PDA

View Full Version : OT Auto body shop and hot rods

rwsaunders
01-24-2012, 06:05 AM
The van had a little run in with the side of a building and the building won, so I needed to take it to the shop for some repair work. I asked Mark (the owner) what else he was working on as he always has some goodies in the back, like a Porsche 356, Shelby Cobra...you get it. Here are the latest toys that were "revived" as he likes to say.

The '32 Zephyr is a true hot rod with a mix of components. He told me that they had it running around 130 mph on a strip last Summer. The '55 Fairlane convertible is 100% original, with a repaint to match the factory colors.

christian
01-24-2012, 06:52 AM
That's a nice lo-boy, but I swear that looks like an Oldsmobile engine (even with the Lincoln valve covers).

rwsaunders
01-24-2012, 07:04 AM
That's a nice lo-boy, but I swear that looks like an Oldsmobile engine (even with the Lincoln valve covers).

You are the man! The told me that it's an Olds engine that was built by a shop in Ohio, and they machined the Lincoln covers to fit. Also, four of the carbs are for show.

christian
01-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Also, four of the carbs are for show.That's funny, because when the J2 Olds engine came out in 52 (I think), you could get it with a four-carb set up, but they were really finicky, so a lot of people blocked off two of the carbs and went to a 2 carb set up on the J2.

Ken Robb
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
That's funny, because when the J2 Olds engine came out in 52 (I think), you could get it with a four-carb set up, but they were really finicky, so a lot of people blocked off two of the carbs and went to a 2 carb set up on the J2.

I don't remember any J-2 engines until the 1957 models. My dad had a 1958 Super 88 w/J-2 that I selected for him to buy. As far as I remember the J-2 option was gone by the 1959 model year. I was really into cars, read all the magazines, hung out at the gas station with older guys who were drag racers, etc. I never saw or heard of a 4 carb J-2. They must have been very rare.

gemship
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Those are some awesome cars! I can only appreciate hot rods and antique cars but I'll tell you that this just reminds me of one the most awesome sites I've ever come across. If you like hot rods,muscle cars, antiques in perfect condition and window shopping you all need to check out this site. I found it window shopping on Ebay Motors.

Enjoy! : http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/

SteveFrench
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM

You are a bonafide car nut, man.

christian
01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't remember any J-2 engines until the 1957 models. You're dead right. 57 it was. And they weren't four-carb, but three-carb, with a linkage off the center carb. Apparently the issue was that the linkage only opened at a specific throttle position, so if you generally drove below that threshold, you'd gum up the other carbs. Apparently so unpopular, the option was gone by 59. I've seen the manifold/carb set up on a lakester of all things!

struggle
01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
cool pictures but I cry foul on the 32..no way no how will it run 130 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not set up like that.

130 in the 1/4 is 10 second range....very difficult for anything streetable....possible yes but doubtful with the first car you pictured

Ken Robb
01-24-2012, 11:26 PM
You're dead right. 57 it was. And they weren't four-carb, but three-carb, with a linkage off the center carb. Apparently the issue was that the linkage only opened at a specific throttle position, so if you generally drove below that threshold, you'd gum up the other carbs. Apparently so unpopular, the option was gone by 59. I've seen the manifold/carb set up on a lakester of all things!
As far as I know all of the GM tri-carb set-ups used vacuum linkage to open the outer two carbs when the throttle got to about 2/3 open. It wasn't too bad with automatic transmissions but with a stick shift it was difficult to get one off the line. If you gave it enough throttle to get into all three carbs the tires went up in smoke and if you stayed gentle enough to avoid opening the extra carbs you often bogged the engine.
I had a 1965 GTO 4-speed with a 4 barrel and I never lost a drag to a similar car with tri-power due to the throttle modulation problem they faced. Lots of serious racers replaced the vacuum linkage with a mechanical set-up and that was easier to modulate but still a little tricky because they too were progressive as opposed to linear in throttle opening. Interestingly I know that out J-2 and a pal's 1960 Impala w/348ci tri-power got better fuel economy than the single 4-barrel versions of the same engines.

Seramount
01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
cool pictures but I cry foul on the 32..no way no how will it run 130 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not set up like that.

130 in the 1/4 is 10 second range....very difficult for anything streetable....possible yes but doubtful with the first car you pictured

yeah, 10s ET / 130 mph for that thing is a total stretch. granted, it doesn't weigh much and could be pretty fast, but those trap speeds don't sound remotely close...

try installing some real tubing headers, slicks, etc. and get back to us...

Mr Cabletwitch
01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Cool Stuff... We have a 39 Chevy with a full tubular frame and 1000hp 572ci blower motor sitting in the shop as a project now. Should be an 8 sec. streetable car, but its far from finished. I'd post pics but I can't find my camera.

Chance
01-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice pictures. Makes me want to go out in garage and start working on an old car.

struggle
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
yeah, 10s ET / 130 mph for that thing is a total stretch. granted, it doesn't weigh much and could be pretty fast, but those trap speeds don't sound remotely close...

try installing some real tubing headers, slicks, etc. and get back to us...

I have run a friends mustang fox body with a 351 stroker not street legal and it pulled the front end off the ground at the last time at the track and my best time is 11.21@121. Wheels stands don't help time for sure. You lose a lot of the 60 foot time lifting the front end up. We should be in the high 10s if we can get the car dialed in :confused:

This is me in the car this fall last run of the year in pro trophy class. For those that don't know the other car leaves earlier sine our car is faster :banana:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7-5GWSm3Y

rwsaunders
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Stopped back at the shop to pick up a part and this just returned from a show, on its way to California...

mister
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM

the way he said on a strip
i was thinking salt flats kinda thing not a drag strip...