PDA

View Full Version : FedEx opening packages to inspect

LouDeeter
01-20-2012, 06:43 AM
I've shipped something like 600+ frames or bikes. In all the years I've done it, I never had a shipper open the box to inspect the packaging, until the last 30 days. In December, I shipped a $2000+ frame and FedEx said that if the declared value is over $500, they are required to open the box to inspect. The guy opened the end, looked inside, said okay, and closed it. Yesterday, I shipped a $1200+ frame. This time, he looked inside and said, "You need 3" of padding on each side". I helped him remove the frame. He wrapped the corner points (headtube, bb, seattube cluster, and dropouts) with multiple bubble wrap, taped it, then repacked the box. I watched it all. He charged me $16 to do it, but in the end, it did give me peace of mind, even though I was confident that the packaging was good in the first place. Never had this happen before, so I'm not sure whether this is a new FedEx practice or just a new one at the shipper I use.

verticaldoug
01-20-2012, 06:46 AM
I suspect FedEx or the local shipper has been abused by someone making claims recently. Hence the policy change.
( I am not insinuating. In the tough economy, all sorts of things are happening, and they just pass on the extra costs to you)

sjauch2
01-20-2012, 08:06 AM
From what I've read and heard from someone who had a package damaged, UPS/Fedex is quicker at settling a claim if it was packed by one of their shipping centers. So I guess that they are checking and possibly repacking these high dollar items is a good thing.

miguel
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
inside contact says they're trying to sell packing service and materials.

fyi i have had the worst customer service at my local fedex kinkos. it's like they're hiring and receiving work at minimum wage.

1. employees don't know whether the express was picked up
2. employees unwilling to take my express envelope unless i walk all the way to the back of the store
3. employees unwilling to assist me in printing from machines (i was printing on a transparency and didnt want to 1= |_| ( |( it up coz 1.20 a sheet
4. employees unwilling to assist at photo counter

seriously, this has got to be the worst service.

sorry for the fedex rant. my local express and ground drivers are really cool guys

mister
01-20-2012, 02:35 PM
fedex kinkos and fedex aren't really the same
i make an effort to go to to a real fedex station
much better

zetroc
01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
yep - FedexOffice(FedexKinko's) is like a "UPS Store" - basically the same as shipping from Staples or Officemax. Go to the Fedex or UPS hub in your area - it may be further away, but they're generally more helpful.

Alternately, consider setting up an account and scheduling a pickup.

azrider
01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes. Never had this happen in past but new FedEx store that moved in close to my place has done it twice.

Everything was going fine until he asked the value and when i said $1200 he said, "whoa, i'll have to check it to make sure it's packed properly." I said ok and he said that newspaper and tube insulate was not considered "proper packaging material." Awesome.............SO............he recommends bubble wrap (which he provided of course and is approved and only $2 a foot or so) and proceeded to wrap it so tight that i thought he was going to snap the chainstays together.

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Looks like he's packing it to ship to Mars. Although I tend to pack stuff like that. And UPS still manages to damage it.

slowgoing
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the alert.

I've shipped something like 600+ frames or bikes. In all the years I've done it, I never had a shipper open the box to inspect the packaging, until the last 30 days. In December, I shipped a $2000+ frame and FedEx said that if the declared value is over $500, they are required to open the box to inspect. The guy opened the end, looked inside, said okay, and closed it. Yesterday, I shipped a $1200+ frame. This time, he looked inside and said, "You need 3" of padding on each side". I helped him remove the frame. He wrapped the corner points (headtube, bb, seattube cluster, and dropouts) with multiple bubble wrap, taped it, then repacked the box. I watched it all. He charged me $16 to do it, but in the end, it did give me peace of mind, even though I was confident that the packaging was good in the first place. Never had this happen before, so I'm not sure whether this is a new FedEx practice or just a new one at the shipper I use.

wallymann
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
if you're just dropping something off, the local business doesnt get a win out of it. so they act all hinky about things not being packed enough, so they can sell packing material/labour to make some money.

i had the UPS store do this with a small package which i'd wrapped with heavy craft paper and sealed edges with shipping tape. they said the entire package would need to be covered in tape, which they charged me a buck to do.

i personally think it's BS.

i bet if you checked fedex or ups policy, there is no such requirement to "inspect for proper packing over $xxxx insured value" whatsoever.

Fwiw I've shipped a half-dozen frames the last couple of months via the local fedex-Kinko's insured for up to $2K and they haven't batted an eye or even suggested they might want to inspect inside.

pitcrew
01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
It's a relatively new FedEx policy. Any item with a declared value of $499 or greater is subject to inspection.

I ship regularly with FedEx (shipped from the FedEx terminal, not a retail location) and they ask me if it's packed properly when they are processing. As long as I say "yes", they are happy and go on their merry way.

I pack frames/forks/wheels/etc pretty carefully anyway so I tell them yes and go on my way.

ringcycles
01-23-2012, 09:04 AM
thanks for the update. This will add a new wrinkle to shipping frames or wheels.

93legendti
01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
On Saturday, I dropped off a frame for shipping at a FedEx Kinkos. Declared ale was $775. They didn't open the box.

tiretrax
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Go to the fedex or ups depot, not a fedex kinkos or ups store. Not only do they want to sell you services, they may charge you higher prices.

dave thompson
01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Go to the fedex or ups depot, not a fedex kinkos or ups store. Not only do they want to sell you services, they will charge you higher prices.
I fixed it for you.