PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Clincher comparison question

sokyroadie
01-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Well, I was on the fence about buying Carbon Clinchers for a new build, but the recent thread has convinced me that I SHOULD. I had a set previously (Reynolds Attack) which I liked, sold them on here to go a different route.

I have decided on one of the following wheelsets and was wondering if anyone had experience or knew the difference. These are both 2011 wheelsets - I believe the DV3K's have a 3K weave and the Assaults have the UD? weave.

They are both on closeout on various sites, the big issue is I need Campy and the DV3K's are all Shimano that I have found.

DV3K's - $850.00 + shipping - I would need to a Campy hub ($50-$75.00) and brake pads ($35.00-$50.00)

Assaults - $950.00 shipped - they are Campy and have the correct pads.

So the price would be about the same - but less trouble on the Assaults.

DV3K Specs:
Rim Depth: 46mm
Spoke Patterns: 20/24
Weight:1497g (C)
Hubs: Reynolds Specific Design
Front Spokes: (Radial) DT Revolution
Rear Spokes: (Radial, 2x Drive) DT Revolution and DT Competition
Brake Pads: Reynolds Carbon-Specific Design Cryo Blue

ASSAULT Specs:
Rim Depth: 46mm
Spoke Patterns: 20/24
Weight: 1483g (C)
Hubs: Reynolds
Front Spokes: DT Revolution Radial Front
Rear Spokes: DT Revolution 2x-Radial Rear
Brake Pads: Reynolds Cryo Blue

This will be on a new Serotta Ti (plain Ti) that I want to add some "Bling" to.

Braking will be a non issue where I live and I have several other sets of Hed C2 rimmed wheels (on other bikes), so these won't be ridden every day.

Let the flaming begin. :beer:

Thanks,
Jeff

wasfast
01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
The difference is the 3K weave vs UD as you surmised. Strictly appearance.

I've owned DV46C's, Strikes, and have some Assaults currently. Also owned Real Design 90mm and Hed Stinger 90. With the Reynolds, the cost difference for the hubs and bladed spokes isn't a good value to me. The lower end models are just fine. Aero wise, these are all conventional V shape so nothing of real note there either.

I haven't tried the 2011 model Reynolds that supposedly have improved braking track and different (blue) pads. Yellow Swiss stop worked fine for me at 175-180lbs