PDA

View Full Version : WAY OT: Dogs WE DID IT.

stephenmarklay
01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I seem to always get fantastic advice from this site so here I go with another odd ball question.

Our family is looking at taking in a dog. I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and it just seems like every kid needs a dog. My daughter is really hinting strongly now.

BUT, I am super anal, like a clean house, like a fur free house, like to be able to get up and go for the weekend etc etc.

So if we do this I am thinking a smallish dog that we can take with us camping or to a hotel. Won't make me crazy with messes but most important will be a good companion to my kids.

Thoughts any breeds or anything else is appreciated.

Louis
01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I have cats, not dogs, but all my buddies at work who do have dogs leave them at grandma or grandpa's house when they travel. Much less trouble than taking them along, especially when you'll also be going with kids.

illuminaught
01-19-2012, 04:12 PM
get a whippet or a ~25lb mutt... smaller than 15 isn't a dog anymore. (please rescue from a shelter/pound)... ;)

rugbysecondrow
01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
No offense, but it sounds like you ought not get a dog. Get a fish, hamster, maybe a cat, but a dog doesn't sound like he would mesh with your lifestyle.

Dogs are long commitments, 10-16 years if you are lucky.

If you are going to get one, I would go to the rescues or the pound to see what they have. Hard to beat a good mutt. Lots of rescues have dogs with foster families so they can tell you their temperament.

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't get a dog until the whole family is enthusiastic about the idea, not to mention the reality.

slowerthanyou
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Having a dog is like having a(nother) kid. They are amazing, fun, cute and a lot of work.

Louis
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
No offense, but it sounds like you ought not get a dog. Get a fish, hamster, maybe a cat, but a dog doesn't sound like he would mesh with your lifestyle.

+1

I didn't want to say this, but I was thinking it.

zap
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
snip

BUT, I am super anal, like a clean house, like a fur free house, like to be able to get up and go for the weekend etc etc.

Everyone needs to sign up.

Poodle. I prefer standard over the smaller ones.

Baby wipes. Wipe paws (etc.) after walks.

Training.

Also, consider pet care service. You and your family leave, someone comes in and either stays at your house or they come 2-4x each day to let your buddy out.

stephenmarklay
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I will be watching this closely...

We had cats before the kids and one that was like our kid. Great cat. Died just about when we had our youngest after 20 years.

The trouble with cats is that at times they just like to pee in corners and that drives me out of my mind. Dogs would certainly have accidents as well but some cats just do it to piss owners off :)

Other kind of pets are certainly not out of the question. As it is right now, I am the only one on the fence. My wife is sending me pound updates daily and my daughter is relentless.

The travel thing is that we have no family near and I can't rely on friends for my travel needs.

thejen12
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
In my experience, even hotels that accept dogs will usually not allow you to leave the dog unattended in the room. That means that whatever your activities are during the trip, the dog must be able to accompany you. Maybe this is not true for the $200+-a-night places, but it's been true for all the less expensive places we've tried. It's even true for campgrounds now-a-days.

That's one thing to keep in mind if you like to head out for the weekend on occasion.

Jenn
Santa Clara, CA

maxdog
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Dogs are long commitments, 10-16 years if you are lucky.

If you are going to get one, I would go to the rescues or the pound to see what they have. Hard to beat a good mutt. Lots of rescues have dogs with foster families so they can tell you their temperament.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

BumbleBeeDave
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
. . . if you get them young. Cats can also largely take care of themselves if needed. With a dog you absotively, posolutely HAVE to get home to walk the dog.

BBD

Ralph
01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
A dog is a major commitment. In some ways, more work than a kid. They don't grow up....they remain a dog, with needs of a dog. They will restrict your activities somewhat.

But we really miss our Beagle mix family pet. She was "family" and we never resented the additional considerations she caused.

Louis
01-19-2012, 05:09 PM
The trouble with cats is that at times they just like to pee in corners and that drives me out of my mind.

This has not been my experience. I've known / had my older cat for 20 years and my younger one for 8.5 and have never had this problem. Hairballs on the floor yes, but pee has always been in the litter box.

bagochips3
01-19-2012, 05:12 PM
In my experience, even hotels that accept dogs will usually not allow you to leave the dog unattended in the room. That means that whatever your activities are during the trip, the dog must be able to accompany you. Maybe this is not true for the $200+-a-night places, but it's been true for all the less expensive places we've tried. It's even true for campgrounds now-a-days.

That's one thing to keep in mind if you like to head out for the weekend on occasion.

Jenn
Santa Clara, CA

This is absolutely true. Went on a 2 week hotel vacation around N California and Oregon recently with our small poodle mix. Finding hotels and B&Bs that allowed dogs wasn't too hard, but we couldn't leave him alone in the room. So we couldn't go to restaurants and lots of other places because we couldn't leave the dog alone. We couldn't even take him on several hikes that I wanted to do because dogs weren't allowed. :crap: It was kind of a drag. Next vacation, he will be staying at a kennel or at a friend/family members house.

I can also recommend a poodle or poodle mix. No shedding. Minimal allergy issues (my wife is allergic to most dogs, but fine with ours). Very smart and easy to train. Check out "Poodle Rescue" or "Doodle Rescue" web sites.

SteveFrench
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Get a bobcat

pjmsj21
01-19-2012, 05:29 PM
My wife and I have had three dogs, two of which we owned when our kids were growing up and our third since the kids have departed. Like the OP we probably got our first two dogs for the kids two enjoy which they did. However we like a lot growing families only had so much time to commit to a dog, which invariably is limited. We had a golden retriever and a lab as our first two dogs and while not being bad dogs, they did not nearly come close to our current dog a Labradoodle.

Part of the current success with our dog is the breed and the breeder. I have to disagree with those who suggest going to a rescue organization, at least I wouldnt for my two kids. I am confident that my opinion on this is not politically correct.

We have put significant time into finding the breeder, the pup and significantly more time into training. The results have been very gratifying and well worth the effort.

Dogs are a major committment at least ten years. Bikes are easy...you dont like the frame, its on craigslist and its gone.

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 05:30 PM
I love dogs and I've had big ones and (now) little ones. Little ones are a bit easier in many ways and their accidents are easier to deal with.

My wife came as a package deal w/2 bichon frises. They cost $45-50 each for monthly grooming. When we travel they go to the Golden Paw--a 4 star doggy hotel. $50 or so per night. Nothing but good things to say about them and we are very comfortable leaving the boys in their care. They don't shed or smell and are still "little fluffy dog-like creatures" who love to cuddle. It took me a while to accept that they really are dogs too.

OTOH I loved to watch my pointer work a field though I didn't really hunt. She was grudgingly forgiving if I flushed her birds by throwing stones. Watching my black labrador jump off small cliffs to retrieve a stick, ball, decoy, etc. was great fun and she loved to cuddle too though her 65lbs. pushed her out of the lapdog category.

Read up on breeds because I learned a lot that I would never have guessed. For instance a Great Dane is mellow and doesn't need a lot of excercise. A Border Collie is small to medium size, smart as hell and NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!!!!!! If you don't give them a job they will make some up and you may be dismayed to see what they can wreck doing them. I still love them but it's not a breed for my lifestyle. Lucky I figured that out before adopting George from BC Rescue. Good luck.

Fixed
01-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I seem to always get fantastic advice from this site so here I go with another odd ball question.

Our family is looking at taking in a dog. I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and it just seems like every kid needs a dog. My daughter is really hinting strongly now.

So if we do this I am thinking a smallish dog that we can take with us camping or to a hotel. Won't make me crazy with messes but most important will be a good companion to my kids.

i have a dalmatian they need a lot of exercise and are great i love her to death and she goes everywhere i go .
when i was a kid we had a
poodle they come in a assorted sizes and colors
smart no shedding
imho
cheers

old_fat_and_slow
01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
BUT, I am super anal, like a clean house, like a fur free house ...

I think you may have mutually exclusive requirements. While short-haired dogs don't shed as much as cats, they certainly shed. Big dogs also have slobbering issues sometimes, as well as tendencies to drink out of the toilet, if they have access to it. If you're okay with keeping the dog outside 100% of the time, then I guess your criteria are satisfied, but dogs are social creatures, and they want to be with the alpha male (you) and the alpha female (your wife) as much as possible, and can get bored and depressed living outside all the time, especially if they're constrained to a fenced backyard in suburbia.

I second the gold fish suggestion.

1centaur
01-19-2012, 05:52 PM
If you're anal, read "The Right Dog For You"

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Dog-You-Daniel-Tortora/dp/067147247X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327016450&sr=8-1

I spent hours poring through its grids of canine behavioral traits. EVERY breed has trade-offs, and that book will tell you what they tend to be. Also, if you're anal, why would you roll the dice on a pound dog or a rescue? Knowing the breeder and the parents tells you a lot about the puppies, and getting the dog first means you don't have to worry about the psychoses of the people who owned it before you and, in many cases, were not up to the task. We all read here and elsewhere lots of stories of great pound dogs and rescues, probably because so many dogs are so awesome. But anal people try to control variables, and by using good breeders you control a lot of variables.

We're 5 months into a puppy, and it is indeed a lot of work. Our older dog has been so good for so long I forgot how much work it can be. But that work can be a great thing for kids if the parents are up to involving them all along the way. Many parents can't close that deal, so know yourself and your family. Finally, any dog can turn out to be neurotic and do what your cat did. Most dogs will test you, especially males around 1 year old just starting to really feel their oats. But you very rarely hear dog owners be anything but happy with their companions, so that must mean something.

GuyGadois
01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
I think I've got the perfect dog for you. Hypoallergenic, minimal shedding, stays on command, doesn't eat, sh*t or drink. Loves to travel. You can pick it up at any time and go.

http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo/dog-alleyjpg-e6c83e61286c29df_large.jpg

rugbysecondrow
01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Shedding is just one aspect of having a dog. There are BM/Piss issues, dirt from outside, water drippings from the bowl, food and crumbs, chewing on stuff (toys, eye glasses, the wall), grooming, clipping poo from the hair of your non-shedding dog, barking, midnight trips outside for the restroom, hours of dog training, fear of the dog biting kids or strangers, walks when you are tired, expensive vet bills, the worry when the dog gets loose, the pain when the dog dies or gets sick.

Dogs are a pain in the ass and if you don't really want one, all of those things above, and more, will grate at you quite often. If you want a dog, really want a dog, you will ignore far more of the above than is rational and somehow love it.

Ahneida Ride
01-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Consider a Wheaten Terrier ....

Better yet .... consider none

stephenmarklay
01-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I really appreciate each and every one of these comments. I will be thinking long and hard about this.

Part of me says "just say no". The other part of me says that's not fair. I live in a home with 3 other people and I am not the dictator in the house.

Additionally, not that many years ago I did not really want kids (at all). My wife had always wanted kids but we put that off for schooling and such. Then when she had enough of that we had a hard time.

Now I would be lost without the kids. They are our lives and I am happy we had time without them but I have never felt more whole as I do now.

I love animals. So that's not the issue. If we go forward with it I won't look back.

Again I have asked a wide variety of topics on this forum and appreciate the responses each time.

GregL
01-19-2012, 07:38 PM

I'd go with the "better yet" option...

My family has a Wheaten. Wheatens don't shed, so there is absolutely no dog hair in the house. He is a wonderful member of the family, but...

- very high energy, needs lots of walks and play time
- very smart, but very independent; training takes twice as long as some more docile breeds
- our particular Wheaten loves mud; lots of cleaning required!
- Wheatens were bred to kill vermin; to a Wheaten, anything small and furry is vermin, including cats, guinea pigs, squirrels, and oh yeah, skunks :crap: there's nothing like giving a long-haired dog a skunk bath at midnight!
- the long Wheaten coat is like velcro - it picks up everything outside and brings it into the house; in the winter, he brings in piles of snow on his paws

On the plus side, he loves kids, loves to travel, and loves family activities. He is a blast to hike with. We couldn't imagine life without him!

- Greg

gavingould
01-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I'll agree with the posters that say a dog might not be ideal for you...

But I'll throw in my two cents on an awesome breed - greyhounds. Readily available from rescue organizations as ex-racers, short fur/minimal shedding, don't need a lot of exercise. If you have a fully fenced in yard and can let 'em go nuts, they'll love it, but I live in a one bedroom apartment and my hound gets 3 or 4 10-15 minute walks a day and he's plenty happy. Doesn't bark - as a breed they're usually very quiet. Gentle with kids and friendly with other dogs. Sleeps about 22 hours a day.

Caveats- mine had separation anxiety that was pretty bad for about a year. He'd cry and howl when left alone, and get so nervous he'd have accidents. Not all of them suffer from this, but it does happen probably more often with greyhounds due to their history. Usually they have bad teeth after coming from the track. Likes to 'cuddle' at night, meaning you have a 75lb bag of bones hogging the bed. However they can be trained to do damn near anything, even stay off the bed...

stephenmarklay
01-19-2012, 08:12 PM
This is a breed we have talked about.

I'll agree with the posters that say a dog might not be ideal for you...

But I'll throw in my two cents on an awesome breed - greyhounds. Readily available from rescue organizations as ex-racers, short fur/minimal shedding, don't need a lot of exercise. If you have a fully fenced in yard and can let 'em go nuts, they'll love it, but I live in a one bedroom apartment and my hound gets 3 or 4 10-15 minute walks a day and he's plenty happy. Doesn't bark - as a breed they're usually very quiet. Gentle with kids and friendly with other dogs. Sleeps about 22 hours a day.

Caveats- mine had separation anxiety that was pretty bad for about a year. He'd cry and howl when left alone, and get so nervous he'd have accidents. Not all of them suffer from this, but it does happen probably more often with greyhounds due to their history. Usually they have bad teeth after coming from the track. Likes to 'cuddle' at night, meaning you have a 75lb bag of bones hogging the bed. However they can be trained to do damn near anything, even stay off the bed...

gavingould
01-19-2012, 08:22 PM
If you have specific questions, feel free to message me. My sister in law has a greyhound and two beagles, and I know a few other greyhounds/owners locally.

sc53
01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
The trouble with cats is that at times they just like to pee in corners and that drives me out of my mind. Dogs would certainly have accidents as well but some cats just do it to piss owners off :)
Believe me, dogs do this too. Not to piss you off, they are not as conniving as cats, but because they are anxious or lonely or bored or hell just have to go and you are not around! I am an audiophile and have a set of very expensive rosewood floorstanding speakers in my basement "listening room." Imagine my horror when I discovered that Willy, my big sweet black Lab, was sneaking down there at night to lift his leg on the speakers! Apparently, since he was never allowed down there, he thought it was not part of the "house" and thus must be "outside" and an acceptable place for relieving himself. There are gates blocking his access to the basement level of my townhouse now, and to the living room.

stephenmarklay
01-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Believe me, dogs do this too. Not to piss you off, they are not as conniving as cats, but because they are anxious or lonely or bored or hell just have to go and you are not around! I am an audiophile and have a set of very expensive rosewood floorstanding speakers in my basement "listening room." Imagine my horror when I discovered that Willy, my big sweet black Lab, was sneaking down there at night to lift his leg on the speakers! Apparently, since he was never allowed down there, he thought it was not part of the "house" and thus must be "outside" and an acceptable place for relieving himself. There are gates blocking his access to the basement level of my townhouse now, and to the living room.

My speakers (LS3/5a) sit on stands thank god :) That is a horror story!!

sc53
01-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes I felt physically sick one day when I removed the grilles for dusting the beautiful wood and saw -- some sticky substance -- all over the base of the speaker and on the woofer cones! Thank god I had the grilles on the speakers, they bore most of the brunt of his assaults. I had to throw them away though.

moose8
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
A dog is a lot of work, but you really don't notice it after awhile because like anything else it all becomes part of your routine - you should get one if you like animals and your family would like it. A dog is way easier than kids - the stakes just aren't anywhere near as high.

I have a rescue dog as mutty as a mutt can be, and I take her everywhere (except long bike rides on the road). She's 26 pounds, which seems to be a pretty perfect size for doing everything I like to do, but small enough that she can be brought a lot of places a bigger dog just couldn't. She's done up to 10 mile hikes and been totally fine with it.

I would be careful going the rescue route if that's how you go - get one young enough that it hasn't been all screwed up by unkind people and you'd probably be fine, though. My dog was a total basket case the first year I had her - she used to fall asleep standing up in my apartment because she was so tense she wouldn't relax. She was estimated to be between 2-3 at that point by a couple of different vets. She had all sorts of worms too. She also can't handle being around little kids for an extended period - she has bitten my 6 year old nephew a couple of times, which fortunately for all involved were viewed as "see, this is why you need to be careful around dogs" - had she been bigger the bites could have been bad. She eats poop, and she is crazy racist. But she's a dog who was abused, so it's not like you can blame her for some of her stranger behavior. Even with all her weirdness, I wouldn't trade her for pretty much anything. As I type this, she's now staring at me and barking at me, most likely because I didn't take her for her morning bike ride because of the weather and now she's antsy.

I guess it's a long-winded way of saying a dog is totally worth it if you go in with eyes open. I hardly think it's unique not to like fur and slobber everywhere, but you deal with it and it's all controllable if you find the right dog.

And on the greyhound route, I've known four of them pretty well, and three were awesome, and the fourth was totally insane and would destroy furniture and just be pretty crazy. The other three though, except for their horrendous breath and incredible squirrel-killing tendencies, were among the nicest, mellowest dogs I've known. The whippet suggestions seem good, too, and I would add Italian greyhounds to the list.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you decide.

pdmtong
01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Go big or go home!

kidding aside, we are bigger dog people. had an alaskan malamute, greyhound, now white german shepard (who seems small at times)

I think my life to date vacuum cleaner bag investment is at least 4 digits.

Better diet and highly digestables foods result in manageable compact poops.

Training and consistency from birth matter a lot. The dogs are consistent in where they pee and poop. I can "run" them on leash using a bike.

Same scenario...daughter really wanted a dog. After many years of no dog hair around now I have a very happy kid and dog hair everwhere. I also got a better vacuum cleaner

Life is short. and the score is 3 to 1....

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
My speakers (LS3/5a) sit on stands thank god :) That is a horror story!!
Surely you must have a sub-woofer to worry about. :)

stephenmarklay
01-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Surely you must have a sub-woofer to worry about. :)

I once had one but I don't any more. However the matching, no longer made, stands (solid walnut) would be easy prey.

Sandy
01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
I think you may have mutually exclusive requirements. While short-haired dogs don't shed as much as cats, they certainly shed. Big dogs also have slobbering issues sometimes, as well as tendencies to drink out of the toilet, if they have access to it. If you're okay with keeping the dog outside 100% of the time, then I guess your criteria are satisfied, but dogs are social creatures, and they want to be with the alpha male (you) and the alpha female (your wife) as much as possible, and can get bored and depressed living outside all the time, especially if they're constrained to a fenced backyard in suburbia.

I second the gold fish suggestion.

Very strong opinion- Anyone who keeps his dog outside 100% of the time should never have a dog. That is insensitive and non-caring to the dog and its needs. Why have a dog if the dog is going to be outside all the time? For what purpose? It is really so unfair to the dog and would undoubtedly be detrimental to dog/human interaction and possibly very dangerous to those who reside in the house.

I would make some exception to the above if the dog was a working dog with a real job, and that exception would be limited.

Would you (anyone who reads this) want to be left outside all the time?

Sandy

dogdriver
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Black Labs rock

cat6
01-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Get a bobcat

+1

my 6 year old bobcat can easily fend for himself for weeks on end. plus he loves to cuddle!

verticaldoug
01-20-2012, 03:56 AM
Hi Steve,

As a parent, sometimes you need to be a dictator. The big question is does your lifestyle accommodate a dog? If not, are you willing to change to accommodate the dog?

I grew up with dogs: beagles, basset hound, cock-a-poo. My parents lifestyle made it easy to keep dogs. For us, packing up for the weekend meant going to the cabin on the lake.

As an adult, as much as I love dogs, my family's life style does not easily accommodate a dog. I travel quite a bit for work. My wife and children spend part of the summer away. My daughters sports schedule have serious travel commitments. It just isn't fair for us to have a dog.

However, my daughters do love dogs. We have friends with 4 small dogs - 3 Chihuahuas and a Yorkie which my daughters dogsit when they travel. Last summer, my daughters did a fund raiser at a horse show for friends who run a no-kill shelter. We have another friend with a pair of aussies who love to go on trail runs with us. You'd be surprised how many people with dogs are looking for a dog walker. . . When my daughters were younger, they were also relentless about getting a dog. However, saying 'no' was the right decision for us.

My advice is take your time making the decision. As another poster already suggested study up on breeds. If you decide to get a dog, some breeds are better first dogs. And don't kid yourself, after the first year, I expect you to be taking care of the dog. And if you don't want to do that.... dictator is an option.

Douglas

rugbysecondrow
01-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I think that is the point he was making.

Agree with you. Oddly enough, we have a dog house because my chow mix loves to rest outside in it. We were disqualified from one rescue because to the a dog house signaled that we might leave the dog outside 100 % off the time.

Very strong opinion- Anyone who keeps his dog outside 100% of the time should never have a dog. That is insensitive and non-caring to the dog and its needs. Why have a dog if the dog is going to be outside all the time? For what purpose? It is really so unfair to the dog and would undoubtedly be detrimental to dog/human interaction and possibly very dangerous to those who reside in the house.

I would make some exception to the above if the dog was a working dog with a real job, and that exception would be limited.

Sandy

victoryfactory
01-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Get a bobcat

Thanks to you, I now have to clean the coffee off my keyboard!

Actually, I know a guy who had a CoataMundi Everything was ok when it was
a baby, but as that thing grew up it ripped him to shreds. Finally he had to
give it to a zoo. Wild animals as pets are not recommended.

VF

stephenmarklay
01-20-2012, 06:22 AM
As a child we had a dog that stayed on a leash outside. I would never in a million years do that.

Sandy

stephenmarklay
01-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Black Labs rock

Very cute.

stephenmarklay
01-20-2012, 06:23 AM
+1

my 6 year old bobcat can easily fend for himself for weeks on end. plus he loves to cuddle!

I thought that was sarcasm?

stephenmarklay
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
The truth is that our lifestyle is does support a dog. With our jobs one of us is almost always home. Its more my mindset.

I told my wife next week we will research the local kennels in the event we leave for a weekend which we like to do but in reality it is not that often.

We are not rushing this and perhaps they will move on but if not we will have done the research.

William
01-20-2012, 06:35 AM
We've got a Boxer and a Basset Hound, both are great dogs, and both came from a rescue. We went with breed specific rescues where they foster the dogs to get a sense of their personalities and pinpoint any behavior issues if there are any. This way they can better place the dogs in appropriate homes for a better chance at a successful adoption. My mom is a foster for Japanese Chins. Small, nice dogs, just not for us.

Rhea Basset is a great dog. Wonderful with our kids. A bit of regular maintenance with the long ears and shedding but if you're regular with brushing not too much of an issue.

Emmitt the Boxer is a hoot. Very smart, playful, and a big hug bug. Kind of like having a very smart kindergartener in the house. He doesn't shed or slobber much and he's pretty low maintenance.

Both may be a little bigger than you are thinking (Basset Hounds are big dogs with itty-bitty stumpy legs), but they are good family dogs.

William

yakstone
01-20-2012, 07:45 AM
There are lots of websites out there with dog info.
I have had dogs most of my life except for a 4 or 5 year stint when I was single and travelling a lot.
When my wife and I finally decided to get a dog she was undecided on what type of dog. I have had Bouvier de Flanders most of my life; which, of course she had never heard of.
Purina.com used to have a "dog matcher" feature on their website which my wife found and used. Interesting thing was that after she entered all of the information "Bouvier" was the only dog that matched 100%.
Like everyone else said, "dogs are a huge commitment." It sickens me to see the fickleness of many people that shows in the number of dogs in shelters.
If you make the commitment, beware that it is a life long commitment. Dogs NEVER stop looking for their original owner, NEVER! our dog is a lot of work. I do all of the grooming and he goes to "Dog School" every Saturday with me, and goes just about everywhere I go. He is fine in the car if we are out of town and want to grab dinner somewhere. Dogs are versatile and will adapt to your lifestyle, provided their needs are also met.
Any dog you get will require a ton of work and compromise but the bond between canine and master can't really be put into words. Read "Marley and Me" if you want to get a feeling of what that is like.
I am glad to see that you are taking this decision very seriously.

djg
01-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Well, if you are super anal, how about a smallish dog that doesn't shed much? A miniature schnauser (not a toy) is a very nice dog with kids, easy to take in the car, and won't make a mess of your house. We still miss ours -- died this past fall (an old dog with various health problems) -- he'd been a great friend and companion to my older daughter especially.

67-59
01-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Another +1 for a cat.

We have left town for two weeks and only had a friend fill the food/water bowls and empty the litter box every 2 or 3 days, and done fine. And we haven't had the pee on the floor issue.

Don't get me wrong - I love dogs. But I love to have the freedom to travel even more.

HSG Racer
01-20-2012, 08:07 AM

I will second that. Wheaten Terriers are beautiful dogs and great for kids. Some family friends of ours have one and it's just a delight.

Anyone considering a dog should really take a serious look at Wheaten Terriers but they are pricey.

HSG Racer
01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Word of Caution -

DON"T PUT THE DOG ON THE ROOF OF THE CAR WHEN GOING ON VACATION ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAN TO RUN FOR OFFICE AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE!

http://www.wesh.com/media/400x300/30205001.jpg

daker13
01-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Me and my family just went through a lot of the concerns you mention in your post. We got our first dog, a 40 lb beagle/lab/border collie mix, last March. Here in New England there are actually few dogs to adopt, especially puppies, so adoption outfits (PAWS New England is the one I used) interview owners and then ship the dogs up from the South (mine is from Tennessee). I found mine through petfinder.com. Here's his listing if you're interested--make sure and watch the video, which really hooked my daughter: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18541762

I remember the first few days, lying in bed and trying to figure out how to return him. I imagined a future of poop-stained floors, chewed up records and furniture, and constant demands for attention. But actually, he has been an awesome dog. Outside of a few adolescent bouts of intestinal parasites, he has only had a couple accidents early on; for the majority of dogs, soiling their den (ie, your house) is the last thing they want to do, and is actually deeply upsetting. He hates the feeling that he's done something wrong, and thus rarely chews things up (the key, they say, is to keep rotating in new toys). He sheds very little, and I'm a bit of a germophobe and allergic to cats. You just have to brush them and give them baths every week or so if it bugs you, or send them to a groomer.

We travel with him if we're going to see family, otherwise we have a dog sitter who puts him up. As Cesar Milan says, dogs actually love to travel: they love being part of the family posse. Longer trips we send him to the dog sitter. He needs about two good walks a day. I've met a lot of cool people at dog parks, too.

It's natural to have second thoughts when you're thinking about getting a dog--much like having a kid. But that dog's connection to you and loyalty to you is really intense and impossible to explain; and seeing the dog's pleasure in living is really special. Feel free to pm me if you want, and good luck. I also recommend Cesar Milan's books and the Monks of New Skete books.

mister
01-20-2012, 09:04 AM
to the OP, don't rush into getting a dog. please rescue one though, there are plenty of dogs that need homes so no need to go to a breeder. save one.

please take your dog to obedience classes, the classes are more for you and your wife than the dog,you can then teach your kids how to interact with the dog. you have to know how to communicate with the dog and be its master/leader of the pack.

research breeds. figure out what you want then go to shelters looking for breeds or mixes of the breeds you're interested in.
on rescuing the greyhound. that's a nice idea. my brother has had a few and i also see them walking with their owners all over the place here, they are always quite relaxed and mellow.

with the smaller breeds, they tend to have less bite inhibition than larger dogs. something to think about with the younger kids who may grab the little dog how it may see as threatening.

remember the dog will need to be a part of your family. you and your wife need to both be into the idea of a dog. the dog will need constant interaction with everyone, boarding while you're out of town is always an option, but it will require more planning then just coming home friday evening and deciding you want to take the family out of town for the weekend.

dog training. do it. it's a must.

stephenmarklay
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Such good advice. I will look into wheaten terriers. Greyhounds are a good option since we have a local track and there is a local rescue for these dogs. Lots to choose. Not small though.

Boy I do like boxers but also not small.

old_fat_and_slow
01-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Sandy
Seems like your personal agenda, is clouding your comprehension skills.

What part of...

"but dogs are social creatures, and they want to be with the alpha male (you) and the alpha female (your wife) as much as possible, and can get bored and depressed living outside all the time, especially if they're constrained to a fenced backyard in suburbia.
I second the gold fish suggestion". ....

.... did you find that difficult to understand.

Seems, to me at least, that I stated the impact of leaving a dog outside 100% of the time would be detrimental to the dogs mental health.

Please try to read a little more carefully before you seize the opportunity to condemn others, jump on your soapbox to proselytize your dogma, and advance your personal agenda.

DogpawSlim
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I have a whippet/beagle mix. He is basically a cat; cleans himself, self exercises, and is happy doing nothing for long periods of time. I also have an aussie/pit mix who is the complete opposite.

Forget about "get up and go" trips when you add dogs to the equation. More like "get up and go on two or more extra trips to the car to load the dog stuff," and "get up and go to a Motel 6 because they are the only sub $200/night hotel that allows dogs."

Wilkinson4
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Save a dog. But, I am partial to my Welsh Spinger Spaniel. About 45lbs, coat easy to maintain. He is like velcro and kind of needy. Loves kids.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7150/6733905755_e934b67281_m.jpg

I have thought about a Welsh Terrier but not sure I am the Terrier type, they have their own set of challenges.

mIKE

djg
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I will second that. Wheaten Terriers are beautiful dogs and great for kids. Some family friends of ours have one and it's just a delight.

Anyone considering a dog should really take a serious look at Wheaten Terriers but they are pricey.

Our remaining dog is supposed to be a Wheaten Terrier mix -- definitely not a pure bred WT, and a bit small for the breed, so apart from the dirty blond hair, who knows? Sweet dog, though. Lucky, the rescue dog.

Z3c
01-20-2012, 09:21 PM
We have a Schnauzer that is 12 years old. Doesn't shed, very loyal and protective of the family, has just been a great dog for us. Teach them right from a puppy and they are quiet. I know that if he barks, something is up. Overall, just a great addition to the family.

CaptStash
01-20-2012, 11:03 PM
If you make the commitment, beware that it is a life long commitment. Dogs NEVER stop looking for their original owner, NEVER! our dog is a lot of work. ....

I have to take issue with that statement. We have owned and bred Airedale terriers for 20 years. Two of our dogs came to us from previous owners. The first, my dear sweet Emily, moved in at six years of age soon after our first bitch Sadie died. Emily was given to us from a breeder friend who knew we missed Sadie and who needed a new home for Emily since Emily was done breeding and seemed to want more attention than she was getting at her first home. Emily saw her original owner occasionally, and never showed any distress, or desire to go home to Canada. She was our dog.

The second is our present nutty two year old Nani. She also came from a breeder friend in Canada, and is similarly inclined. She spent last spring back in Canada with the breeder finishing her Canadian championship but was thrilled to be home, and acts the same way Emily did around her original owner.

I think it just depends on circumstances. I know many people who have had great luck with rescues. But as someone mentioned, it is important that the rescue be vetted to insure it has an acceptable temperament to be happy in your circumstances. It's not fair to you or the dog if it isn't comfortable around your kids, you your wife etc.

We obviously wet the purebred route and are deliriously happy with our pups. Of course, with Airedales, you have to have a sense of humor since they are easily the nuttiest dog out there.

We tried the Purina test too by the way and came up with all kinds of odd answers. Never were able to trick it into saying Airedale no matter what we tried, so I have a bit of a bias against it. I do think you should do a lot of research on breed characteristics, and then talk to some breeders.

If you do go with a pure bred dog, look for a well known breeder that you personally like. A good breeder will be there for you to ansswer questions later on. A very good sign is if they ask you a lot of questions and make you feel like they are checking you out to insure that you are a good fit for their dog.

Non-shedding dogs not yet mentioned: Portugese Water Spaniels and any of the wire haired terriers - Airedale, Irish Terrier, Fox Terrier, Welsch Terrier to name a few.

Good luck.

Stash....

old_fat_and_slow
01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
...But, I am partial to my Welsh Spinger Spaniel. About 45lbs, coat easy to maintain. He is like velcro and kind of needy. Loves kids.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7150/6733905755_e934b67281_m.jpg

mIKE
Hey, that's a nice lookin' dog. I've always liked Brittanys and English Springers. I didn't even know there was a "Welsh" Springer.

Wilkinson4
01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey, that's a nice lookin' dog. I've always liked Brittanys and English Springers. I didn't even know there was a "Welsh" Springer.

Oh yea, check em out. They look more like an English than a Brittney, but are crimson and white and have shorter ears so they don't bring up 1/2 gal. of h2o when they get a drink. Great personality, loyal, but known as a velcro dog... They like their people way more than other dogs for sure:D

He follows me everywhere. When I first got him he would follow me into the bathroom, and stick his head in the shower. I think he thought his master would disappear.

mIKE

luigi22
01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
no going back (i would hope) once you bring him in. i would also vote for a rescue mutt. mutts are generally genetically healthier (as opposed to, for example, european royalty in the 19th century).

pjmsj21
01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
To the OP, here is a little known breed, albeit not AKC recognized but one that might make sense for you. They are relatively small, do not shed and sound like a great dog. They arent cheap at around $1,400 but the real cost of a dog is not the original purchase but 10-15 years of food and vet bills.

http://ourganaraskans.com/About_the_Breed.html

HenryA
01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I can see multiple big wads of dog hair around the room as I type this. I'll be happy to box some up and send it to you to help you get over some of your potential dog owner issues.

Seriously, get a rescue puppy or young dog and don't look back. A little training for the dog and everyone grows up happily. Be sure to teach the kids to help care for the dog. Your dog will become family.

stephenmarklay
01-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the thoughtful posts. After reviewing the the posts, thoughts and family gatherings we did it.

That is we went to the Humane Society and adopted a 2.5 year old CAT :)

I think it was the right family move and saved a nice cat.

1centaur
01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Happy for you and the cat. The funny thing about cats is that they tend to act indifferent but also tend to be emotionally sensitive. Give him/her lots of love, and don't believe it when it acts like it does not care.

Louis
01-28-2012, 10:24 PM
That is we went to the Humane Society and adopted a 2.5 year old CAT :)

I think it was the right family move and saved a nice cat.

Awesome !!!!!!!!! :hello: :hello: :hello:

It's great that you chose to go that route. I'm a big-time animal lover, and like cats and dogs equally, but because cats are so much simpler, especially for a single guy, I've always had them instead of dogs.

About 9 years ago, back when I lived in an apartment complex, my older cat discovered a mother cat who was living outside raising 5 kittens. I asked around and found out that someone else had called the humane society, who had come out and placed a trap. The mother and some of the kittens went in, but once the door closed some of the kittens were outside, and of course, no humane society person there to take any of them. The residents in the apt complex who were aware of what was going on and following things released the mother and the trapped kittens and we fed them all for a few weeks. I took the trap so it could not be used to catch them again, and when the kittens were old enough to be weened we found homes for the kittens and I adopted the mother.

She turned out to be the sweetest thing, and I always think what a shame it would have been if she had been taken to the humane society and ended up in the gas chamber. So now she she's happily living with us, and helps to keeps the indoor mouse population under control.

Nyx on her favorite pillow:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=32273&stc=1

Karin Kirk
01-28-2012, 11:08 PM
That's a great story Louis, nice work on saving that sweet cat! Love that pillow too.

Stephen, congrats on the new member of the family. Cats are wonderful companions. Tell us more and post a pic or two when you get a chance.

stephenmarklay
01-29-2012, 06:54 AM
He came with the Name Tiger. Common Tabby. We had a Tabby for 16 years and he passed in 2006 from cancer. He was a fantastic cat. Not aloof, never scratched or bit even when playing hard.

This cat is a spitting image. He is 2.5 so not as robust in the gut but uncanny. Demeanor is very similar also.

Very mellow. Didn't cry coming home barely a peep last night and does not appear to be phased by the move. He hid under the couch for maybe 10 minutes even with my 6 year old poking at him and running around.

I think he is going to be a great cat.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
This has not been my experience. I've known / had my older cat for 20 years and my younger one for 8.5 and have never had this problem. Hairballs on the floor yes, but pee has always been in the litter box.

Me too...6 cats over the last 20 years. Yes, they don't have owners, they have 'staff', gonna be their idea to do anything but very clean, very affectionate and need almost no real 'care' other than a snuggle.

BUT if ya get a gato, keep them inside. In my neighborhood, we have lost 2-3 outdoor cats to the local opossum, racoon and fox population.

Ken Robb
01-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Happy for you and the cat. The funny thing about cats is that they tend to act indifferent but also tend to be emotionally sensitive. Give him/her lots of love, and don't believe it when it acts like it does not care.

Cats are a lot like teenagers. :)

Ken Robb
01-29-2012, 12:27 PM
One neighbor has two cats that she lets play on the grass at her front door. They come in when she calls them. They get along very well with our two bichon frises and often get nose-to-nose with them.

Then there is Jellybean the large ginger tom who follows along when his canine brother goes for his walk. Dog is on leash but not the cat. Our dogs love them both.

I had a shiny black cat and a black lab that slept together so wrapped up I couldn't always tell where the dog ended and the cat began.

I'm not sure where "fights like cats and dogs" got started. :banana:

pedlpwrd
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
I have been watching this thread out of curiosity to its end, and I am so happy for you and for your family's new cat! Great decision execution!!! :beer:
I miss my cat.

SEABREEZE
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Either you like dogs and except the hassels that come along with it, or you dont, because of the hassles involved.

Remember most everyone here is looking out of the same side of the picture window, pets, but from the other side of the pane, there is another view. Dogs that work, and I cant be without them. They protect my flock, heard livestock, etc.

Sandy a vet friend of mine has two andoloanians that guard his mobile chicken tractor flock. That is moved from pasture to pasture to free range daily.
They are always outdoors, and have a great life, they live to work, have daily interaction with owner, fresh water and feed. Foul weather they go under the portable coop to escape and also during the hot part of the day.

I do understand your statement about dogs should not be left out all the time, but I'm sure your just referring to folks who have them as pets... I agree with you.

classtimesailer
01-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I haven't read through all the suggestions, but my rec is the Poodle. You pick the size and the color. They need regular grooming, but that can be fun -- like changing bar stem seat wheels combos. Cleanest dogs available wrt to hair and stuff.

Fixed
01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
i spend way more time with my dog than with anybody .
she spends all day ,everyday with me . ( poor thing :) )
we run together it is a the high light of our day well next to feeding time .
cheers

Karin Kirk
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
He came with the Name Tiger. Common Tabby. We had a Tabby for 16 years and he passed in 2006 from cancer. He was a fantastic cat. Not aloof, never scratched or bit even when playing hard.

This cat is a spitting image. He is 2.5 so not as robust in the gut but uncanny. Demeanor is very similar also.

Very mellow. Didn't cry coming home barely a peep last night and does not appear to be phased by the move. He hid under the couch for maybe 10 minutes even with my 6 year old poking at him and running around.

I think he is going to be a great cat.
Oh he is super cute! I love grey tabbies and he is an especially nice one. He's got some spunk in him, it looks like. I think Tiger is one of the most popular cat names, along with Rascal. He is lucky to have found you. That's great to hear that he is getting started on a good note. :)

AgilisMerlin
02-08-2012, 09:18 PM
got fin at pound. half golden: half cocker

biggest male in liter. weight 40lbs

few commands. little lion. good around my kids. He tells them when he has had enough. boss of my lab, at 1/2 the weight

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7176/6844457801_1be2a6bac4_z.jpg

Louis
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM
got fin at pound. half golden: half cocker

Good for you (and him). Looks like he's already made himself at home.

stephenmarklay
02-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh he is super cute! I love grey tabbies and he is an especially nice one. He's got some spunk in him, it looks like. I think Tiger is one of the most popular cat names, along with Rascal. He is lucky to have found you. That's great to hear that he is getting started on a good note. :)

Boy Tiger is fitting in really well. He came with that name and responded to it so we just kept it for him. He has settled in very nicely. He is super tolerant of my kids. My 3 year old chases him around and he takes it all in stride.

He gets a lot of love around here. He gets a lot of brushing and such. He once put his claws on our new couch and now has rubber claw covers. They are super slick and he does not mind them at all. Since he is strictly inside its not a problem.

We are all very happy about him and I can tell he is digging it around here.

Louis
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Boy Tiger is fitting in really well. ...
We are all very happy about him and I can tell he is digging it around here.

More great news. :hello:

Also, I'm glad you decided to not amputate the tips of his fingers. (Which is what "de-clawing" really is.)