PDA

View Full Version : CDA? or CIII? Help me!

itsflantastic
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here to the forums, and soon enough I will be a new Serotta owner. . .
The question just becomes which Serotta to own, and as my fitting is monday i thought I'd come here for some input from those who know!

I'm in college and tight on money, but in love with Serotta's. So the question is this. . .CIII, CDA, or Fierte (but mostly CDA or CIII). I think that the only difference is that the cDA has the carbon rear seat stays. The benefits as I understand them:
1. catches more road vibrations
2. lightens the bike up because the carbon weighs less than steel
3. if you like that sort of look, they looks neat too.

Do they affect handling in any other way? How much weight am I saving?anything significant? Is the CIII a good competitive bike that can hold it's own against kids with carbon bikes or Cannondale 613s? I know mine will fit better, look better, ride better, and feel better. . . but wondering how the match up will be in other areas like speed and climbing ability. Aside from racing, I do like my 100 mile rides, and I'm sure the CIII would be perfect for me for that. . .
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the help! :)
Dan
p.s. I'm thinking frost white with some blue. maybe a half half fade. what do u think?

Kurt
08-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here to the forums, and soon enough I will be a new Serotta owner. . .
The question just becomes which Serotta to own, and as my fitting is monday i thought I'd come here for some input from those who know!

I'm in college and tight on money, but in love with Serotta's. So the question is this. . .CIII, CDA, or Fierte (but mostly CDA or CIII). I think that the only difference is that the cDA has the carbon rear seat stays. The benefits as I understand them:
1. catches more road vibrations
2. lightens the bike up because the carbon weighs less than steel
3. if you like that sort of look, they looks neat too.

Do they affect handling in any other way? How much weight am I saving?anything significant? Is the CIII a good competitive bike that can hold it's own against kids with carbon bikes or Cannondale 613s? I know mine will fit better, look better, ride better, and feel better. . . but wondering how the match up will be in other areas like speed and climbing ability. Aside from racing, I do like my 100 mile rides, and I'm sure the CIII would be perfect for me for that. . .
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the help! :)
Dan
p.s. I'm thinking frost white with some blue. maybe a half half fade. what do u think?

best all around frame I have ever been on for the $ - I initially did not think it was much different that my spare optimo but after spending a few days on one the differences were apparent – the club prices on a frame and fork are less than 1,400 – you can call helen’s bikes a huge chain and they will sell you one for the same price – just ask anyone that has tested a bunch of current frames, nothing is close to this one – if it fits that is.

Ken Robb
08-12-2005, 12:31 PM
my opinion is that the CDA is not worth the extra $$$$$ over the C111. I don't think any of the frames you mention will offset which rider has the better motor.

Serotta PETE
08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
You can not go wrong with either. If tight for funds I would get a CIII with a standard color. You will not get left behind by the bike. It is a great ride. PETE

bcm119
08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
If you love Serottas, you love Serottas. Theres nothing you can do.

I imagine you already are leaning towards one or the other. There is not much practical reason, aside from price, to choose one over the other. Buy whichever one you like. Neither one will be a liability on a hill, but your buddy's six13 will be lighter, without a doubt. In my limited experience with a CdA, it had a softer rear end in terms of pedaling efficiency on a sprint or climb compared to my CIII, but it may have all been in my head.

PS do a search for this topic here, it has come up before.

William
08-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Paste a piture of each on the wall, back up 10 paces, put a blindfold on and let a dart fly. If you miss both, go directly to the end of e-RICHIE's or D. Kirks line.

William ;)
PS: You can't go wrong with either one. :cool:

saab2000
08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Ciii

flydhest
08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
CIII and really good wheels

darylb
08-12-2005, 02:20 PM
I just got a cda and havent tried a CIII but from what I have read, I doubt you would notice a ton of difference. If I were buying new, I would have bought the CIII to save the money.

I find the cda to be a very good sprinting bike. In fact, that is the main improvement over my last bike. If the above poster is accurate at all, the CIII would sprint and climb fantastic.

I'm with the others, I dont think you can go wrong. I happen to love the look of the curved stays. They are shaped a little bit like a banana! :banana:

Dr. Doofus
08-12-2005, 02:23 PM
CIII

the carbon stay is smoke n mirrors

bells n whistles

after the fit, cal kelly, tell him you want a kickass race bike

that's exactly what you'll get

Fixed
08-12-2005, 02:38 PM
What Doof said ....uh what did he say?... :beer: oh well I sure it was right.cheers

Bradford
08-12-2005, 03:07 PM
CIII, especially on a budget.

MikeS
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I think if you can save on the parts you should get the CDA. I think its probably one of the best frame for the money. It is a little bit lighter - like 85grams not much but it feels different than the CIII. Its dope get the CDA.

jharsha
08-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I am also a new Serotta fan and have had my CIII about 4 months and 1900 miles. The ride is superb! You color thoughts are very similar to mine (simply white/sapphire blue)

RedCoeurd'Acier
08-13-2005, 05:27 AM
It saves my back over chip seal roads of which there's lot's of them. I'm fresh at the end of a long ride which is nice. And it's a great riding machine!! :)

Smiley
08-13-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm with Fly on this one , if you have a budget , get the C-III which I really like and spend the change on really good hand built wheels as refrenced here before from a good wheel builder .

Sandy
08-13-2005, 02:39 PM
I agree with Flydhest entirely and that is a very unusual occurrence. :)

Sandy

itsflantastic
08-13-2005, 10:57 PM
thank you for the input everyone. The verdict is in. CIII it is, and extra dough is going to go towards a nice set of wheels. I figure if i'm gonna spend such a chunk of change, I may as well do it right (so it will be a REALLY nice set of wheels, I wonder if I can afford a decent groupo after all is said and done?!). . . :)

Louis
08-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Paste a piture of each on the wall, back up 10 paces, put a blindfold on and let a dart fly. If you miss both, go directly to the end of e-RICHIE's or D. Kirks line

William,

I'm not so sure about e-Richie's line, I think he wants to ride the bike before he graduates...

Needs Help
08-14-2005, 02:01 AM
As far as the weight savings attributable to the carbon stays, you have to realize that there's some overlap between the carbon stay and the steel tubing where they join together. That overlap negates some or all of the lighter weight of the carbon. An Ottrott probably isn't that much lighter than a Legend even though the Ottrott has carbon tubes because the carbon tubes overlap with the ti tubing.