PDA

View Full Version : What is the skinny on various Serotta Forks

LouDeeter
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I've checked old postings and google search and I can't find a good single source that explains the differences for the various Serotta forks that were issued with Serotta bikes over the years, such as the F1, F2, F3, S3, different rakes, materials, etc. Is there a link to such a source or can someone educate me?

victoryfactory
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
*Subject to correction by someone who knows more*

F1 was the first Serotta carbon fork. Over designed, overbuilt metal steerer
usually for 1" as they were mostly making 1" headtubes then ca 1995-2000
Very Stiff. Still liked by some old schoolers

F2 was a rebadged Reynolds Ouzo Pro

F3 similar to Ouzo pro but slightly re jiggered (improved) by Serotta

The factory that produced Reynolds forks is now owned by Serotta and is
producing the Serotta forks.

oliver1850
01-20-2012, 11:04 PM
F1s were all 1" I think. Could be steel threaded or Ti threaded or threadless. Ti dropouts were available.

F2s had Ti crown race and dropouts.

43 rake predominated on most older frame models, at least for frames 56 cm and up. Certain models like the Rapid Tour had as much as 55 in the small sizes and 50 in the larger ones.

F3 forks came in three stiffness levels and 4 rakes, with Ti dropouts and crown race.

pdmtong
01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
F3 forks came in three stiffness levels and 4 rakes, with Ti dropouts and crown race.

exactly...my F3 is 8.5/43mm. 2 color paint on the upper and a hell of a fork

happycampyer
01-21-2012, 05:23 AM
A while back, Mike Lopez of Serotta provided some background on the difference between the F2 and the Ouzo Pro (it was not simply a rebadged Reynolds Ouzo Pro, but a modified design based on a collaboration between Serotta and Reynolds) and the F3:

"The F2 was a special version of the Ouzo Pro with a lay-up tweaked to Ben's liking, 15% stiffer laterally, and titanium hardware. The F3 was a next generation all together in it's shape, lay-up, construction method etc. It's also offered in multiple stiffness/performance levels." The post is here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=779261&postcount=23), and the full thread is here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=73046&page=1&pp=15).

Here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74612) is a thread that discusses the difference between the F3 and the S3. In response to that thread, I sent a pm to Brian Smith thanking him for chiming in with his clarification, and copied Mike Lopez. I got the following response a while later from Mr. Lopez, which might be of interest here:

Brian (and copying Mr. Lopez),

Thanks for replying to the S3 vs. F3 thread. I was hoping Mike or someone else from Serotta would chime in. I always understood the F3 to be Serotta's cost-(almost)-no-object fork or, put another way, it was the result of Serotta not being content with the the carbon forks generally available in the market and asking the designer of the then industry-leading fork (the Ouzo Pro), "design the best fork you can," and not worry about price point.

I think that it is beneficial for people, especially prospective Serotta owners, to understand that there is a reason why something costs more, that there are details that may not be obvious but justify the difference in price.
Thanks again!

Regards,

Bill
Bill,
I don't actually log into the forum when I scan it so I just found your message from June. Sorry.

Although the F3 was based on some of my OP technology it's mfg process is a bit different which adds some expense. Can't really go into that...

Another difference that adds cost is economy of scale. We built hundreds of OPs per week but we only build handfuls of F3. No comparison in efficiency.

Lastly we're molding and finishing in the US and the OP pricing was based on non-US labor rates.

Hope this helps!
Mike

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Used to be that Serotta F3 had a Ti race. :crap:
Now both the F3 and S3 have Al race.

F3 has Ti dropouts, S3 has Al dropouts.

My old F1 had both Ti race + Ti dropouts.

F1 was one heck of a fork .... but F3 is better.