lobster gloves in a while cause they're not nearly as windproof as the new ones.

M

bargainguy
01-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I used to wear the Lobsters for commuting down to about 20 F.

Thankfully I had bar end shifters on that bike which were pretty easy to shift with the Lobsters. STI would be tougher, but Ergo probably wouldn't be too bad.

Don

c-record
01-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Also love my PI Lobsters for the really cold rides.

rwsaunders
01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I've got a pair of Craft lobsters that I wear when it starts to creep below 30. They came with a liner and I've never experienced any sweating with the system.

hockeybike
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
How's the wind protection on the craft lobsters? My main concern is that no matter how warm the rest of my body is, I can't seem to keep my hands warm enough to open doors once I get back. Admittedly, my gloves are awful and too small, so anything would be an improvement, but I'd like to avoid wasting 50 bucks, again. Might just go with the craft ones if the wind protection is decent--the LBS stocks em.

harro
01-24-2012, 10:59 PM
lobsters are so ridiculous looking, glad it doesnt get that cold here

shortribs
01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
I've got a pair of Craft lobsters that I wear when it starts to creep below 30. They came with a liner and I've never experienced any sweating with the system.

I've also had good experience with Craft lobsters. For me it's just the right amount of padding and warmth, without the bulk that is sometimes associated with these types. In a pinch, I've found them more than acceptable even without the liner, for days when temps do warm up.

Plus they look rather subtle enough. For lobsters.

shortribs
01-24-2012, 11:38 PM
How's the wind protection on the craft lobsters? My main concern is that no matter how warm the rest of my body is, I can't seem to keep my hands warm enough to open doors once I get back. Admittedly, my gloves are awful and too small, so anything would be an improvement, but I'd like to avoid wasting 50 bucks, again. Might just go with the craft ones if the wind protection is decent--the LBS stocks em.

Not sure what sort of climate you face on a regular basis, but NYC winters are tolerable with the Crafts. Decent protection from the wind.

Toasty stuff.

Hank Scorpio
01-25-2012, 06:58 AM
I found that the Giro sizing to be a bit off. I wear XXL in Pearl and Castelli gloves and I couldn't even get my hand into the cuff of the XL Giros.

hockeybike
01-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Not sure what sort of climate you face on a regular basis, but NYC winters are tolerable with the Crafts. Decent protection from the wind.

Toasty stuff.

Perfect! I'm riding in DC, which is usually about 5 deg warmer than NYC.

rwsaunders
01-25-2012, 08:17 AM
No wind issues at all with the Craft lobsters. My only complaint with lobsters is the feel when shifting STI levers. I'll take warm fingertips as a compromise....$42 at Tree Fort Bikes.

mossman
01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I found that the Giro sizing to be a bit off. I wear XXL in Pearl and Castelli gloves and I couldn't even get my hand into the cuff of the XL Giros.

you took out the liner first, right?

giro 100 are excellent gloves. I'd choose those over PI.

Hank Scorpio
01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
you took out the liner first, right?

UMMM? Maybe? I just tried them on really quick at the LBS. I didn't notice if there was a liner in there or not. Probably was since these were new on the peg. I still couldn't get my hams in there though so I am not sure why it would matter.

mossman
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I made that mistake, myself.

there's really no easy way to put your hands into them when the liner is inside. I wonder how many potential sales have been lost when people tried to try the gloves on and couldnt.

charliedid
01-25-2012, 05:55 PM
I have to chime in and agree that the PI lob gloves are a good glove. Yes a tad too much warmth above 30.

Boy, I sure miss the original lobster glove. Why they ever changed it I will never know. Though I guess the Craft gloves are the same as the old PI ones...

Lovetoclimb
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
+1 on the lobsters, but I typically use those below 30.