PDA

View Full Version : studs

Kines
12-14-2003, 08:07 AM
I have a new pair of studded MTB tires (my first) that I just haven't gotten around to breaking in. The instructions say 30 miles on regular roads first. Does anyone know how important this is? If I go ahead and ride them in this morning's fresh ice, will I damage the tires, or will they just not "perform optimally", as the instructions allude to?

Can I have a little fun today, than break them in on pavement later?

Thanks.

pale scotsman
12-14-2003, 09:21 AM
The break in is to "seat" the studs. If it were me I'd ride them right away. But then again I'm one of those guys that doesn't read directions! Maybe you can find a patch of covered concrete to do a redneck break in before heading out on the ice?

Bruce K
12-14-2003, 09:51 AM
It is my understanding that you can "lose" studs if you don't break in the tires properly.

THat may or may not be an issue for you but at almost $100 each I'd protect my investment.

BK

larryp2
12-14-2003, 03:10 PM
break them in unless you're independently wealthy....ljp

Too Tall
12-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Trust me, do what they say. You are going to LOVE these tyres.

davids
12-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Studded tires are a revelation on ice - I spent about 20 minutes yesterday, playing on a patch of ice the size of a skating rink in the parking lot of my local park.

A good set of studs turns slick ice into the equivalent of smooth pavement. It's got the added benefit of letting you safely lock your brakes and go skating on your bike!

They have their biggest benefit on smooth, icy surfaces. They also help your grip in packed, icy trails.

Unfortunately, they were no help in the deep, crunchy snow out in the woods! My ride yesterday would have been an exercise in frustration if it hadn't been so exhilerating to simply be out in the beautiful, snow-covered, frigid forest.