PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Bike

BumpyintheBurgh
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Just got back from Best Buy where I was shopping for a flat panel HDTV. Talking to the sales rep and the subject turned to cycling and bikes. He told me he was thinking about getting a bike and wanted to get one of those polycarbonate... bikes but that he was too heavy. I advised him to go with a steel frame because he had a limited budget. Generally when someone asks me about frames I tell them about the new plutonium frame, that it's the latest & greatest but caution that it does have a downside, "one ride and you die", but polycarbonate, that sounds promising. Anybody know the weight limit for polycarbonate? Wonder if PC will be better than the new high density polyethylene bike that I hear is in the research & development stage.

FunkyPorcini
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I prefer PVC
That's what Team Blue Man Group rides, no?

ergott
08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Just got back from Best Buy where I was shopping for a flat panel HDTV. Talking to the sales rep and the subject turned to cycling and bikes. He told me he was thinking about getting a bike and wanted to get one of those polycarbonate... bikes but that he was too heavy. I advised him to go with a steel frame because he had a limited budget. Generally when someone asks me about frames I tell them about the new plutonium frame, that it's the latest & greatest but caution that it does have a downside, "one ride and you die", but polycarbonate, that sounds promising. Anybody know the weight limit for polycarbonate? Wonder if PC will be better than the new high density polyethylene bike that I hear is in the research & development stage.

145lbs.

Better yet get unontanium. There is no weight limit and frame weight have been reported in the sub 200g range. ;) ;) ;)

William
08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Polycarboate shatters and transfers shock quite readily. I tested 3/4" & 1" dia x 31" lengths, hitting them together and against other objects. Reverb transferring the length of the rod was nasty. Delrin absorb the shock/reverb much better and wouldn't shatter in temp ranges from about 30 through 95+ degrees. I think ploycarb would be a poor material for a frame.

William

zank
08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
That is too funny. A Lexan bike frame. I haven't seen that in our weekly development highlights. Maybe Bayer or Dow is working on it :)

zank
08-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Polycarboate shatters and transfers shock quite readily. I tested 3/4" & 1" dia x 31" lengths, hitting them together and against other objects. Reverb transferring the length of the rod was nasty. Delrin absorb the shock/reverb much better and wouldn't shatter in temp ranges from about 30 through 95+ degrees. I think ploycarb would be a poor material for a frame.

William

Actually, PC is quite ductile and rarely fails in a brittle manner. Unless it was processed wet. Are you thinking of acrylic (Plexiglas)?

MartyE
08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
what temperature does one braze Polycrbonate? Is Polyvinylchloride a
better material? does it flow better when heated to brazing temps?
what abour Polyethelene and her sister PolyEster?

marty

ergott
08-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I want one LUGGED :banana: :banana: :banana:

William
08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Actually, PC is quite ductile and rarely fails in a brittle manner. Unless it was processed wet. Are you thinking of acrylic (Plexiglas)?

According to the supplier it was PC. I admit that it could possibly have been acrylic. Which ever, in full contact bashing, the shock transmission was to the point of being painful, and we broke them.

William

ergott
08-12-2005, 03:52 PM

William

Just curious, what the hell were you doing that experiment for?

"He, He. Guys, check it out. I found these tubes in that guys dumpster. Lets hit 'em together and stuff. He, he, he!"

:beer:

-Eric

William
08-12-2005, 03:57 PM

"He, He. Guys, check it out. I found these tubes in that guys dumpster. Lets hit 'em together and stuff. He, he, he!"

-Eric
Playing with sticks (http://williamsmartialblog.blogspot.com/2005/02/alternitives-to-rattan.html)

William :)

BU Racer
08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Composites and Polymers are no longer the material of choice for high end frames. High performance alloys, specifically Adamentium, have recaptured their status as the ideal material for producing the strongest, stiffest, and lightests bikes.

Adamantium is a virtually indestructible man-made steel alloy which does not occur in nature and whose exact chemical composition is a United States government classified secret. Adamantium is not an element: its properties do not qualify it for any know space on the Periodic Table of Elements. Rather, Adamantium is a series of closely related compounds of iron created through a secret process discovered by the American metallurgist Dr. Myron MacLain.

Theoretically, Adamentium has an infinite strength to weight ratio. It's basically the best material ever made, ever, and its properties will never be surpassed by future developmental materials. Composites and Polymers shatter at the sight of Adamentium, due to their brittle fracture properties, and are just too heavy to even be considered.

It is essential that Adamentium stay out of the wrong hands, and consequently the US Government is strictly regulating the production and distribution of this alloy. I think it will take Serotta a few years before they can get their hands on some for the top secret bike they are planning.

ada@prorider.or
08-12-2005, 04:29 PM
i have material thats alu together wich carbon
very light and machineble
you can make almost everything out of it
you also can weld it

Ahneida Ride
08-12-2005, 06:02 PM

-Eric

I thought the same thing but was too afraid to post !!!! :help:
I've see Uncle William do things with sticks .... :eek:
It's not nice to annoy Uncle William ........ :no:

ergott
08-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Playing with sticks (http://williamsmartialblog.blogspot.com/2005/02/alternitives-to-rattan.html)

William :)

:eek: :eek:
Note to self, don't F with William.

BumpyintheBurgh
08-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Adamantium is a virtually indestructible man-made steel alloy which does not occur in nature and whose exact chemical composition is a United States government classified secret. Adamantium is not an element: its properties do not qualify it for any know space on the Periodic Table of Elements. Rather, Adamantium is a series of closely related compounds of iron created through a secret process discovered by the American metallurgist Dr. Myron MacLain.

Theoretically, Adamentium has an infinite strength to weight ratio. It's basically the best material ever made, ever, and its properties will never be surpassed by future developmental materials. Composites and Polymers shatter at the sight of Adamentium, due to their brittle fracture properties, and are just too heavy to even be considered.

It is essential that Adamentium stay out of the wrong hands, and consequently the US Government is strictly regulating the production and distribution of this alloy. I think it will take Serotta a few years before they can get their hands on some for the top secret bike they are planning.
I heard that the government is testing Adamentium alloy for bike frames and that George W has the original prototype that he rides regularly. Waiting for a ride report.