PDA

View Full Version : An Adventure Ride

velotel
01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Maybe I should have put the title all in caps because this was one seriously fun adventure. Plus I discovered a true soul mate, at least for riding. A lot of you already know that maxn and I both live near Grenoble and have done a few rides together. He's one of those brainy people, a scientist with a bunch of letters after his name or maybe just 2 letters in front of his name, as a d and an r. Me, I'm just an old ski and bike bum. But for some reason he seems to enjoy riding with me even though he's way younger and stronger. I think I discovered why yesterday; we both like doing crazy things on a bike. Sunday was that. Which you'll see in his video which for sure he'll post.
An afternoon ride; he's a family kind of guy, you know, the complete catastrophe, wife, kids, etc. So the morning he's off in the climbing gym doing vertical exercises with a rope instead of being a proper rider and getting an early start. Then again it was raining. But only lightly.
One o'clock, bikes loaded, we're off for the hills of Tullins. A paradise of narrow, crazy roads. And no traffic. Last ride we did together was down there. This time new territory for him, me too as it turns out.
Up and over some steep hills then up again to a ridge top. And down, steep, narrow, damp, blind curves, no traffic. I know the road so rolling at a good clip anyway, but cautiously. Hit an intersection, go right. A good climb ahead. Turns out to be a really good climb because it's been a few years since I've been there and I turned right one road too soon. Realized that after awhile but figured, what the heck, always wondered where this road went; might as well find out. Max looks at me and asks how the heck do I manage to find all the steepest roads. I would have answered but was too busy breathing. Also forgot to mention this was my first time here. Road got narrower, if possible, starting to look a bit shaky. Pavement ends, not the road. I tell Max I've never been here but I'm sure this will take us somewhere. This is where I discover a soul mate on wheels.
I head off, Max right behind. Turns into a track for mountain bikes. No problem. I've got my magic wand, wave it over the bikes, voila they're transformed into mountain bikes. Max is loving it. We're jamming, kids playing in the mud, splashing through puddles. No idea where this is taking us but I'm sure it'll take us to pavement eventually. It does. To the end of another dead end paved road. And a farm. There's a track climbing up past a barn. Might as well find out where that goes while we're here. Too soon to head back down.
Now we're into some serious mountain biking. Tried the magic wand trick but totally failed at changing the gearing. Stuck with a 34/25 for this stupidly steep and rocky and, just to really keep us honest, wet hill. I charge ahead, goes well, I'm breathing so hard I'm liable to wake the mummies in Egypt. Then I look up and see the finish, a vertical wall laughing at me. Okay, stop, stagger around searching for some air while Max steadily pedals by. Then stops at the wall. Only he's still breathing like a normal guy.
We hoof it up. And wonder where the heck we are. We're now following two tracks up a ridge, going where we haven't a clue. But it looks good. We ride a lot of it. Would have ridden more but it was too wet. No traction. Still rode most of it. Up into the woods and an intersection. We go left towards the sunny side. Not the good direction. Turn around, go the other way. Good riding except the ground is saturated, the mud slick. Pull aside to let a 4x4 grind by. See a hunter and his dog. Ask him if there's a road up ahead. Depends on where we want to go. I say, doesn't matter, any road. Okay, straight ahead there's a road. Then he notices our bikes and laughs. We're off. Downhill, water coursing down the track, wheels slipping sideways, no problem, we press on, riding well. And there it is, pavement straight ahead. We're in like Flynn. (Google it if you're too young to know what that means.)
And now the icing on the cake. Once again we're at the top of the road, a dead end at a farm. We head down and the road is a dream. We're talking perfect pavement, not a crease, not a ripple, smooth as the proverbial. One lane, no traffic, round bends, we're flying. Unreal. It was like that all the way to valley below. A long way. Don't ask, I have no idea why those roads are so beautifully paved. Maybe just for us.
Max is grinning, which for him is practically shouting his joy. That was outrageous. Yea, french road riding. I only know a few others who would have done that ride: my son and his buddies, and Max. Like I said, a soul mate found.
I didn't shoot many pics but here are a few. Including one of Max. You'll notice he's a total californian. I mean I was riding without gloves, without a hat (and no helmet either so don't bother, that's me), only a few layers, and Max is bundled up like we're riding in Alaska. Californians, totally spoiled in the weather department. Good rider anyway, even in the mud and rocks on a road bike. Gotta love that.

Louis
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
As usual, a wonderful adventure. This is my very favorite part of cycling - riding a new road / area where you have no idea what's ahead, and it turns out to be even better than you had hoped.

Thanks for sharing. :)

maxn
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm really starting to love the area around Tullins: endless possibilities for winter/cold/wet riding with lots of zero-car roads up steep hills. You could probably spend a lifetime back there linking hills together! Today was something different though (besides missing the usual HC slogs) which velotel has done a much better job describing than I could. Suffice it to say that it was a blast trying to put the power down on muddy cobbles on road rims and 23mm slicks. I was happy I pumped my tubeless tires up a little less than usual that day. Here's some advice for riding off road with velotel: don't stress trying to find a good line through the obstacles: just follow him (if you can) as he always finds the best line. I'm not embarrassed to admit that he charged up at least one grassy mud slope that I decided to walk up! Video here:

http://youtu.be/B_WSdaqCF8k?hd=1

note that I have a LOT more footage of the muddy road parts, but was in a hurry to get it edited and uploaded :)

Spinner
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
... that makes me want to go for a ride. Thanks for sharing.

pedlpwrd
01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
This is what it's all about! Adventures! I am really glad you shared this. Get me off my tail and into my saddle regardless of the freezing weather! :beer:

rwsaunders
01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Mods....please ban any photos or video content from Velotel as he is making me have lustful bike thoughts... :cool:

AngryScientist
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
good stuff, as usual. bravo men - keep up the good riding out there for the rest of us stuck in cubicles at the moment! :beer:

Ken Robb
01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
any bike-any tires-anywhere. FUN!

jr59
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I got to work on that magic wand stuff!

sc53
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow! A "Rapha" epic without anyone wearing Rapha! Great ride and ride reports, panoramas, and video, guys. Velotel--do you use a wide angle lens or did you stitch together several shots to get those panoramas? Gorgeous! We had sleet and ice here over the weekend, cold and frozen roads, no biking for me. :cool:

AngryScientist
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
IMO, posts like this are exactly what the forum needs more of.. they are awesome.

bobswire
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Velotel and Max, besides the joy I get from watching your rides they inspire me to get out and ride however the weather and to venture new roads.
:beer:

HenryA
01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Great adventure.
Please keep sharing.

alastair
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for sharing! It made me feel a little better as I sipped coffee, looking out over ice-covered roads here in the north east.

gomango
01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Great thread!

Great video.

I can't wait to get back to Bayern and ride with our family.

Ramsau area!

For a flatlander from Minnesota, this video makes me hanker for hills again.

MadRocketSci
01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
"the complete catastrophe" - hahaha!

rustychisel
01-23-2012, 09:26 PM
...We're in like Flynn. (Google it if you're too young to know what that means.)

interesting choice of phrase. Parlez Australian?

velotel
01-24-2012, 07:49 AM
do you use a wide angle lens or did you stitch together several shots to get those panoramas?
It's an 18-55, whatever that means now. The camera is a DSLR (Canon) and that's the lens it came with. My son's old camera. Apparently lens numbers on digital cameras aren't the same as on the old SLR cameras. I read once why but have forgotten. My guess it's somewhat like a 35mm lens. I'd like to get an even wider (and faster) lens some day. Plus a longer zoom, something like the equivalent to a 28-100 or maybe more.

sc53
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I guess that's pretty wide angle--at least compared to my little do-everything Canon Elph. I have been playing around with a panorama stiching program on my iPhone 4s as well, but unfortunately my results are nowhere near as nice as yours! Thanks for the info on the photography.

maxn
01-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Try stitching in photoshop or some other program like autopano. The in phone programs are ok but not great IMO

tiretrax
01-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm going to buy the french edition of Rosetta Stone on the way home. C'est tres beau!

pitonpat
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Thank you gentlemen for an entertaining ride report and video. While not quite as adventurous as your ride, I'm blessed with relatively traffic-free and somewhat remote back roads in northern Chester County, Pennsylvania, USA, where it's not uncommon to encounter the occasional gravel road within my normal riding area. Additionally, I get to see many old stone homes and barns from the 1700's. I have a great affinity for these classic old structures having grown up in one from 1736, and living for the past 30 years in a home built in 1802. I couldn't help thinking while watching the video how much history there is to be seen all around you on your rides. How fortunate you are, and thanks for allowing us to share!

Karin Kirk
01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks Velotel and Maxn for a great adventure story. I can feel the giddy vibes shining through your description. Days like that are such a ball, but are all the more fun when you have a worthy partner. Sounds like you guys are a great fit for each other, which only adds to your fortune!

Keep up the good work guys! :)

thinpin
01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Great stuff. Reminds me (the fields and lanes anyway - not the mountains) of cycling at home in Ireland in the winter. All of what you describe and Im sure the agricultural smells which abound!

rwsaunders
01-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I guess that's pretty wide angle--at least compared to my little do-everything Canon Elph. I have been playing around with a panorama stiching program on my iPhone 4s as well, but unfortunately my results are nowhere near as nice as yours! Thanks for the info on the photography.

I have a camera app on my iPad called 360Panarama...it might apply to the iPhone as well.

bobswire
01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I wanted to ask what kind of wheels/tires were you riding?

maxn
01-25-2012, 12:42 AM
thanks all! I'm looking forward to doing more riding like that this year.

pitonpat: history everywhere. I rent an apartment that has a huge plaque over the entrance describing how it was used to publish a resistance newspaper during WWII. Also, there are so many broken down chateaux that most people probably don't even notice them. For "outsiders for myself though -- I always think they are cool.

thinpin: I guess I have to plan a trip to Ireland then!

bobswire: Velotel is on Vecchio's handbuilt -- I'm sure he can fill you in on the specifics. I am on Dura ace C24 TLs with fusion 3 tubeless 23's; probably a good match for that kind of terrain.

velotel
01-25-2012, 12:55 AM
I wanted to ask what kind of wheels/tires were you riding?
Can't answer for Max, other than that he's running 23s for tires. I've got wheels from Vecchios with Vittoria Rubino Pro 25s. They seem to be a pretty fat 25 but haven't squat for tread. I've been happy with them though I think the traction on wet roads is a bit dicey. For the wheels, they're bomb proof, a pleasure from the get go. Been riding them since end of June and they're as true today as the day my son pulled them out of their sack. I have no technical data to back this up but they feel wonderfully smooth and solid even though light. Mavic rims, Record hubs, DT spokes as I recall, tied and soldered. Absolutely no hesitation taking them in places like Sunday. Fatter tires would be nice but no room in the forks, Reynolds something or other, I've forgotten the name. Good fork but clearances suck. Happily the mud didn't load up passing through the brakes. Thought of all the recent posts and short articles I've seen recently on disc brakes for road bikes and once again thought, why bother; my Record brakes work great and worked great in the mud. No doubt disc brakes would be better but for myself I have seen zero need for better.

fogrider
01-25-2012, 02:01 AM
that reminds me of the last cross ride I did last month...it always feel like an adventure when I hit the trails!

bobswire
01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Can't answer for Max, other than that he's running 23s for tires. I've got wheels from Vecchios with Vittoria Rubino Pro 25s. They seem to be a pretty fat 25 but haven't squat for tread. I've been happy with them though I think the traction on wet roads is a bit dicey. For the wheels, they're bomb proof, a pleasure from the get go. Been riding them since end of June and they're as true today as the day my son pulled them out of their sack. I have no technical data to back this up but they feel wonderfully smooth and solid even though light. Mavic rims, Record hubs, DT spokes as I recall, tied and soldered. Absolutely no hesitation taking them in places like Sunday. Fatter tires would be nice but no room in the forks, Reynolds something or other, I've forgotten the name. Good fork but clearances suck. Happily the mud didn't load up passing through the brakes. Thought of all the recent posts and short articles I've seen recently on disc brakes for road bikes and once again thought, why bother; my Record brakes work great and worked great in the mud. No doubt disc brakes would be better but for myself I have seen zero need for better.

Thanks for update. I use rubino pro 25's and really like them but my fav are the pave 24's but kinda costly for daily riding. Must say I thought you guys gave way to adventurism riding those trails with road tires. Would hate to be marooned outta the way wearing road shoes. It was bad enough on Twin Peaks here in San Francisco, three tubes flatted so I had to hike down wearing my socks (shoved some styrofoam into them that I found on the road).
Luckily I was only 6km from my home.
P.S. having cyclocross skills must have helped U. :bike:

velotel
01-25-2012, 01:20 PM
P.S. having cyclocross skills must have helped U. :bike:
What cyclocross skills? I'm an old mountain biker. Isn't cyclocross something like cross dressing?

choricoff
01-30-2012, 08:13 AM
I usually mute videos like that, but Stereolab goes really well with the ride footage. A great band to go with a great ride.

velotel
01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I usually mute videos like that, but Stereolab goes really well with the ride footage. A great band to go with a great ride.
Well there you are, different strokes and all that. Never told Max but personally I wasn't all that bumped up by the music. I was wondering who that was, just out of curiosity, definitely not because I wanted to hear more. Then again I don't know squat on music; I'm still stuck back there with Clearwater and Joe and Jimmy and Janis and a whole lot of jazz people.

gpl916
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Great story.. That IS what it's all about!