PDA

View Full Version : 41 vs 43 fork rake - Will I feel the difference?

maximus
01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
I am in the process of refinishing a frame and have a couple fork options on hand. I am thinking of replacing the original, curved fork with (43mm rake) with a straight fork (41mm rake). Both are steel.

Do you think I will notice the difference in loosing 2mm of rake?

I imagine going with the straight could change the dampening quality a bit - potentially giving it a more rigid ride quality. I just wonder if 2mm is enough to make a substantial difference in the handling quality/the way it steers?

Frankwurst
01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
I would seriously doubt it. :beer:

eddief
01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
maybe the fork was already on the ragged edge of being an incorrect rake. and you will take it to a point where you can feel it. probably not. just a thought.

Peter B
01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Check the A-C length as that will have an effect* too.

*That effect may or may not be noticeable.

Peter P.
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
You're not likely to notice a 2mm difference in rake.

The problem is, if the two forks in question deviate in length appreciably, it will influence the front end feel above and beyond the change in rake. I just don't know how much of a length difference is required to be perceptible.

I can tell you I switched to a fork with 5mm more rake than the fork previously on a bike and I could definitely feel the difference. These two forks were identical in length.

David Kirk
01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Like the smart folks have said - be sure the forks are the same length first and foremost.

Will you feel the 2 mm? Hard to say for sure. The bike will feel different with a different fork and some of that may be the 2 mm rake but you will never be able to separate the rake from the fork as a whole so there will be no way to tell.

I'd say this - it will feel a touch different on the first part of the first ride (not really better or worse) and then by the end of the ride it will feel 'normal' and you'll forget about it.

dave

BdaGhisallo
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
It depends how sensitive you are. In the past I switched between a 43 and 45 Ouzo Pro, and I could definitely feel the change. I controlled for tire pressure so that pneumatic trail didn't come into play. As was said, it depends how close, or distant, you are from the optimum trail number with your current setup. A 41mm rake will give a lot of trail unless paired with quite a steep head tube.

maximus
01-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the response guys. Feel pretty good about trying out the new fork after the advice. The axel to crown is exactly the same (365mm) - so I think this should work.

cmg
01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
which rake was the frame designed for? if designed for the 41 the 43 can make it seam twitcher. if designed for the 43 the 41 can slow the steering down. but generally speaking you have to really pay attention to notice it.