PDA

View Full Version : Dynohub... any insights?

TBDSeattle
01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm dragging my arse (now larger and slower than ever!) around the lake, and I can't complete the ride during daylight hours. I'm thinking of buying a dyno hub, and the Shimano 3N80 and 3N72 seem like good options for the money.

Couple of questions:

Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the 72 and the 80?

Any suggestions for what light to pair with these hubs?

I'm looking at about $100 for the 3N80 and about $85 for the 72 for the hub only.

I'd buy a used wheel/light if someone wanted to get rid of them, but mostly I'm looking for a little advice.

Thanks all!

vqdriver
01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
here's an interesting read.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shimano3N70.asp

saab2000
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
The upper level Shimano ones are very similar. Even Peter White (peterwhitecycles.com) can't explain the differences.

A good dynamo is totally worth it though. I have a 70 (I think) and it is connected to a Supernova e3 triple. The Lumotec IQ CYO T is pretty much just as bright.

If I had my laptop I'd write a better review. Suffice it to say I am sold on dyno hubs for much riding short of racing. There are many advantages and so little additional drag with the good ones as to be negligible.

Louis
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
here's an interesting read.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shimano3N70.asp

The Schmidt Dynamo front hub or SON (Schmidt's Original Nabendynamo) is extremely reliable and has almost no drag.

It's a good thing that the SON is not completely without drag, because if it were that would mean that you're not getting any electricity from it. :p

(I assume that by "drag" here Peter means friction drag, not the eddy current damping due to the generator.)

Ken Robb
01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a SON on my Riv Allrounder and it's a lovely piece of gear. It puts out full light at no more than 5 mph and I can't feel any extra drag when I turn it on while riding. They are supposed to go 25,000 miles between servicing and I will never get there. I would take Peter White's info as gospel on these and Shimano hubs.

Louis
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
It puts out full light at no more than 5 mph and I can't feel any extra drag when I turn it on while riding.

One way to check (if you were so inclined) would be to put a wheel magnet & sensor on the front wheel (if you don't already have one) and do spin-down tests from say, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mph with the light on vs off and compare time to 0 rpm. Of course that doesn't allow you to create any drag numbers with engineering units, but it will give you a feel for the effect.

Peter B
01-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Excerpted from PW's site:

"One way to think about the added drag of the Schmidt is to compare it to climbing a hill. Well, a really not so very steep hill. When the light is turned off, the drag from the hub is roughly equivalent to climbing one foot every for mile you ride. With the light turned on, it's about the same as climbing five feet every mile."

shortribs
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the 72 and the 80?

Both are billed as "Ultegra" quality (here (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/hu10.htm) and here (http://www.longleafbicycles.com/products/dynohubs-and-lighting/dynohubs/shimano-dh-3n72-dh-3d72/)). I've been running a 3N72 daily over the past 18 months in all weather conditions paired to a B&M Cyo R and absolutely love it. It works perfectly under city conditions, and certainly can't be faulted at such reasonable prices.

Not that it matters, but appearance wise there are very subtle differences between the 3N72 & later 3N80... with the newer hub sporting a more rounded shell/body, and gaining an additional stripe.

Don't think you can go wrong either way; try one and enjoy.

shortribs
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM

Good value too, on a host of headlights from this vendor (http://www.xxcycle.com/lumotec-iq-cyo-n-plus-175qndi,,en.php).

For $75 shipped, a B&M Cyo is a cost effective introduction to generator lighting...

Ken Robb
01-23-2012, 11:17 PM
One way to check (if you were so inclined) would be to put a wheel magnet & sensor on the front wheel (if you don't already have one) and do spin-down tests from say, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mph with the light on vs off and compare time to 0 rpm. Of course that doesn't allow you to create any drag numbers with engineering units, but it will give you a feel for the effect.

Since I can't feel any difference in drag when I'm riding it isn't worth any more thought to me.

EricEstlund
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
The biggest difference between the 72 and 80 is weight- mostly in the hub shell. Both preform well.

John M
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I am sure that the Shimano hubs work well, but I have to say that the Schmidt hub is a true gem. Looks great and builds up very nicely. In use, it feels no different to me than a normal hub. I am sure that the few watts of drag is there, but it really is inconsequential.

RudAwkning
01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
I have two Schmidt SonDelux hubs which are a couple hundred grams lighter than the Shimanos. Less drag, less weight, but less output as well.

The Supernova Infinity 8 and Infinity S look like interesting options as well.

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/products/infinity_8.html

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/products/infinity_s.html

I'm considering the Inifinity S with centerlock option for my new disc equipped mixed terrain/cx bike.

shortribs
01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I am sure that the Shimano hubs work well, but I have to say that the Schmidt hub is a true gem.

Though the 3N72 dynohub on my day to day ride has been absolutely trouble free, yes, in comparison to the Schmidts it does lack...sparkle. For that I have a SON28 classic and SONdelux, both of which are gorgeous. In practice, paired to modern LED lamps all work really well.

jamesutiopia
01-24-2012, 07:06 AM
I have both (and think the 80 is a bit lighter but otherwise identical to the 72). and would consider them practically the same hub. One is rigged up the same as one below, which is easy to swap in to a road bike to extend the training season:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3375/3422866988_a6a7097132_z.jpg

staggerwing
01-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Whatever dyno hub you buy, it is a slippery slope. You will find yourself looking for similar setups for every rig in inventory, and dreaming about all night brevets.

Started with one a 3N80 on my main commuter rig and bought a second for a winter rig. Now, I'm keeping and eye out for a SONdelux for my lightweight rig. Note: the delux has slightly lower output at slow speeds since it was designed for smaller wheels, as explained on Peter White's site. With modern LED lighting, it is a non-issue.

TBDSeattle
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Great advice from all. Thank you!

I especially like the analogy to a 1 ft vs 5 ft incline over a mile.

Since the price difference between the 72 and the 80 is so small I'll just go with the 80.

A couple of people have mentioned light options... any consensus what to pair my new hub with?

Thank you again to all for your help!

saab2000
01-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Schmidt eDelux or Busch & Müller. Get the 60 lux version of the CYO if you go with the Busch & Müller. The 40 looks the same but the light output is marginal.

I have a Supernova E3 Triple and it's really bright but the beam seems to be less focused on the road in front of me. A buddy has the B&M CYO and the light is more usable if not actually brighter. And it's a less expensive light.

muz
01-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I have a Shimano 3N80 on my commute bike, have been using it for 3+ years, 15,000+ miles. I have not done a thing to it since building it, and works like it did the first day. I always hear how SON hubs are undestructable, and I admit they look cooler. 3N80 was lighter than the lightest SON hub at the time, and I think works just as well at a fraction of the cost.