PDA

View Full Version : Good Cycling Book?

moose8
01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I read a recommendation in another thread for a book called Effective Cycling: John Forester. I noticed a new edition is coming out, so I preordered it but looks like it won't ship until April. In the meantime, does anyone have recommendations for other books that cover things like technique and safety in an in-depth fashion? I'm not looking for how-to race techniques or anything, but more for everyday cycling and in particular safe cycling, as I have had some bad crashes, not frequently at all, but as I get older I am finding I would rather just avoid the crash part as much as it's within my control, as most of my crashes have all probably been partially due to poor decision making on my part. I'd like to understand braking and descending theories more if I had to pick an area. Thanks in advance.

Peter P.
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Bob Mionske's book, Bicycling and the Law.

Not only should you have the technical skills, your rights and responsibilities on the road are just as important.

The book covers accidents and product liability as well.

Written for cyclists, by a former national champion who is now a lawyer.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
An oldie-but-goodie is Davis Phinney's book on training for cycling. I think it is still around in used form (it came out in the early 90's, I think). He spends a lot of time on bike handling skills like cornering and descending, which we was just amazing at.